Question 1st Time to Bonaire / Theft from vehicles while shore diving / Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan V

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been doing some preplanning for my upcoming to Bonaire and have been reading all over the internet that theft from vehicles, while people are diving, is a possibility. I've been to quite a few places diving and I remember this being a big thing at Puerto Rican beaches. I've been down there 3 times and have never had this issue. I know common sense goes a long way as far as not bringing valuables (phones, cash, spare camera equipment) but what do people do with spare tanks that they have in the back of rental trucks when planning several sites in one day. If you're going to a distant location from the main parts of the island and want your tanks for the day what are the odds of them being stolen?

I'm also wondering if anyone would like a "tag-along" on a few dive trips so I can get the feel and orientation of diving in Bonaire. I live in a rural area in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan and for the most part, we are all solo divers. The nearest dive partner I have is an hour away when he is not down south working dredges, and my other dive buddy is 4 hours away. You dive solo or you don't dive... anyway, that's the facts of where we live. I am coming down alone and would prefer some dive partners to be honest. Part of the experience for me is meeting new people. I replied to one of the threads on here but got no response. I consider myself a diver with some experience... I have around 200 dives under my belt, as well as AOW, Enriched Air Cert, and may work on a Self-reliant diver cert just to have the paperwork to present when / if needed. Anyway, I'm bringing my own gear, have a truck rental, and will be getting my tanks from where I'm staying at the Tropical Divers Resort not too far from the airport. I prefer the 50 to 60-foot range for depth, though will dive deeper if there is something to see that cant be seen at the 50 -60 foot range. We do some pretty deep dives up here to see wrecks (average 100 to 145 feet) but tend to avoid deep dives when we can. Just wondering if any vets of Bonaire would like a third wheel for a day or two. I arrive this Saturday ( Feb 19th, 2022) in the late afternoon and will be ready to dive Sunday the 20th.

On our two trips the tanks in the back of the truck have never been touched. I've never seen anyone mention a problem with tanks as a target of theft, more the extra things we bring along. We make sure whatever we leave in the unlocked truck is something we can live without (snacks, sunscreen, towels, etc..)

Are you there more than a week? We arrive Friday Feb. 25th, ready to dive Saturday. We have around 100 dives, and this is our third trip to Bonaire. We love it!

No need to worry about tanks being stolen. The thieves who steal items from trucks commonly make their getaways on foot or maybe motorbike. They look for small items they can sell. They probably won't take your lunch (even if it's in a cheap soft-sided cooler), water bottle, sunscreen, raggedy t-shirt or flip-flops, either. Anything more valuable than those things I would not leave in the truck.

Three years ago, I had my spare tire stolen from under my rental truck in Bonaire, during a night dive at Something Special. They didn't touch the empty scuba tanks on my truck though. Also, the condo building where I stayed during my most recent trip last year (Bellevue Apartments) had several adjoining apartments burglarized during the middle of the night while we were there -- pretty much every condo that left their balcony door unlocked got hit. (Our balcony door was locked.) The cat burglars took stuff that could be resold: iPhones, cameras, laptops, watches, wallets of course. But they took very little Scuba equipment. I think the likelihood of tanks getting stolen are close to zero. Each shop tends to have its own markings on tanks, and a stolen tank wouldn't be of much resale value to the locals.

I still love Bonaire and would be there today if I could. :)

This is another reason the Ultimate Dive Truck reigns supreme for my money in Bonaire.

Recently did eight days of diving but only 7 with the UDT and the one day that we were in a regular rental I was constantly paranoid about theft. As stated above tanks are not a concern but everything nicer than your used flip-flops are.

I really need to take the time to rewrite that trip report that deleted itself in draft, hmmm….. Bottom line is we don’t plan on doing another Bonaire trip without the UDT and theft is only one of the reasons why. I recommend doing yourself a favor and seeing if it is available for your timeframe and putting that worry to rest.

Tanks is not an issue.
I took a small container to take valuables underwater. It had my driver's license, apartment keys and a bit of money. Only thing left in the truck was a cheap water bottle, my slippers and T-shirt.

It's unfortunate that petty theft occurs. It speaks to the relative poverty that affects the natives.

On our two trips the tanks in the back of the truck have never been touched. I've never seen anyone mention a problem with tanks as a target of theft, more the extra things we bring along. We make sure whatever we leave in the unlocked truck is something we can live without (snacks, sunscreen, towels, etc..)

Are you there more than a week? We arrive Friday Feb. 25th, ready to dive Saturday. We have around 100 dives, and this is our third trip to Bonaire. We love it
I'll just miss you. I should've put my end date. I'm flying out on the 25th, so my last dive will be on the 24th. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Tanks, not an issue.

Keys? How to keep the FOB dry so your truck starts.

Excellent product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom