Question 1st Time to Bonaire / Theft from vehicles while shore diving / Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless going somewhere way off grid (Nuekove, candyland...) their is enough traffic to find one with cell.

Thought about an old cell and velcro in a secure place at beginning of trip and just use wifes. Never felt a reason to carry one except above.
Does anyone know if a cell without SIM works for emergency calls like in the states?

We do carry this Scuba Diving Air Tire Inflator for Standard BC BCD Inflator Hose Clean Gear Tool - Accessories -
to get us back to town. Used it once.

Love the idea of an old phone and some velcro. I would really like to have the phone for navigation, so I am bringing my old Motorola (Lenovo) phone that has a fractured screen. I will pity anyone that steals it.

I only rent cheep trucks, with ole'school keys, which dive with me in the wet....problem solved.
Even the cheap Chinese trucks have FOBs. Those old school trucks may get hard to find.

BTW if anyone is looking for DRYFOB, there are new larger sizes available now too. Some people with Jeeps and newer Subarus, Volvos, and Buicks had keys measuring 42-45 in width. The new V2s are 46mm. Just sayin.

We're actually off to Curacao and thinking we may be in for the same situation with parking for shore dives. Does anyone know if this was specifically Bonaire? I suppose safer to keep everything out of sight no matter where you go but I remember Bonaire they actually told us to roll the window down and leave the doors unlocked!

BTW if anyone is looking for DRYFOB, there are new larger sizes available now too. Some people with Jeeps and newer Subarus, Volvos, and Buicks had keys measuring 42-45 in width. The new V2s are 46mm. Just sayin.

We're actually off to Curacao and thinking we may be in for the same situation with parking for shore dives. Does anyone know if this was specifically Bonaire? I suppose safer to keep everything out of sight no matter where you go but I remember Bonaire they actually told us to roll the window down and leave the doors unlocked!
You will have the same issues in Curacao. Some sites have shops, etc on site which makes it a little better.

Got back from Bonaire last night. When I was in Bonaire in 2019, my Joto Universal Waterproof Pouch did fine all week. This trip, it flooded. I don't know why; maybe some sort of user error. Anyway, since it came as a set of 2, I switched to the other and it did fine the rest of the week. My VISA credit card with the microchip continued to work after its sea water bath.

Ah, but what about the truck key fob? Well, thankfully, before this trip, in the grip of fob flood danger paranoid, I ordered one of those DryFobs off Amazon. $50 Is expensive, and I had to provide my own lanyard, plus it didn't have space for much else...but it worked well, conveniently and was easy to use. And it's cheaper than that key/fob that didn't flood because I was using it.

I use a similar cell phone pouch with lanyard. The one I have has multiple layers to seal the opening. I put my Id, credit card, some cash, and the key fob in it. I put the lanyard around my neck and tuck the pouch under my skin.

I use a similar cell phone pouch with lanyard. The one I have has multiple layers to seal the opening. I put my Id, credit card, some cash, and the key fob in it. I put the lanyard around my neck and tuck the pouch under my skin.
Do you have a link for where to buy the pouch?

Do you have a link for where to buy the pouch?
I can't figure out where I purchased it from. It's a Kastking waterpoof cell pouch. It has 3 zip lock seals, the opening is then folded 3 layers thick, and then it's snapped closed. I wouldn't trust my cell phone in this at depth, but I used it on 19 dives last year in Bonaire and it didn't leak at all.

Here it is sold with a dry bag. I don't own that dry bag, so I'm still not sure where I got it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom