Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The camera thing is a bit of a problem, we haven't figured out the details on how we're going to do that ourselves. One thing is clear, only the underwater camera is going with us while diving.

That is the solution. The beauty of Bonaire is that it is so small. Even if you were to drive to the wild side and shore dive, you are still only 30 or 35 minutes from your hotel IIRC. Most of the more common sites re only 10 or 15 minutes. I usually go around the island on the last day and snap some topside pictures and do the donkey sanctuary.....all without the underwater camera this time.

Setting aside how likely or unlikey you are to get robbed, and setting aside the police, travel on Bonaire is just like any other spot for crime prevention. I would not go anywhere in the world and let valuables out of my sight. I do not lock a $2000 camera in my car at home. Nor would I leave my scuba gear in it for a prolonged period of time (i.e. getting gas, washroom break, getting coffee....that is about all I do). The same common sense rules apply to Boanire with a couple fresh ones on top.....like the leave your wondows down and doors unlocked.

That is the solution. The beauty of Bonaire is that it is so small. Even if you were to drive to the wild side and shore dive, you are still only 30 or 35 minutes from your hotel IIRC. Most of the more common sites re only 10 or 15 minutes. I usually go around the island on the last day and snap some topside pictures and do the donkey sanctuary.....all without the underwater camera this time.

Setting aside how likely or unlikey you are to get robbed, and setting aside the police, travel on Bonaire is just like any other spot for crime prevention. I would not go anywhere in the world and let valuables out of my sight. I do not lock a $2000 camera in my car at home. Nor would I leave my scuba gear in it for a prolonged period of time (i.e. getting gas, washroom break, getting coffee....that is about all I do). The same common sense rules apply to Boanire with a couple fresh ones on top.....like the leave your wondows down and doors unlocked.

The camera thing had actually very little to do with Bonaire. We usually take lots of pictures on our holidays and the underwater part has just recently been added. So I would be considering the camera's as a problem anywhere in the world where I would be shore diving.

Perhaps you have a good point in taking the camera on a trip around the island on the last day. We can still use the underwater one on dry land if there is something where we just have to have a picture from.

I know what you mean. I shoot SLR topside and P&S underwater so I will never have both on me at the same time. Too much risk.
Last time I was on Boanire was when Omar hit so I lost 2.5 days of diving to the storm but we spent a lot of time going around the island filming the destruction and taking pictures. I have only been there twice but next time, I am going to take pictures of the site rock and area so that I can put all underwater pictures together with the land based so it is known where I took each pic. Just something different for my next trip.

The camera thing had actually very little to do with Bonaire. We usually take lots of pictures on our holidays and the underwater part has just recently been added. So I would be considering the camera's as a problem anywhere in the world where I would be shore diving.

Perhaps you have a good point in taking the camera on a trip around the island on the last day. We can still use the underwater one on dry land if there is something where we just have to have a picture from.

I would not go anywhere in the world and let valuables out of my sight. I do not lock a $2000 camera in my car at home. .... The same common sense rules apply to Boanire with a couple fresh ones on top.....like the leave your wondows down and doors unlocked.

Well, that's unfortunate, cause I do leave a $6,000 camera in my truck at home and a $2000 laptop, (have since 2004) in my business I need it to take before and after pictures and it just sits underneath something out of sight and I park in million dollar neighborhoods, average and sketchy ones depending upon what project we are working on and have never had a problem.

So calling it using the same common sense rules, isn't really accurate. I don't leave my windows rolled down ever in the United States, in my home town or in any of the states I've travelled in to ensure they wouldn't be broken when I returned. I roll them up to prevent a theft.

It's unfortunate Bonaire requres these un-common sense rules to avoid theft in such a beautiful place. I hope the authorities lack of taking this seriously doesn't come back to bite them in the rear. But the thieves sound like they have it worked out pretty good there. They have everybody trained to leave the doors unlocked for them. Pretty nice Pavlov conditioning. Maui used to have the same problem about 15 years ago, the beach users would not lock their cars or roll up their windows because the locals would break them. Even if you had nothing valuable you risked a broken window if the car was locked.

Sounds like I'm leaving the Rolex at home and the wife will be leaving her diamond engagement/wedding ring at home too.

Looks like I'll be the married guy on vacation with the 'single' girl. :D

Last edited:
Well, that's unfortunate, cause I do leave a $6,000 camera in my truck at home and a $2000 laptop, (have since 2004) in my business I need it to take before and after pictures and it just sits underneath something out of sight and I park in million dollar neighborhoods, average and sketchy ones depending upon what project we are working on and have never had a problem.

So calling it using the same common sense rules, isn't really accurate. I don't leave my windows rolled down ever in the United States, in my home town or in any of the states I've travelled in to ensure they wouldn't be broken when I returned. I roll them up to prevent a theft.

It's unfortunate Bonaire requres these un-common sense rules to avoid theft in such a beautiful place. I hope the authorities lack of taking this seriously doesn't come back to bite them in the rear. But the thieves sound like they have it worked out pretty good there. They have everybody trained to leave the doors unlocked for them. Pretty nice Pavlov conditioning. Maui used to have the same problem about 15 years ago, the beach users would not lock their cars or roll up their windows because the locals would break them. Even if you had nothing valuable you risked a broken window if the car was locked.

Sounds like I'm leaving the Rolex at home and the wife will be leaving her diamond engagement/wedding ring at home too.

Looks like I'll be the married guy on vacation with the 'single' girl. :D

Well, Maui still has the same problem on the Road to Hana - or at least all of the broken glass I saw there told me they did.

I would also leave an expensive Rolex and the wife diamond ring at home- we do anytime we go on vacation that involves water - why risk losing while diving? and why risk it getting stolen (they disappear in US hotel rooms as well)

It is funny, in my home town, if you car is locked - it is figured you are "protecting something" nearly every car on main street in my hometown (where I grew up) is unlocked with the keys in the ignition - and in the 18 years I lived there - 1 stolen car and that was just for joy riding, it was returned,

Sounds like I'm leaving the Rolex at home

Well the point is... Bonaire NOT home. The rules are a bit different. Because you don't do it in the US doesn't mean it's applicable on Bonaire. In the US we drive on the right, on many islands they drive on the left. Different places, different rules. Really that simple. There are many other "differences" too numerous to list here.

Oh by the way, take your Rolex & wear it proudly on your wrist where it belongs. I have for the last 15 years & NEVER had a problem on Bonaire.:cool2:

I have been 3times with no problem at all!!! I will tell you what, if i catch someone breaking into the vechicle or taking anything of mine or someone elses, i will break there f*&*& arm, No questions asked!!!! We stay at the Den Laman all the time, and to get in there you need a key card . I think they should change all the resorts to this type of security system. I honsetly think that the cops are involved in it, or are at least getting a cut of it. that is jut MOI.

I would say that you and I are never going to see eye to eye on certain things because I will always believe that leaving things in your car is just asking for it to end up getting stolen anywhere. I believe in an ounce of prevention. Perhaps I have just decided not to complain and simply work with the cards that are dealt with respect to my piece of heaven (Bonaire). You see it differently and that is OK....each is our choice. My fiance is more like you than me with regards to leaving stuff in vehicles.

You could always choose to vacation elsewhere. Just a thought. If the "un-common sense" rules as you call them are too much, then people have the right to choose with your wallet and leave the island to those that do not have an issue with it. I believe that those that require an outlet to complain about the uncommon sense rules on Bonaire (here or anywhere else), might be better served by vacationing in a place that they feel is safer. They would enjoy themselves more because they would not worry as much (rightly or wrongly).

Not every place is made for every person. That is the beauty of having so many palces to travel to.

Well, that's unfortunate, cause I do leave a $6,000 camera in my truck at home and a $2000 laptop,

Oh and by the way.....where exactly do you park your car? I only want to monitor it for safety :wink:. Just kidding.

Steve, I know better than to leave stuff in the truck, it is an open invitation to the vandals. I am still going to enjoy myself, but if it happens and i catch the person or persons, i have no pitty on them! Bottom line end of story. MY motto is if you want something ask for it, if you can not afford to buy it, leave it alone until u can..

Back
Top Bottom