Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think most places (including Bonaire) it would be safe with stuff in the vehicle. Again, I believe in an ounce of prevention but that is just me (and some others of course).

Addicted, Steve. Addicted.

:acid:

I will tell you what, if i catch someone breaking into the vechicle or taking anything of mine or someone elses, i will break there f*&*& arm, No questions asked!!!!

I think they should change all the resorts to this type of security system. I honsetly think that the cops are involved in it, or are at least getting a cut of it. that is jut MOI.

I'm with you on both of those points!

I would say that you and I are never going to see eye to eye on certain things because I will always believe that leaving things in your car is just asking for it to end up getting stolen anywhere. I believe in an ounce of prevention. Perhaps I have just decided not to complain and simply work with the cards that are dealt with respect to my piece of heaven (Bonaire). You see it differently and that is OK....each is our choice. My fiance is more like you than me with regards to leaving stuff in vehicles.

You could always choose to vacation elsewhere. Just a thought. If the "un-common sense" rules as you call them are too much, then people have the right to choose with your wallet and leave the island to those that do not have an issue with it. I believe that those that require an outlet to complain about the uncommon sense rules on Bonaire (here or anywhere else), might be better served by vacationing in a place that they feel is safer. They would enjoy themselves more because they would not worry as much (rightly or wrongly).

Not every place is made for every person. That is the beauty of having so many palces to travel to.

We agree more than you think. The only difference is how we are labeling it. Leaving cars unlocked and windows down is the not the general method of avoiding theft in low crime areas. If it was common, the rental car companies wouldn't have to make it a point to educate people about it, nor would it have to be mentioned in guide books or on scuba board.

But it is the common method for high crime areas such as remote beaches. Like I said it used to be the common method that the guide books would warm tourists in Maui about the beaches in certain areas.

I try to be a savvy traveler and do what I can to avoid a problem. I just disagree that bonaire's beaches are not a high crime area, requiring uncommon sense solutions and solutions that are not typical to the vast majority of other places and situations.

Nobody is fooling anybody by trying to make an argument that the typical method of anti-theft in the world is to not use the locks on a car. Come on now, we are all adults, lets stop the rationalization and call the beaches of bonaire what they are, a high risk of theft, a high crime area.

Because they are you have to adjust your normal methodology to protect your valuables, which basically means don't have any that you can't take underwater with you, cause you can't leave them in the car since locking it will result in a thief breaking the window and stealing them and not locking the car will result in a thief stealing them.

Oh and by the way.....where exactly do you park your car? I only want to monitor it for safety :wink:. Just kidding.

:D:D:D:D Funny stuff!!!

On his first trip to Bonaire with me (my 2nd) my buddy had his luggage (just clothes not dive gear, so really does it matter???) arrive late. After complaining to the airline on his cell phone he put it down and forgot to pick it up when he walked away. The he bumped into a sea urchin and got spines stuck in his hand (still there a couple years later). There was a major problem at his work (made the news) and his boss wanted him home. His girl friend wasn't talking to him because he went on this trip. But it wasn't until his dry bag got stolen out of our truck that he lost his cool. Luckily, we found it down the road minus some cash and his dive tools. Later when we dove with Larry's Wildside our dives were delayed because of a lightening storm. We all relaxed under this awning until the storm passed. We made him stand away from us figuring if anyone got hit by lightening it would be him. :D

:rofl3: Well, that settles it! Bonaire is jinxed! :rofl3:

OMG....that is terrible. What kind of cell was it? :D

On his first trip to Bonaire with me (my 2nd) my buddy had his luggage (just clothes not dive gear, so really does it matter???) arrive late. After complaining to the airline on his cell phone he put it down and forgot to pick it up when he walked away. The he bumped into a sea urchin and got spines stuck in his hand (still there a couple years later). There was a major problem at his work (made the news) and his boss wanted him home. His girl friend wasn't talking to him because he went on this trip. But it wasn't until his dry bag got stolen out of our truck that he lost his cool. Luckily, we found it down the road minus some cash and his dive tools. Later when we dove with Larry's Wildside our dives were delayed because of a lightening storm. We all relaxed under this awning until the storm passed. We made him stand away from us figuring if anyone got hit by lightening it would be him. :D

And mfinley, I agree that perhaps the term "common sense rules" is not the best choice. I think what is more appropriate is "travel rules that apply to Bonaire". Almost every place we can travel has it's own unique things that should be done to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip. Some are "stay inside the compound", some are "don't get stung by the bugs".....

Well I got through the first 16 pages of this thread and skipped to the last two so I might be missing something important in here but somehow I doubt it.

We had 6 three week trips to Bonaire now and got our apartment broken into on the last trip. We lost quite a lot of gear including a laptop, SLR body, dive watches & cellphones. They left my SLR housing, some nice lenses, two Ikelite strobes and our scuba kit (with computers)

As far as shore diving goes we leave nothing but $10, towels, clothes, bag and water in the unlocked truck and have never had a problem.

Will we go again? - Sure, this can happen anywhere in the world, particularly where relatively affluent tourists go in large numbers. Anyway, the place is just so special as to be worth it.

Well, that's unfortunate, cause I do leave a $6,000 camera in my truck at home and a $2000 laptop, (have since 2004) in my business I need it to take before and after pictures and it just sits underneath something out of sight and I park in million dollar neighborhoods, average and sketchy ones depending upon what project we are working on and have never had a problem.

So calling it using the same common sense rules, isn't really accurate. I don't leave my windows rolled down ever in the United States, in my home town or in any of the states I've travelled in to ensure they wouldn't be broken when I returned. I roll them up to prevent a theft.

It's unfortunate Bonaire requres these un-common sense rules to avoid theft in such a beautiful place. I hope the authorities lack of taking this seriously doesn't come back to bite them in the rear. But the thieves sound like they have it worked out pretty good there. They have everybody trained to leave the doors unlocked for them. Pretty nice Pavlov conditioning. Maui used to have the same problem about 15 years ago, the beach users would not lock their cars or roll up their windows because the locals would break them. Even if you had nothing valuable you risked a broken window if the car was locked.

Sounds like I'm leaving the Rolex at home and the wife will be leaving her diamond engagement/wedding ring at home too.

Looks like I'll be the married guy on vacation with the 'single' girl. :D

That is still the case in parts of Ohau and several dozen other places I have been to...included lots of places in the US

yeah, just try to shore dive anywhere in South Florida! People break into cars in broad daylight with people around! Most of the time things are left in plane sight inside, no different than Bonaire.
So if you are going to a shore diving spot ANYWHERE in the world, don't leave anything inside the car unless you are willing to lose it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom