Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all... although I just signed up for an account today, I've been reading on this board for a few months now. Mostly started with learning about underwater photography equipment.

To that end, I do have some questions about Bonaire and the resort my friends and I will be staying at, Buddy Dive. I want to bring my camera equipment, but after reading through this thread I'm not so sure about that anymore. I understand there is a common crime issue at the remote dive spots - I'm going in with the mentality of 100% chance of someone going through our rental truck.

However, what's not clear from this thread is how safe are the rooms at Buddy Dive. Would you bring camera equipment (above water) and store it in the room while you're out diving? Trying to get a vibe of the security at the resort.

Thanks.

Having done over 25 trips to Bonaire, many of them at Buddy (3 rooms last in July), I don't worry about my stuff in the rooms. Can it happen,sure any place can get broken in to but your odds are very good.

Yeah, totally understand... I don't worry about "stuff"... but I would consider this valuable, being photography equipment. For instance, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable if I were staying at a well-known, established resort (e.g. Starwood properties) - which I have in St. John. So I'm asking if people would feel uncomfortable leaving expensive camera equipment at BD as to get a feel for the calibre of security/safety at Buddy Dive...

Thanks in advance for your input.

I was on Bonaire with Herman this year, and have visited the island many times both with Herman's groups, and on my own, as well as parts of two other SB groups. Other than a pair of sunglasses swiped from a truck at a dive site, we have not experienced any crime. Yet.

Crime is a part of life on this earth, anywhere there are people. Bonaire is no exception to that. There is crime there, as elsewhere, but most of it is petty like the truck break ins, but there are also occasionally the same sort of break ins you might experience here in any US city or town.

If you stay alert, don't make valuables obvious or easy to grab, you should have no more chance of experiencing a burglary than at home.

Always, no matter where you go on this planet, you need to be constantly aware of your situation, and any other person who your instincts tell you to be aware of.

Listen to your instincts, because anytime you are uncomfortable about a stranger, a group of strangers, their interest in you, or a situation you feel uncomfortable about, your instincts (which are our built in natural defense system trying to tell us something) may be trying tell you something, and it pays to listen to that warning.

Ok sounds good, i'm fine with my instincts - i have traveled many places where most would probably not feel comfortable and have had minor issues (e.g. flip flops stolen while surfing in costa rica)...

So basically, what I hear is that there's no reason to believe that BD is a high threat/targeted area and security/privacy is pretty decent?

I have been to Bonaire twice with no problem. However I have been to Aruba 28 times and this is the key. The only time I was ever broken into in Aruba is when I left snorkel gear for 3 people in my jeep. I was so stupid I never gave it a thought. After I returned 1 hour later, someone threw a rock threw the window and took everything. I even had a underwater camera and my wallet with $500. Now I leave nothing and I have never had a problem. So just remember, we can bring it on ourselves if we want to. If you leave nothing valuable behind, you won't have to worry. I really feel safe in the rooms but just be carefull. Aruba Bob

No one who has been there will tell you honestly that there are no issue on Bonaire, but also none that you will not face elsewhere.

Buddy Dive has security, but it is not perfect. Be alert the same as you would anywhere else, and enjoy the diving.
Hard to find better diving anywhere.

---------- Post Merged at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:27 PM ----------

You can find petty, and violent crime anywhere on the face of this earth, but there are few places the diving is as good. Some places maybe even better, but not many come 1/2 way close.

FWIW: When we were there in July/August we didn't see any signs of theft or similar. We used the room safe to place anything valuable in (that would fit). At points we left our gear outside for hours to dry off, and we had a 1st floor unit. We only stopped doing this because mosquitos would accumulate near anything that was wet. These mosquitos were insane compared to what we have back here in the States. They flew like flies (quick, hard to kill) and bit with precision. It was annoying when they would get into the apartment.

Nothing stolen from our truck at any of the dive sites, sunglasses included. Left the windows down except at Windsock where it was raining. No broken windows, no issues.

My g/f and our truck at Windsock:
i-JShNxhC-L.jpg

I have been to Bonaire twice with no problem. However I have been to Aruba 28 times and this is the key. The only time I was ever broken into in Aruba is when I left snorkel gear for 3 people in my jeep. I was so stupid I never gave it a thought. After I returned 1 hour later, someone threw a rock threw the window and took everything. I even had a underwater camera and my wallet with $500. Now I leave nothing and I have never had a problem. So just remember, we can bring it on ourselves if we want to. If you leave nothing valuable behind, you won't have to worry. I really feel safe in the rooms but just be carefull. Aruba Bob

Sorry to hear about your loss, that's really messed up.

No one who has been there will tell you honestly that there are no issue on Bonaire, but also none that you will not face elsewhere.

Buddy Dive has security, but it is not perfect. Be alert the same as you would anywhere else, and enjoy the diving.
Hard to find better diving anywhere.

---------- Post Merged at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:27 PM ----------

You can find petty, and violent crime anywhere on the face of this earth, but there are few places the diving is as good. Some places maybe even better, but not many come 1/2 way close.

Yep, I understand crime can happen anywhere... in fact, two of my motorcycles (chained down/locked up) and my car have been broken into right outside my condo. My neighborhood is super safe, but unfortunately, it's extremely accessible, unsecured, and there are tons of nice cars here. The thing I worry about at resorts is leaving my photo gear in the room when we're out... I think it's less likely for theft to occur at a nice resort, because they have a reputation to maintain and go through extra efforts to provide guests with security... so I was just trying to understand where BD fit into that range from "free-for-all" to "fort knox"...

FWIW: When we were there in July/August we didn't see any signs of theft or similar. We used the room safe to place anything valuable in (that would fit). At points we left our gear outside for hours to dry off, and we had a 1st floor unit. We only stopped doing this because mosquitos would accumulate near anything that was wet. These mosquitos were insane compared to what we have back here in the States. They flew like flies (quick, hard to kill) and bit with precision. It was annoying when they would get into the apartment.

Nothing stolen from our truck at any of the dive sites, sunglasses included. Left the windows down except at Windsock where it was raining. No broken windows, no issues.

My g/f and our truck at Windsock:

Sounds awesome, glad you had a great time and thanks for your input! Will makes ure to get some mosquito repellent...

Let me rephrase my post and Jim can confirm it.... our room- kitchen table mainly- looked like a computer and underwater photo shop all week with all our gear setting in the open and that is the way I have always done it. Could we have been robbed, sure but odds are against it. My wallet and passports were in the safe but nothing else. The prior week I was at Sand Dollar and all my gear was always on the kitchen counter. Don't leave anything in your truck and you will not likely have any issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom