Is purchasing an analyzer really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orch1ds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello...

My question is really for when I travel to foreign countries in the Caribbean and Asia. If I'm using EANx and getting my fills from a dive shop in a foreign country, should having my own analyzer be a must or can I trust the dive shop's analyzers?

I know its one of those depends on the shop question... but I guess I'm just wondering if its a good idea to invest in one. I plan to travel maybe once or twice outside of the country for diving. Majority of my dives will be here so I know I can trust my local dive shop. I just hate to throw another $400+ or so for an equipment I probably won't use more than a couple of times a year.

Thanks!
cmk

Any place I have ever dived in the Caribbean has had a Nitrox analyzer available (if they supplied Nitrox at all). I would say, "No, don't buy one." Just borrow the boat's analyzer.

Well, any good nitrox diver SHOULD have one. Keyword being should, its not a requirement... But for me, I always analyze my mix before I get in the water and mark the tanks...I'd recommend the same for you, plus I know my analyzer and take very good care of it so I know I can rely on it.

-Tony

when we've travelled and there has been nitrox the dive shop has always provided an analysier

we own our own analyiser but dont travel with it - but since the maldives incident i would take it if the dive op tells me via email they dont have one for divers to check with

cheers

If I'm breathing gas it's checked with my analyzer.

It's not that tough to bring, and it's peace of mind.

All the best, James

Honestly only you can answer this question as you have likely already figured out.

I will say that the majority of nitrox divers use the local ops, shops, dive boat etc... I could make a very strong case for owning your own, but I also use the one on hand and have never had a problem. That said, I dive very conservatively and rarely get close to the MOD for my mix.

In the end, anything can happen, so this is a personal judgment call. Happy diving!

If I trust the dive operator enough to dive with him in the first place, I'm willing to trust his gas analyzer. That's not to say that I'd automatically trust him to do the analysis, but every dive op that's ever provided me with Nitrox has lent me an analyzer, and I've never had a problem.

There is a benefit to owning your own, but the oxygen sensors in analyzers have a shelf-life, and are costly to replace , so if you don't dive Nitrox regularly, owning one isn't cost effective.

I carry and use my own Nitrox analyzer unless their's is same brand, and - my own Carbon Monoxide tester, since many of the fill stations don't bother. My CO tester was much cheaper than the other.

An approach that could be used where nitrox cylinders are filled in batches and the divemasters dive the same mix: - Just ask the DM what the blend is, and stay shallower than the MOD. (I don’t dive with DMs I don’t trust.)

I carry a small cheat sheet with the MODs for various mixes. For conservatism, I leave my computer on air.

Not idealized, but I do not consider it high risk either.

Disclaimer: implied.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom