Question Enriched air analyzer needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My original el cheapo sensor is going on 5 years old and still working.

Lots of responses. I don't own an analyzer. I'll just add that I dive nitrox infrequently, but I'll dive the percentage that the operator or shop recommends for a particular dive. Usually, they won't let you use the tank until you've at least seen it analyzed and signed off. On rare occasion, I'll have to remind someone that I'd like to see it analyzed before I take the tank, and no one has ever had an issue either analyzing it in front of me or handing me the shop\boat analyzer.

All great comments. Speaking personally, I own one that I rarely have to use. I dive nitrox almost exclusively but the shop I get the majority of my nitrox from has a nice testing station. Everything is pre-plumbed to easily connect the analyzer to an air tank for calibration and then connect it to your tank for analysis. I use this station almost exclusively. When I get nitrox elsewhere, I will use my own analyzer.

The most important point, as many others have said, is to make sure you analyze every tank every time. Don't blindly trust the label. Many use an analyzer from the shop or the boat, but make sure either you do it or you personally watch one of the staff or crew do it.

Lots of responses. I don't own an analyzer. I'll just add that I dive nitrox infrequently, but I'll dive the percentage that the operator or shop recommends for a particular dive. Usually, they won't let you use the tank until you've at least seen it analyzed and signed off. On rare occasion, I'll have to remind someone that I'd like to see it analyzed before I take the tank, and no one has ever had an issue either analyzing it in front of me or handing me the shop\boat analyzer.

This and to the OP's question, the problem you run in to for the "trust me" tanks are that most shops fill both air and nitrox (and some trimix) and unless you analyze that tank you are just trusting the dive shop monkey that filled it, filled it correctly. I've seen tanks with "air" labels have nitrox, and nitrox tanks with air. I've also seen crazy fills way over or under the claimed mix on the side.

If they are not my own tanks (which I analyze before I use them even if I have already stickered them) I analyze them when my regulator is on the tank, that way I know that my rental tank that i checked at the shop didnt get switch on the way to the boat.

But it you are diving in 20' of water there's a 99% chance that whatever is in your tank is safe for that dive......Feel lucky?

Since we're talking about Nitrox, I just bought some HP100's and HP120's. Shop is oxy cleaning them and banding them for Nitrox, but I will not be filling with Nitrox all the time. They said I could go either way as long as they are labeled for Nitrox. I won't be using Nitrox until I start doing some deeper wreck dives this summer. Deepest probably around 120'.

A portable analyzer seems like cheap insurance.

But it you are diving in 20' of water there's a 99% chance that whatever is in your tank is safe for that dive......Feel lucky?

Speaking of 99%. Didn't some kids recently die in a pool breathing "air" from tanks that were really 99% He?

I analyze all my gas before the dive.

Back
Top Bottom