Question Enriched air analyzer needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mercracing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I guys. I'm new to diving, and am going through my Nitrox reading right now. In the book it is saying I should have my own analyzer to verify the content of the tanks. A couple locals I have spoken with have said they just trust the tag on the tank. So my question is, is my own personal analyzer necessary? If so, what are some good ones?

Thanks

I guys. I'm new to diving, and am going through my Nitrox reading right now. In the book it is saying I should have my own analyzer to verify the content of the tanks. A couple locals I have spoken with have said they just trust the tag on the tank. So my question is, is my own personal analyzer necessary? If so, what are some good ones?

Thanks

For the casual diver I’d say no…but I’d never trust the label…always get it analyzed by the shop and make sure they calibrate it first.

Any tank should be verified by the user. How that is done is one's choice. Around here, when you pick up tanks from the LDS that aren't "air", you analyze it at the shop, verifying the filler's reading, and complete filling out the log. The tank is labeled, and you are good to go.

If that isn't able to be done, then an analyzer is needed....

I'd never just dive a tank provided to me (unless just air) without being able to verify it....

For the casual diver I’d say no…but I’d never trust the label…always get it analyzed by the shop and make sure they calibrate it first.
Assume the label is wrong...because it might be.
Preferably, use the shop analyzer and calibrate it yourself.
Second choice: observe them calibrate and then analyze for you.
If they refuse to let you use their analyzer or to calibrate and analyze in your presence, press your point and say that is how you were trained and that is a best practice and otherwise you can't accept their Nitrox tank.

Added:
The OP said: "A couple locals I have spoken with have said they just trust the tag on the tank."

This is scary and sloppy. Ask them if that is how they were trained; if they say Yes, avoid that trainer/shop they got their cert from. If they say No, ask them why they are ignoring a primary safety rule about verifying the gas in your tank? There are multiple threads on SB about divers who got hurt or died from having the wrong gas in their tank. If you think it is Nitrox and it is actually air, you are risking DCS. If you think it is air and it is actually Nitrox, you are risking death.

Assume the label is wrong...because it might be.
Preferably, use the shop analyzer and calibrate it yourself.
Second choice: observe them calibrate and then analyze for you.
If they refuse to let you use their analyzer or to calibrate and analyze in your presence, press your point and say that is how you were trained and that is a best practice and otherwise you can't accept their Nitrox tank.

Exactly

It depends on how far down the rabbit hole you think this hobby may go. Every tank should be analyzed by you before diving it. If you are renting tanks at a shop, you can use their analyzer, label it and go.
If you own tanks and you are only getting them filled at one shop, you can use their analyzer, label it and go.
When you start having multiple tanks and using multiple places for fills, it is definitely time to buy your own analyzer.

Thanks
One place I get fills, they won’t let you leave until you’ve analyzed tank right there. Another shop who knows me and that I have my own analyzer, lets me go without analyzing in the shop. But the shop doesn’t slap a label on them, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom