Question Enriched air analyzer needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only time I would consider not analyzing a tank is if I watched my tank get filled at a facility that only does air fills. Any other circumstance, and there are other glasses on site that could be in that tank.

I guys. I'm new to diving, and am going through my Nitrox reading right now. In the book it is saying I should have my own analyzer to verify the content of the tanks. A couple locals I have spoken with have said they just trust the tag on the tank. So my question is, is my own personal analyzer necessary? If so, what are some good ones?

Thanks
Repeating the consensus -- you should verify mixture in the tank yourself, whether by directly observing the reading at the shop, using an analyzer on the boat (often provided/shared by the DM or captain), or using your own.

Another consideration -- and a reason to have your own equipment -- is whether you want to analyze for the presence of carbon monoxide (CO) in addition to verifying the O2 percentage.

Here's my solution: Semi-DIY O2 and CO analyzer

THAT is something I have very often wondered why you don't see more of! at least back 20 years ago I never saw it.

We bought one but honestly just use the shops or boats analyzer now. The sensors in the analyzers also have to be replaced every (2?) years I think so even after spending the $ on the analyzer you’ll have to consider that. Looking back it would have been money better spent elsewhere for us.

I'd never trust anyone else's analyzer without me using my own analyzer to verify.

I'd most definitely test not just nitrox tanks but also air tanks if they were filled in a place that does nitrox (or O2) fills. The can make a mistake with air just like they would with nitrox or O2.

It is my life and my safety, I won't chance compromising either by Trusting somebody else without my verification with my own analyzer.

Never trust a label you haven't tested and written or verified.

Whether to get your own, shrug. All places I've gotten nitrox from have one, I like mine better but I haven't had to have it.

If your shop has one you can use then you don't need one, but if you want you can get one

but as I said before...do you know how to use theirs?...or do you trust that they are "showing you" how to use it correctly? (granted...if it's within a point or two maybe close enough)

I guys. I'm new to diving, and am going through my Nitrox reading right now. In the book it is saying I should have my own analyzer to verify the content of the tanks. A couple locals I have spoken with have said they just trust the tag on the tank. So my question is, is my own personal analyzer necessary? If so, what are some good ones?

Thanks
Realistically, I would say if you are newer to diving and diving recreationally, you should be fine without a personal analyzer. I've never been diving with Nitrox where there wasn't one on the boat. That being said, if you're relying on the shop you should always CHECK to make sure they have one (and make sure it's available on board BEFORE you leave shore!)...and I'd think twice about any shop that would let you go diving with Nitrox and DOESN'T have an analyzer for you to use! :oops:

Of course, depending on your situation for peace of mind + added safety, if you can afford it and think you'll be getting good use out of it, it's a great tool to have. Keep in mind they're around ~$200 and the typical lifespan is ~2 yrs (depending on how often you use and how you store it). I've seen the "Palm O2 Oxygen Nitrox Anaylzer" and the "Analox O2EII Pro Analyzer" used before (I'm basing off the looks, I don't know for sure if this is the exact brand). If you have buddies you dive with consistently, consider the group pitching in to get one that you share amongst yourselves.

That's my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom