Question Where to Find a Trusted Bank/Bank ATM in Jakarta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After reading through a few threads on the topic of obtaining IDR, I need to ask you all for some first-timer-to-Asia tips. I'm traveling from Oregon to Jakarta next month for a pre-dive stay to get over the jetlag before going on to Sorong for 10 days at Sorido Bay Resort followed by 11 days liveaboard on the Damai II as part of a Bluewater group dive trip. For one less detail to deal with upon arrival to a foreign country, I usually buy my foreign currency at home (U.S.) and bring it with me, but the IDR is not a currency Wells Fargo (my home bank) sells. I have the Charles Schwab debit card, which has been quite handy in Europe and Mexico. Has anyone had trouble using that card in Jakarta at an ATM? Though not my first choice, I plan to bring plenty of USD in case I need to do hand-to-hand money exchange.

I've read the Jakarta airport is a decent place to get money, and I would prefer not to have to wander the streets of Jakarta looking for a money changer.
It looks like there's Bank Mandiri and Bank Central Asia ATMs in the airport. Are these national trusted banks in Indonesia? I'm staying at the FM7 Hotel, but Google Maps doesn't show any nearby banks.

If you've been to Jakarta recently, any tips or advice would be helpful.

After reading through a few threads on the topic of obtaining IDR, I need to ask you all for some first-timer-to-Asia tips. I'm traveling from Oregon to Jakarta next month for a pre-dive stay to get over the jetlag before going on to Sorong for 10 days at Sorido Bay Resort followed by 11 days liveaboard on the Damai II as part of a Bluewater group dive trip. For one less detail to deal with upon arrival to a foreign country, I usually buy my foreign currency at home (U.S.) and bring it with me, but the IDR is not a currency Wells Fargo (my home bank) sells. I have the Charles Schwab debit card, which has been quite handy in Europe and Mexico. Has anyone had trouble using that card in Jakarta at an ATM? Though not my first choice, I plan to bring plenty of USD in case I need to do hand-to-hand money exchange.

I've read the Jakarta airport is a decent place to get money, and I would prefer not to have to wander the streets of Jakarta looking for a money changer.
It looks like there's Bank Mandiri and Bank Central Asia ATMs in the airport. Are these national trusted banks in Indonesia? I'm staying at the FM7 Hotel, but Google Maps doesn't show any nearby banks.

If you've been to Jakarta recently, any tips or advice would be helpful.

Sound like you have an amazing trip planned!!

Yes the airport will have several ATM's and money changers so it should be very easy for you to get cash. Money changers at the airport are reliable and honest same with the ATM's. Only time you will run into issues is Money changers in Kuta, Bali (but sounds like thats not on your travel list) that have a little wooden booth on the side of the road. They are amazing at hand trickery and not actually giving you the correct amount.

For ATM's outside the airport stick with the bigger name ones. Bigger names banks are BNI, BCA, BRI, CIMB, OCBC, Danamon, Permata, Maybank. The only one that I have found that Charles Schwab card does not work in is Mandiri.
I have never had issues with ATM's and my Schwab card either. Also when you get to Sorong there are ATM in the city as well so don't stress to much about loading up with cash in Jakarta.

To answer your question yes banks in Indonesian are trusted, I even have accounts with 2 of them never had any issues.

For tips, download the app Grab or Gojek these are Indonesia's version on Uber. Very easy to get around with and no hassle, you can also get food delivery's, and other services. I once had a Gojek guy bring me a 20kg Sofnolime scrubber tub. lol. Another tip is get a local SIM card if your going to Raja I have found Telkomsel to be the best. You can get a sim card in the Jakarta airport they are sooooo much cheaper than an US international roaming plan.

Its been a while since i have been in JKT but when i was there it was not safe to walk the streets. Very unsafe, take a car everywhere.
And i had a big fraud case from using my debit card in a randon ATM.

However i had no problem with using my credit card in restaurants, bars, and shopping malls in JKT. Outside the city its the opposite.

My suggestion is take enough cash to buy 5 million rupiah at the airport. If you find you need more go to Western Union they have a network supporting the overseas maids.

Its been a while since i have been in JKT but when i was there it was not safe to walk the streets. Very unsafe, take a car everywhere.
And i had a big fraud case from using my debit card in a randon ATM.

However i had no problem with using my credit card in restaurants, bars, and shopping malls in JKT. Outside the city its the opposite.

My suggestion is take enough cash to buy 5 million rupiah at the airport. If you find you need more go to Western Union they have a network supporting the overseas maids.
Not safe in Jakarta? Compared to which other city? Maybe if you visit clubs at night and get drunk. But otherwise Jakarta is much safer than for example Paris or Amsterdam.

I have no idea where you were, but after living 14 years in Jakarta, it just isn't accurate. If you mean unsafe as there are often tight roads with no/broken sidewalks, then sure, this is true. Implying that one is in physical danger just isn't accurate. One is in far more danger walking the streets in my hometown of Indianapolis or Fort Myers as random violent crime, muggings, and some redneck kicking your teeth in isn't part of the Jakarta picture. It's an amazing city, and I love my adopted home. Like many Asian mega-cities, it has serious issues, but if you get out, you might be very surprised.

If you are staying a few days at the FM7, take a taxi over to PIK (very close) and much good food and drink.

Not safe in Jakarta? Compared to which other city? Maybe if you visit clubs at night and get drunk. But otherwise Jakarta is much safer than for example Paris or Amsterdam.
I have no idea where you were, but after living 14 years in Jakarta, it just isn't accurate. If you mean unsafe as there are often tight roads with no/broken sidewalks, then sure, this is true. Implying that one is in physical danger just isn't accurate. One is in far more danger walking the streets in my hometown of Indianapolis or Fort Myers as random violent crime, muggings, and some redneck kicking your teeth in isn't part of the Jakarta picture. It's an amazing city, and I love my adopted home. Like many Asian mega-cities, it has serious issues, but if you get out, you might be very surprised.

If you are staying a few days at the FM7, take a taxi over to PIK (very close) and much good food and drink.

Agree. Jakarta is a safe city and people are always friendly and helpful. Really all of Indonesia as a general. Jakarta and Indonesia as a whole would not be on my list of cities/countries that classify as unsafe or where you need to be more cautious. Yeah its not Singapore but if you just use common sense you will find that Jakarta is way safer than any major metropolitan city in the US. Also for scams, yeah it happens but its not common at all and its usually huge tourist trap places like Kuta, Bali where tourist are getting scammed. Once again pretty much guaranteed more scams in the US than in Indonesia. As @Indah has pointed out the only time you would ever run into issue in Jakarta is when you get involved with the Jakarta younger crowd nightlife there but even then its still a very very very rare oddity to have issues.

In case you plan to exchange cash, keep in mind that your dollar notes should be in mint condition and of the latest "version" (not sure what is the correct term in English). Older "versions" and/or used notes (folded, wrinkled etc) most probably won't be accepted by the vendors.
Interestingly the same people, accepted my used euros with no problem.
I really don't know why this happens. The official excuse I've been given is that older and not perfect US dollar notes are not accepted by local banks.

In case you plan to exchange cash, keep in mind that your dollar notes should be in mint condition and of the latest "version" (not sure what is the correct term in English). Older "versions" and/or used notes (folded, wrinkled etc) most probably won't be accepted by the vendors.
Interestingly the same people, accepted my used euros with no problem.
I really don't know why this happens. The official excuse I've been given is that older and not perfect US dollar notes are not accepted by local banks.
Our bank used to accept Euro in less than mint condition, however, not anymore.

Our bank used to accept Euro in less than mint condition, however, not anymore.
Crap. Although cash is getting obsolete nowadays, having alternatives is always good.
Getting cash in mint condition is not always easy.

I remember 10-15years ago, there was a slightly worst exchange rate for "not perfect" USD notes. The difference was practically very small (500 or so less rupiahs per dollar) so why not. But I find rejecting a 100USD note because it has been folded ridiculous.

Keep in mind that the ATMs at the Jakarta airport do not give the same amount of money that you are used to in other parts of the world. Be prepared to be limited to getting the equivalent of $100 or $200 (maybe $250) in IDR per transaction. Same experience for me at smaller Indonesian airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom