New thread on changing money in Indonesia: let's keep it respectful and on topic, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ojo

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am heading to R4 in October. Passing through Singapore and Jakarta. First trip anywhere in Indonesia besides Bali seven years ago. We will be staying mostly at homestays, and mostly on far-flung islands, then at a rustic "resort" on a tiny island, i.e. not ATM's beyond Sorong and probably Waisai. So we will need to have those piles of cash. I appreciate the post in old thread re: carrying a portable safe et al. and am planning on that. I have read that the Jakarta airport ATM rate is bad. Is it better, or worse, than changing money from Wells Fargo in the U.S. - anyone know? I'm not interested in trekking into Jakarta during my layover. I am wondering whether the Singapore airport currency exchange is worth considering. I have a Schwab debit card and of course will have that along, but I've had enough experience to know not to depend on that. Of course I'll have USD as well. How do I set things up so I get the best exchange rate and have all the IDR I need? My questions are particularly directed to those of you with experience in the last couple years, especially going to far-flung areas where there really is no ATM. Thank you in advance.

I was in Jakarta, Bali & Sorong last Sept. I researched all my exchange options, and airport or money exchanges in North America were always the worst rates.

100% of the time, the best rates were on the street, at small vendors. They all post big signs advertising, with rates clearly shown.

You just have to watch them carefully because they often employed their own "special math" when calculating rates. Just keep an eye on them and if you disagree, call them on it and they will back down.

I was in Jakarta, Bali & Sorong last Sept. I researched all my exchange options, and airport or money exchanges in North America were always the worst rates.

100% of the time, the best rates were on the street, at small vendors. They all post big signs advertising, with rates clearly shown.

You just have to watch them carefully because they often employed their own "special math" when calculating rates. Just keep an eye on them and if you disagree, call them on it and they will back down.
Thanks, Diver Rick. Sorong will be my only option for exchange then. Any specifics about specific vendors or streets to visit for this purpose would be most welcome.

I wonder what the % difference is compared to Travelex or the like at an airport? Maybe get at least some there?
Make sure the USD you intend to exchange are in perfect condition, is my experience. No tiny tears, marks, red or blue dye edges etc.

Reactions: ojo
Jakarta airport has decent moneychangers unlike Bali airport, I especially remember one bank located downstairs at the AirAsia/lowcost terminal I used to change money at.

If you go downtown, locate OFFICIAL money changers which will advertize change on LED panels... do not change at small vendors proposing too favorable change rates written on a small board unless you have time to focus and count back every bunch of notes they give you back.

Remember the rule of thumb, the further you are from Jakarta or tourist hubs like Bali or Manado, the less favorable exchange rate you will get.

Thanks, Diver Rick. Sorong will be my only option for exchange then. Any specifics about specific vendors or streets to visit for this purpose would be most welcome.
I never actually did any exchanges in Sorong, but they are all over the place with rates clearly posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom