Question Where to Find a Trusted Bank/Bank ATM in Jakarta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After reading through a few threads on the topic of obtaining IDR, I need to ask you all for some first-timer-to-Asia tips. I'm traveling from Oregon to Jakarta next month for a pre-dive stay to get over the jetlag before going on to Sorong for 10 days at Sorido Bay Resort followed by 11 days liveaboard on the Damai II as part of a Bluewater group dive trip. For one less detail to deal with upon arrival to a foreign country, I usually buy my foreign currency at home (U.S.) and bring it with me, but the IDR is not a currency Wells Fargo (my home bank) sells. I have the Charles Schwab debit card, which has been quite handy in Europe and Mexico. Has anyone had trouble using that card in Jakarta at an ATM? Though not my first choice, I plan to bring plenty of USD in case I need to do hand-to-hand money exchange.

I've read the Jakarta airport is a decent place to get money, and I would prefer not to have to wander the streets of Jakarta looking for a money changer.
It looks like there's Bank Mandiri and Bank Central Asia ATMs in the airport. Are these national trusted banks in Indonesia? I'm staying at the FM7 Hotel, but Google Maps doesn't show any nearby banks.

If you've been to Jakarta recently, any tips or advice would be helpful.

In case you plan to exchange cash, keep in mind that your dollar notes should be in mint condition and of the latest "version" (not sure what is the correct term in English). Older "versions" and/or used notes (folded, wrinkled etc) most probably won't be accepted by the vendors.
Interestingly the same people, accepted my used euros with no problem.
I really don't know why this happens. The official excuse I've been given is that older and not perfect US dollar notes are not accepted by local banks.

This is true for Forex Money Exchangers in my country and also across South Asia I believe. The $100 bill with a blue stripe in middle of the note is new design. You may be charged an extra rate for exchanging older design notes or they might simply refuse to accept them. So better to check your currency before you leave. You will only get the best currency rates for 100$ bills and progressively lower rates for $50, $10 etc., so carry only $100 bills.

Also Beware of ATM withdrawal charges per transaction at foreign bank ATMs - better to withdraw large sums to minimise the cost per dollar. It is usually $3 per transaction (including just checking your bank balance and not even withdrawing money!) or even more. I’ve been ripped off by a foreign bank ATM at Kuta for a shocking amount (almost scam level) for a routine withdrawal. Be sure to read the printed instructions inside the ATM booth for maximum withdrawable amount, associated charges etc., and choose the ATM that allows a large value withdrawal. That is to say use the ATM for large value multiple day requirements, go back straight to your hotel room and deposit the cash in your room locker or suitcase. Don’t use ATMs for daily small cash requirements.

It looks like there's Bank Mandiri and Bank Central Asia ATMs in the airport. Are these national trusted banks in Indonesia? I'm staying at the FM7 Hotel, but Google Maps doesn't show any nearby banks.

Sorido Bay Resort and the Damaii II is exactly the trip I will plan myself when I return to Raja4. Nice job on picking winners your first time.

There are ATMs in the Jakarta airport. No need to leave the airport.

You probably won't need much cash at all though. Perhaps only for tips to staff members at Sorido Bay and the Damai II. You can use your credit card everywhere in terminal 3 if you want food or sundry items.

Mandiri is the largest bank in Indonesia and you can trust it. There probably is a BNI ATM in the airport too. If I'm not mistaken, BNI is state-owned.

I can vouch that the Anara Hotel in terminal 3 is nice. I believe it's more convenient than the FM7.

Download and test out WhatsApp on your phone before you go. It's used everywhere.

If your phone takes physical SIM cards, you can buy one at CGK. Very affordable. Make sure you say you're going to Raja Ampat. If your phone only takes eSIMs, you'll have to do more research.

A reputable taxi driver in Sorong is named Nur. You can reach him on WhatsApp. Rides last year were 100.000 IDR, or about $6.

Garuda is the best airline to Sorong. The Swiss BelHotel is the best place to stay there. Not much to see in Sorong, but the Buddhist temple is popular and the local traditional market isn't something you'll see in the US. I would minimize your time in Sorong if I were you.

I’ve always suspected but was never able to cross check - is it true that ATMs at the airport calculate a different (poorer) forex rate than those in the town/city? I know that money exchangers give a poorer rate right at the airport compared to those in the town… but ATMs?

Sorido Bay Resort and the Damaii II is exactly the trip I will plan myself when I return to Raja4. Nice job on picking winners your first time.

There are ATMs in the Jakarta airport. No need to leave the airport.

You probably won't need much cash at all though. Perhaps only for tips to staff members at Sorido Bay and the Damai II. You can use your credit card everywhere in terminal 3 if you want food or sundry items.
Thanks for the advice! Since I don't have the unlimited prepaid dive package at Sorido Bay, the credit card fee is 3%, and the Damai II charges 5%. Sorido Bay takes USD, Euro, and IDR. I've seen pictures of people getting their IDR in paper bags because there's so many bills. I have credit cards that earn 3% on travel, so at least I'll break even. The Damai, however, I'll bring enough cash for tips and miscellaneous items.

Edit: Just heard from Bluewater that the Damai no longer accepts credit cards due to a new law in Indonesia.

Mandiri is the largest bank in Indonesia and you can trust it. There probably is a BNI ATM in the airport too. If I'm not mistaken, BNI is state-owned.

I can vouch that the Anara Hotel in terminal 3 is nice. I believe it's more convenient than the FM7.

Download and test out WhatsApp on your phone before you go. It's used everywhere.

If your phone takes physical SIM cards, you can buy one at CGK. Very affordable. Make sure you say you're going to Raja Ampat. If your phone only takes eSIMs, you'll have to do more research.

A reputable taxi driver in Sorong is named Nur. You can reach him on WhatsApp. Rides last year were 100.000 IDR, or about $6.

Garuda is the best airline to Sorong. The Swiss BelHotel is the best place to stay there. Not much to see in Sorong, but the Buddhist temple is popular and the local traditional market isn't something you'll see in the US. I would minimize your time in Sorong if I were you.
On the recommendation of the Bluewater travel agent, I'm flying with Garuda because they have a scuba equipment baggage allowance, and I'm staying at Swiss BelHotel in Sorong just one day before the liveaboard starts to allow for airline problems.

Another example from Asia …
Please make sure that all notes are no older than 2007 and are in very good condition. This is a stipulation from the Maldives Monetary Authority and many banks in Maldives. Our dive centre can only accept notes in these conditions.

Thanks for the advice! Since I don't have the unlimited prepaid dive package at Sorido Bay, the credit card fee is 3%, and the Damai II charges 5%. Sorido Bay takes USD, Euro, and IDR. I've seen pictures of people getting their IDR in paper bags because there's so many bills. I have credit cards that earn 3% on travel, so at least I'll break even. The Damai, however, I'll bring enough cash for tips and miscellaneous items.

Edit: Just heard from Bluewater that the Damai no longer accepts credit cards due to a new law in Indonesia.

I'm surprised you need to pay for things on site at Sorido Bay and on the Damai II. Seems like paying for dives in advance would be easier and cheaper. Maybe you want more flexibility than a dive package allows.

I had an unpleasant time settling up on a Raja4 liveaboard. I needed to pay my bar bill, port fees, etc. My credit card, a United Visa card from Chase, was not approved. Especially frustrating for a credit card marketed towards travelers. I called Chase in the US. They didn't want to approve the purchase until I called them from my US cell phone number. My US phone did not work in Indonesia since I only had an Indonesian SIM. I called from a friend's phone who had T-Mobile and international roaming. I forget how I convinced them the purchase was legit, but it was a total headache and I was the last passenger off the boat.

I switched to Google Voice soon after returning home to make future trips easier.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I see why you need to pay for so many things on site.

I'm surprised you need to pay for things on site at Sorido Bay and on the Damai II. Seems like paying for dives in advance would be easier and cheaper. Maybe you want more flexibility than a dive package allows.
Sorido Bay offers two types of packages, unlimited diving, including jetty diving (don't know what that is), and 1 night dive per day or ala carte. The price difference is $1250, so I elected to do ala carte. I'd have to do 24 dives in my 10-night stay just to break even. And they don't dive from Friday afternoon till 7 p.m. Saturday for crew rest. With travel days, I might have 7 days available to dive, and my trip includes two Fridays and Saturdays.

The Damai II just socked me with a fuel charge of $250, so I need to bring even more cash.
I had an unpleasant time settling up on a Raja4 liveaboard. I needed to pay my bar bill, port fees, etc. My credit card, a United Visa card from Chase, was not approved. Especially frustrating for a credit card marketed towards travelers. I called Chase in the US. They didn't want to approve the purchase until I called them from my US cell phone number. My US phone did not work in Indonesia since I only had an Indonesian SIM. I called from a friend's phone who had T-Mobile and international roaming. I forget how I convinced them the purchase was legit, but it was a total headache and I was the last passenger off the boat.

I switched to Google Voice soon after returning home to make future trips easier.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I see why you need to pay for so many things on site.

After reading through a few threads on the topic of obtaining IDR, I need to ask you all for some first-timer-to-Asia tips. I'm traveling from Oregon to Jakarta next month for a pre-dive stay to get over the jetlag before going on to Sorong for 10 days at Sorido Bay Resort followed by 11 days liveaboard on the Damai II as part of a Bluewater group dive trip. For one less detail to deal with upon arrival to a foreign country, I usually buy my foreign currency at home (U.S.) and bring it with me, but the IDR is not a currency Wells Fargo (my home bank) sells. I have the Charles Schwab debit card, which has been quite handy in Europe and Mexico. Has anyone had trouble using that card in Jakarta at an ATM? Though not my first choice, I plan to bring plenty of USD in case I need to do hand-to-hand money exchange.

I've read the Jakarta airport is a decent place to get money, and I would prefer not to have to wander the streets of Jakarta looking for a money changer.

If you've been to Jakarta recently, any tips or advice would be helpful.
Only use ATM inside of a bank or grocery shop (Indomaret, ...).
I never used outdoors ATM in Asia anymore after having been fooled once ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom