Is leisurepro.com the best place to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gedunk:
Around here, you have a choice for air. Go to a LDS (if one still exists) or set up your own air station. So, in our area, taking the air & services provided by an LDS for granted is shortsighted unless of course you have the means and desire to set up your own air station.

While I understand what you are saying here, I stick by my original statements. If the LDS goes out of business due to poor practices, and the market is there, someone will step in just to fill that niche. I've seen welding supply shops that supplied air because the market was there, and it didn't take a lot for them to set up for it. If the market is there, someone will take your money....

I am the one who wrote the post. Since then, I went to my LDS and ask if they would match or beat Scuba Toys or any other online store they said " NO" but I told him to work with me and sell it a little lower than what it was priced for. They did not want to.Then he said - what if you were going to FIJI and your reg was not working the day before, I would lend you one.
WHAT A GREAT DEAL- ONE I CANT REFUSE. IF THATS THE REASON FOR THE MARK UP I can't wait for the going out of buisness SALE I'll have plenty of regs and a air comp. for FIJI!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if FIJI has a dive shop to rent gear HMMMMMMMMMMM :ne_nau:

ScottZeagle:
I don't know this to be true.

Zeagle has a "minimum advertised price", which is the lowest price an AUTHORIZED dealer can sell a product for online or advertise in a magazine.

We do not, however, have a minimum price that a shop can SELL a product for.
They set their own prices and can discount as little or as much as they would like.

Scott
So, that's why the "Call for Pricing" sign, a MAP?
Perfect, I was just wondering about that last night.

Thanks,

Tom

God people. It's all about money and I work hard for mine. You mean to tell me you don't shop around for better deals on cars? How about an airplane or anything that cost conciderable money? Did you re-finance your home lately? Did you go to your local bank and pay them 7% when you could get a better deal from a bank in another State? How about car insurance do you take the first price from the guy down the block when you know a better rate in waiting for you from another insurance company from some other State? How about a computer store did you purchase your last computer from a mom and pop shop next door? Most likely not because he won't compete fairly within the market and the internet prices. But when you look around all these places are still here and still service whatever you buy. The mark-up in very over blown and the LDS is making a killing on your stupidity and sympathy. Poor foolish person with your money you and your money will soon part. Do I go down to the local tavern and pay some dirt bag $4 a bottle for his warm beer when I can buy the whole six pack and sit by the beach and enjoy the cost savings and 6 cold beers.

taildragger:
God people. It's all about money and I work hard for mine. You mean to tell me you don't shop around for better deals on cars? How about an airplane or anything that cost conciderable money? Did you re-finance your home lately? Did you go to your local bank and pay them 7% when you could get a better deal from a bank in another State? How about car insurance do you take the first price from the guy down the block when you know a better rate in waiting for you from another insurance company from some other State? How about a computer store did you purchase your last computer from a mom and pop shop next door? Most likely not because he won't compete fairly within the market and the internet prices. But when you look around all these places are still here and still service whatever you buy. The mark-up in very over blown and the LDS is making a killing on your stupidity and sympathy. Poor foolish person with your money you and your money will soon part. Do I go down to the local tavern and pay some dirt bag $4 a bottle for his warm beer when I can buy the whole six pack and sit by the beach and enjoy the cost savings and 6 cold beers.

I agree with you 100%. Forget the LDS if you save more than $10-15. Your helping yourself out, a dollar is a dollar, make sense of every penny you have. Your LDS probably has other customers, other wise he'd be outta buisness.

Al Mialkovsky:
Just keep buying from internet stores. Eventually you'll be buying your own air compressor :)
Have you checked out the prices on good compressors and storage tanks? Folks in this and other fora have already put that "fear" tactic to rest. I was thinking about buying one for other hobbies before I got back into diving.
It's a lousy argument made worse by the fact it's been refuted so many times already. Maybe you've missed the information (as I often do) by reading too fast, but it's often repeated, repeated often, said again, redundicated...

Tom
Do you need help? I'm from the Department of Redundancy Department, I'm here to help you. Is there anything I can do for you?
Do you need help? I'm from the department of Redundancy Department, I'm here to help you. Is there anything I can do for you?
May I help you?
May I help you?
Do you have any questions? I answer questions. I have millions of answers. Would you like an answer from my portable answer bag?
Specialty answers cost more, prefitted answers cost less.
Form fitting answers, WAAYYY expensive!
Pricing policy changes with question and attitude, mine or yours.

compressor:
You called the argument "BS." If that is not foul language I don't know what is?
I have no other comment.
I'm telling! I'm telling!
Somebody said a naughty!!
Somebody said a naughty!!

Tom

scubatoys:
Or if that was their MARP price - as in SP products, that is the lowest price you can sell it for. And in scubapro's case - must be an over the counter sale.

Good post Larry. I have extensive experience in both storefront and online retail grossing well into seven figures in our particular business which is professional audio. While the manufacturer is able to constrain the method of selling to an extent (eg. must be in store, etc) typically under US antitrust law they are not allowed to set your end retail price with a few exceptions. As you know, online sales are considered advertising and prices posted are constrained by MAP. For the rest of the divers here, basically MARP is permissable as long as there "appears to be no harm to the consumer". Here's the rub, if the dealer complains, they yank the dealership and they end up with nothing. If enough consumers complain, Scubapro could be subject to an FTC investigation. It would most likely take 1000 or more complaints to initiate something and perhaps nothing would happen. Since Scubapro isn't the only manufacturer making this kind of gear, there would likely be no harm to consumers. They could choose to get it elsewhere. There are a ton of loopholes in vertical price maintainance, and this is one of them.

What I do, is vote with my wallet. I don't do business with manufacturers that use MARP.

Dave

daveinseattle:
Good post Larry. I have extensive experience in both storefront and online retail grossing well into seven figures in our particular business which is professional audio. While the manufacturer is able to constrain the method of selling to an extent (eg. must be in store, etc) typically under US antitrust law they are not allowed to set your end retail price with a few exceptions. As you know, online sales are considered advertising and prices posted are constrained by MAP. For the rest of the divers here, basically MARP is permissable as long as there "appears to be no harm to the consumer". Here's the rub, if the dealer complains, they yank the dealership and they end up with nothing. If enough consumers complain, Scubapro could be subject to an FTC investigation. It would most likely take 1000 or more complaints to initiate something and perhaps nothing would happen. Since Scubapro isn't the only manufacturer making this kind of gear, there would likely be no harm to consumers. They could choose to get it elsewhere. There are a ton of loopholes in vertical price maintainance, and this is one of them.

What I do, is vote with my wallet. I don't do business with manufacturers that use MARP.

Dave

Thanks for the information. I have been to places where SP prices are discounted. Example Grand Cayman, Honolulu.... They seem to be places where there is competition. In cities where there are only a dealer or two, the prices are @MSRP. I've seen it even 20% over MSRP. No reason to patronize a dealer like that/. Hard Earned cash will go to another dealer (or mailorder location).

aaronlinder:
Not that this will change anyone's mind or necessarily should, but I just callled Aqualung and Scubapro, and they confirmed that dealers are only authorized to give a 10% discount on their products. If a dealer goes to a higher level discount the warranty is null and void. This policy is of course depends on the company. I only called two of them.

Wow -- now how the %$^&* would they know (A) how much the discount was, and (B) how that discount affects the viability of the product and it's warranty. The dealer is in colusion with the manufacturer to basically hold a "gun" to you (just a euphamism here) in an attempt to hold you hostage to a really bad business practice. I think that stinks and I can't condone any LDS who will knowingly support the manufacturer on this. If they do, then they deserve to reap what they sow.

Back
Top Bottom