Is leisurepro.com the best place to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rje634:
Well to update my LP return:
Last week I received a brand new OMS analyzer to replace the one that I sent to them. Yes it did take 6 weeks but it did get replaced. Am I happy I got a new analyzer -Yes ... Am I happy it took 6 weeks - NO!!!
Guess there is some amount of sacrafice for a good price...

This may have been a problem with OMS, not with LP. I've dealt with LP in the past and always been very satisfied, (though my wife was not given the best advice when she bought new fins for my birthday.) As long as you know exactly what you want, they're okay.

OMS has a terrible reputation for customer service in my area. They refuse to replace faulty gear even when brand new, in the box, and obviously (apparent to the naked eye!) faulty when opened in the dive shop! They insist on a return and a repair. So at best, you get a refurbished product many weeks later and at the full price of a new product. The dive shops around here try to steer folks to Dive Rite, a company that prides itself on taking care of customers.

LDS, LP, is anyone else getting tired of the acronyms? These days there are Local Dive Shops that do Biz. on the net. So why not seek them out and buy from them. You can call and have questions answered by divers. The Staff at Leisure Pro "Don't Dive". Decide can be based on information from "Real Divers". Your life may depend on it. In New Jersy, that is http://www.1877scubausa.com

Always Breath:
LDS, LP, is anyone else getting tired of the acronyms? These days there are Local Dive Shops that do Biz. on the net. So why not seek them out and buy from them. You can call and have questions answered by divers. The Staff at Leisure Pro "Don't Dive". Decide can be based on information from "Real Divers". Your life may depend on it. In New Jersy, that is http://www.1877scubausa.com

Do you price match?

Poseidon8118:
LDS instruction only (low overhead) keeps them in business...LP gear (better life support for my $$$), nuff said.

The LDS that only offers instruction will go away.
(They are, or soon will become, independent instructors.)

Chad

Just to let everybody know: Leisure Pro delivered some weeks later a second part and again some weeks later the third part. All complete now but took unfortunately a long time.

Dilldapp

dilldapp:
I ordered a Bare drysuit (complete package) at Leisure Pro and I got delivered half of the package. I started now waiting for the rest for some weeks already. I am going to contact them soon. I did it ordering by phone to make sure everything was available and on stock.
I hope I don't make a bad experience in the next weeks. I will let you know.

Dilldapp

Here are the things that I feel are useful in this discussion.

1. People want to support LDS's for a couple of reasons:
- they supply airfills
- they supply instruction
- they supply face to face communications
- they supply gear recommendations as local divers(not always true)
- they have MFR warranties on all products they sell (is this true?)
2. People want to support online vendors like LeisurePro for a couple of reasons:
- they are cheaper (not always true)
- they are online, making it easier for those of us who are net savy
- they ship their products to your door

I don't think we should be talking about "supporting" either Local Dive Shops or online vendors like LeisurePro or ScubaToys. They don't need to be supported, they are businesses that should support us. This is how capitalism works. People compete for your business, or more specifically, your money. If your local dive shop has convinced you that you need to pay the higher prices so that they can continue to provide you with air fills, then they are the better business because they are getting your money. Good for them.

LeisurePro and many of the online vendors operate local dive shops in parts of the country. When do you decide that the local dive shop needs your loyalty? Here on Maui, we have the Maui Dive Shop. You will see on their website that they have like 7 different shops around the island. LeisurePro only has the website and the one shop. Does that mean that I should support Maui Dive Shop because they are near me, or should I support LeisurePro because they are a seemingly smaller operation that needs loyalty to continue doing business. This is not a simple discussion and should not be treated that way. People contribute to this discussion from around the country. Different places bring different perceptions to this discussion. Maui has more dive shops than I can count. I can get a tank filled anywhere on the island. But a guy living in the middle of Wyoming is going to have a harder time finding a place to fill his tank. The guy in Wyoming is going to value his local dive shop more than I will value mine. The guy who is looking for snow blowers on Maui is going to be in the same situation as the guy looking for a dive shop in Wyoming. Just the way it is.

Just out of curiosity, do shops like ScubaToys and LeisurePro have the same great prices in their stores as they do online?

I would say that I am on the side of econmics in this argument. You don't always get what you pay for, you need to be a smart shopper, and when you are in an expensive sport like SCUBA diving, bad shopping can be expensive. If an online retailler has a dirt cheap price but no warranty, you may not want to buy something like a dive computer or a regulator from them. Just be a smart shopper, be knowledgable. Do your own research. Don't rely on the opinion of some guy who's job is to sell you something from the store you're in. That's like asking a Ford dealer whether he prefers a Ford or a Chevy. I am thankful for both online retailers and local dive shops, they both fill a role and that's why they are both still around.

Keep on divin',
James

Due to the manufactures rules about advertised pricing you dont get to here the bottom line until you call or visit SCUBATOYS. I buy from ST often and Larry will meet or beet any prices plus you get the real warranty and service.

some people like me that make only MINIMUM WAGE cant afford to screw around with our money.if you think im going to take my sherwood brut regulator that i paid 300 dollars for because thats the best that i could afford at the shop down to 200 feet you are wrong. im going to pay 300 dollars online and get a very nice reg.if my lds wants me to support them they better support me, which they dont.

well said California Diver.

I've purchased some cheap stuff from LP. the transactions went very well but receiving the item took about 2 to 3 days longer than expected. I think stores like LP and others should have the goods at your door within 5 to 6 days (not counting weekends) ground shipping... as long as you're not all the way across the country.

Anyways, I like LP. But i'm about to give larry some of my business since his prices are just as good and his website rocks (i love the funny pictures). I just don't trust LP with regulators for some reason, it just gives me an uneasy feeling.

Oh yea, my LDS is 35 miles away. My lake that I dive is 6 miles away. I get my air from the marina at the lake, so I never have reason to go to the shop. I have yet to buy anything from my LDS.. just look around when i go up there. I PREFER the internet and buying online.

Will i support my LDS? No... (maybe if he turned into an internet retailer and offered great prices i would, otherwise... no).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom