Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not looking to pick a fight here, but where are you pulling these assertions out of?

Dispensing of medication is not generally considered first aid. Oxygen is and because of specific first aid certifications have been developed to address, and now we are seeing Narcan. But even the difference between EMT's and paramedics you see medications as being a big issue. ABO is USP data sheet ABO
Maybe you're getting confused because of the protections provided under most good sam laws to medical professionals vs laypersons. When medical professionals render aid in an emergency, they are expected to provide a level of care consistent with their training and expertise. In contrast, laypersons are typically only expected to provide care that a reasonable person without specialized training would provide under similar circumstances.

As for the SDS the significant bit there is "Other Means of Identification," the link you provided is the generic SDS for Oxygen on airgas's website. You get that same SDS regardless of if you click on it from USP Medical, Industrial O2, or ABO.

1704144782183.png

If you look at some cylinders, you'll see that medical O2 is labeled oxygen, compressed usp and ABO is labeled oxygen compressed "Aviator's breathing"

Regardless the pedantics around ABO vs USP is offtopic.

Maybe you're getting confused because of the protections provided under most good sam laws to medical professionals vs laypersons. When medical professionals render aid in an emergency, they are expected to provide a level of care consistent with their training and expertise. In contrast, laypersons are typically only expected to provide care that a reasonable person without specialized training would provide under similar circumstances.

As for the SDS the significant bit there is "Other Means of Identification," the link you provided is the generic SDS for Oxygen on airgas's website. You get that same SDS regardless of if you click on it from USP Medical, Industrial O2, or ABO.

View attachment 818687
If you look at some cylinders, you'll see that medical O2 is labeled oxygen, compressed usp and ABO is labeled oxygen compressed "Aviator's breathing"

Regardless the pedantics around ABO vs USP is offtopic.
Again, Good Sam laws are not a universal construct , and nope not getting confused. A diver /instructor using oxygen to TREAT DCS (not first aid) using a controlled drug isn't even just a training issue legally, it's also scope of license for a medical professional.

To the oxygen, read the "other means of identification". Honestly and truly, the FDA in the states, and the equiv in many other countries have ruled that aviators oxygen is the same as medical grade regards being controlled. heck, in some countries, even your pilots license won't get your oxygen filled, the FBO has special forms, local doc etc that all need filling out.

Anyhow, be well and happy new year

Maybe things didn't happen as immediate as they should, but really, what more can he ask for??
you do remember the part in the story where DAN denied him Hyperbaric treatment, right?

3 hour dive dehydrated because he didn't wear a diaper or condom catheters. Once you go down the route of diving with heavy deco then you need to plan for normal bodily function without sacrificing your health. Dehydration for the sake of not peeing is a stupid choice. Even a midly knowledgeable rec diver knows that.
Funny you say that. The air force has spent millions on a device that replaces pee bladders with a sort of "pee sucker" called AMXDmax because it turns out fighter pilots would rather be dehydrated while flying jets than pee in bladders. It's ome thing to "know" and another thing to actually do it consistently despite the inconvenience. It's only human.

If Woody did not receive special treatment due to Dive Talk and its exposure.
Then why was he able to talk to their CEO? Would the avg. insured be able to discuss reimbursement and problems with the CEO? The video does not say whether Visa, Master Card or for that matter AMEX were notified before traveling outside the country. Gus said that at no time did they disclose they were Dive Talk, with your friends life on the line, would anyone not mention who they are if they believe that would help save their friend?

Gus said that at no time did they disclose they were Dive Talk, with your friends life on the line, would anyone not mention who they are if they believe that would help save their friend?
I have only met them once. And they were very friendly. I have no beef with them at all.
In that one 20 minute encounter, I think Dive Talk and them being very famous was mentioned 374 times.
I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe it wasn't mentioned.

He needed a better CC company, and to notify them before travling overseas.
Perhaps, but he made the most convincing case I have ever seen for AMEX. I am probably going to get one, after seeing this. When I go to the Bahamas I carry only a few to several hundred dollars. I had always assumed DAN would send a helo from Ft. Lauderdale, If I really needed it.

Perhaps, but he made the most convincing case I have ever seen for AMEX. I am probably going to get one, after seeing this. When I go to the Bahamas I carry only a few to several hundred dollars. I had always assumed DAN would send a helo from Ft. Lauderdale, If I really needed it.
I think we all assumed they would. Woody provided receipts where he paid over 28k. People are claiming it’s normal, but I wonder how many have access to that type of liquidity at 11 pm at night. Very few I’d imagine.

Linked is a video from the guys at Dive Talk. One of them suffered DCS and had an ordeal with DAN. It is a long video but it sounds like a real nightmare dealing with DAN.

Also came here immediately after viewing the video to post. This is absolutely ridiculous. The fact that two divers were able to get more done than DAN and all its resources is outrageous.
Hopefully a new player can step in…maybe something like Lemonade

If Woody did not receive special treatment due to Dive Talk and its exposure.
Then why was he able to talk to their CEO? Would the avg. insured be able to discuss reimbursement and problems with the CEO? The video does not say whether Visa, Master Card or for that matter AMEX were notified before traveling outside the country. Gus said that at no time did they disclose they were Dive Talk, with your friends life on the line, would anyone not mention who they are if they believe that would help save their friend?
In the video, Gus claims DAN called him on the second day and it was a higher up. She gave multiple clarifications on why 24 hours for medevac and was explaining a lot of things. Gus was under the impression they realized who they were at this point.

I don’t know if telling DAN “I’m dive talk” would do anything. It’s not like saying “ I’m Taylor swift”. How many recreational divers would even recognize Gus and woody? Maybe 10 percent?

I think DAN realized they messed up and will try to contain the backlash. I’m already researching different insurances, ones that will immediately medvac me in case of emergency. Not send me forms and tell me it’ll be atleast 24 hours. The only reason they reimbursed woody for the 8k medevac was because of who he is. DANs own website and policy states they will only pay for evac for what they setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom