If a tank fail hydro, what happen to it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My question is that are they being distroy at the hydroshop, or should I be able to get my tank back.

I am asking because I took a AL80 in for hydro 6+ monthes ago. After that, I went out of country for a job for 6 monthes. Now I am back, I called the shop for my tank status. They said my tank failed and have been distroyed, and it is the law that tank fail hydro can't be returned to the customer. Is there any true to this? Or the shop just simply lost my tank?

All the failures I've seen have ended up sawn in half and used as flower pots or door wedges.

It's still your property though, so they should return it to you - even if physically 'decommissioned'.

Bad, bad, bad dive shop. If a cylinder fails hydro the ONLY thing that may be done is to XXX out the DOT markings. A cylinder should NEVER be destroyed or made unusable WITHOUT the permission of the owner. If you signed nothing which is often the case the shop owes you a new cylinder as they have disposed of your property without your permission.

WHY - a cylinder that fails hydro can not be filled commercially (the reason the DOT markings are XXX out). There is absolutely no reason why it can not be filled privately at your own risk.

If I would distroy a tank, I think/am sure the customer would hang/shoot me :shocked:
If it where my tank,I would like a second opinion, so that tank comes back to me, one way or the other.

hmm, that is what I thought too. I always know that shop was not the most organize one out there. And they have moved a couple monthes ago. Probably they just lost the tank or decided to not to move it to their new location. Anyway, I think I take part of the responsibility here too because I left it there for too long. The fortunate part is I didn't pay too much for this tank to begin with.

I was thinking if the tank fail, I will strip the paint, sand it down, saw the top off and use it as umbralla hold at home (since it is kind of rainy here), no more now.

Reactions: Jax
If it where my tank,I would like a second opinion, so that tank comes back to me, one way or the other.

Hydro facilities that I have used will not return a cylinder that fails the actual hydro test without XX out the DOT markings. Not sure what they would do if the cylinder failed the visual - would probably depend on what part of it. That said if with in the scuba VIP and it failed I would be happy to return it without a sticker. However, I would ask the customer to sign inspection report.

Why a cylinder can fail the visual but be returned to service after say tumbling or removal of a coating.

The real problem is when shops do not have customers sign a form stating the terms of inspection/repair.

hmm, that is what I thought too. I always know that shop was not the most organize one out there. And they have moved a couple monthes ago. Probably they just lost the tank or decided to not to move it to their new location. Anyway, I think I take part of the responsibility here too because I left it there for too long.

I would agree most places have a policy of anything left after 3-6 months will be sold to recoup their expenses. However, I would talk with the owner as they gave you a line of BS about failure and having to destroy it.

From a certified hydro tester:
The approved method is stamping XXX's over the DOT specification number and the marked pressure, or stamp CODEMNED on the cylinder. No damage to the cylinder is allowed. IE: Filling the threads, drilling holes in the tank, nor cutting tank in half.

I would talk to the dive shop and ask to see the tank. If they won't show it to you, I would clearly ask just what kind of a deal will they make on a nice new HP100 or?

Lets say the tank did fail, someone could have taken the tank down to the recycle center with all their empty beer cans, and got enough money to buy some more beer.

Scared Silly:6285182:
Bad, bad, bad dive shop. If a cylinder fails hydro the ONLY thing that may be done is to XXX out the DOT markings. A cylinder should NEVER be destroyed or made unusable WITHOUT the permission of the owner. If you signed nothing which is often the case the shop owes you a new cylinder as they have disposed of your property without your permission.

WHY - a cylinder that fails hydro can not be filled commercially (the reason the DOT markings are XXX out). There is absolutely no reason why it can not be filled privately at your own risk.

They should not mark out anything on the cylinder without the owners permission. The owner may want to take the cylinder to another hydro shop for a second opinion. If the DOT gets XXX out then there is no need for a second opinion now is there.

Mine came back with the serial number stamped over with XXXXXXXXXX's. I'm torn between making a bell or a cannon out of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom