Two tank Straps for BCD? Why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Scubapro LiteHawk, lightest BCD Scubapro made at the time. One proper cam band and one Velcro strap for stabilizing the tank. The Velcro strap works as intended, but I would not trust it to keep a tank from sliding out. It is pretty much neutrally buoyant and surprisingly comfortable, but my titanium backplate and wing seems lighter and equally comfortable
Thanks! Great thoughts!

I assume you are saying this sarcastically, and that your point is no one ever does this.
Yet, tanks slip out of straps...do you suppose there is a cause-and-effect correlation?
There’s a myriad of other issues besides not wetting it. The reality is if there’s a solution that can decrease a good percent of these slippages from occurring then why isn’t it a standard? People used to dive without a backup regulator and then someone was like “duh” because things fail and not always due to user error. Material stretches, pressure changes and blaming the person instead of problem solving for a reduction in the issue seems petty. But yes, the sarcasm is there for the reason there’s always someone who seeks to blame than resolve.

Incredible!

Don’t listen to us dude, the truth is our cylinders slip out all the time, we just don’t have money to buy a better BCD with 2 straps and want everyone else to be miserable like us, with our tanks slipping all the time.

Don’t listen to us, buy a new BCD with 2 straps.

People used to dive without a backup regulator and then someone was like “duh” because things fail and not always due to user error.
Best to get your history right, if you are trying to make a point. The 2nd regulator came in NOT because of equipment failures but because of human failures; people were dying trying to buddy-breath from a single regulator. Solution, a second regulator.

I have no fundamental issues with a second tank band on a BCD. My point is it is neither the only solution nor possibly the best solution. If both bands are loose, your tank will still fall out. Just tighten the damn band and all is well. People try and make the band tight without wetting it first; good luck with that if you are using a cam band. There are better bands if you MUST have a dry strap. People try and make the band tight without using the cam action properly; good luck with that. The solution to a loose tank is a tight band, not two bands. Yes, two bands gives redundancy. Nice. But at least one of them better be tight.

I have no fundamental issues with a second tank band on a BCD. My point is it is neither the only solution nor possibly the best solution. If both bands are loose, your tank will still fall out. Just tighten the damn band and all is well. People try and make the band tight without wetting it first; good luck with that if you are using a cam band. There are better bands if you MUST have a dry strap. People try and make the band tight without using the cam action properly; good luck with that. The solution to a loose tank is a tight band, not two bands. Yes, two bands gives redundancy. Nice. But at least one of them better be tight.
Friction is proportional to the load that presses the forces together. Two bands = twice the friction at the same clamping force. Put it another way, if you have two bands you only need to get them half as tight to be equally effective. This is an advantage in many situations, for example for dives off larger boats where you don't have an opportunity to dip your rig and divers with limited strength or arthritis who find it difficult to adjust a band to be tight enough or to close a really tight band.

Friction is proportional to the load that presses the forces together. Two bands = twice the friction at the same clamping force. Put it another way, if you have two bands you only need to get them half as tight to be equally effective. This is an advantage in many situations, for example for dives off larger boats where you don't have an opportunity to dip your rig and divers with limited strength or arthritis who find it difficult to both adjust and then close really tight bands.
Exactly

But there’s always someone who looks at every scuba accident and thinks it can’t happen to them because they are better than everyone else.

Friction is proportional to the load that presses the forces together. Two bands = twice the friction at the same clamping force. Put it another way, if you have two bands you only need to get them half as tight to be equally effective. This is an advantage in many situations, for example for dives off larger boats where you don't have an opportunity to dip your rig and divers with limited strength or arthritis who find it difficult to both adjust and then close really tight bands.
Uh oh, you just distorted the entire argument by introducing physics.

I have a Zeagle Stiletto ( tropical) and a Zeagle Ranger (Drysuit - Cold Water). Both have two FULL tank cam straps. Even more important for my back mount pony's. I'm also primarily a Solo diver so having a rock solid secure tank is even more important for me.

ykFd6Mx.jpg

Friction is proportional to the load that presses the forces together.
This is a meanless statement. Perhaps you meant to say something else.
Two bands = twice the friction at the same clamping force.
Yes, other things being equal.
Put it another way, if you have two bands you only need to get them half as tight to be equally effective.
Maybe. You also only need one of them to be tight to have the other be irrelevant.

I'm not arguing against two bands. I'm arguing that this is not the only way to try and solve the OP's problem of a loose tank for which he refuses to take any responsibility. It is an equipment solution to a skills problem, as they say.

It is an equipment solution to a skills problem, as they say.

One of the rare occasions when I agree with you. I don't think that two bands is the solution to the OP's concern.

Back
Top Bottom