Two tank Straps for BCD? Why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a terrible incident where my tank slipped out of my current BCD that only has one tank strap. That took me down the rabbit hole don’t BCD have two?

Since it is not fun to not be able to secure a tank 30 minutes into a dive at 60 feet deep while trying to maintain buoyancy I’d like a BCD with two straps. In my current Mares jacket I was able to place a second strap.

Even if the BCD does not come with two, do you know of any that you can add a second one?

I was looking at Scubapro Hydros Pro but it’s not possible to add a second strap.

Scubapro tells me that one cannot be added to the Seahawk, but in looking online some people have?

Currently have a jacket and am looking at a back inflate. I am also a drysuit diver and do travel to warmer waters.
Thank you for your help.
Yeah…it’s the weight for travel I don’t want. They often do have two straps and that’s great but heavy AF for travel.

It looks like you’re looking for a complicated solution to a simple problem. Your tank slipped NOT because one strap isn’t enough to hold it, it slipped because one strap wasn’t PROPERLY secured. It is super common, if you’ve ever worked on dive boats you’d see how many divers simply don’t know how to use a cam band strap, or even different styles of tank bands for that matter.

I’d look into learning how to do it properly, that’d solve your problem.

This is probably a stupid question. Did you dunk the BCD in water to wet the band before strapping in the tank? Ive always heard the can/will slip free if you dont pre wet the band. Ive never seen it but my instructors swear by it.

I have a Scubapro LiteHawk, lightest BCD Scubapro made at the time. One proper cam band and one Velcro strap for stabilizing the tank. The Velcro strap works as intended, but I would not trust it to keep a tank from sliding out. It is pretty much neutrally buoyant and surprisingly comfortable, but my titanium backplate and wing seems lighter and equally comfortable

First, you are showing a BP/W with STEEL plate not AL. Second, the Seahawk material, including padding, is made of non-floating material.
I can't help but call BS on this. I see nothing in the Scubapro documentation suggesting this BC is made of some special plastic that would make ti more negative than an AL bp/w setup - especially since it has padding. If so, I want a 7mm wetsuit made of this same negative buoyancy padding

To clarify the SeaHawk 2 has one standard cam band (metal) and then a more standard velcro strap as a back up PLUS the valve strap?

The SeaHawk 2 has one Scubapro tank band (I think called cinch band), one narrower band that secures with velcro and the narrower strap with clip used to mark the height of the bc on the Tank and to carry the BC with when off tank. The SP tank band (cinch band) does most of the work and is most secure. This cinch band is very easy to put on the tank and take it off but may take work when you use it on a tank of different size but once adjust it, it is the easiest tank band to secure or take off a tank and most secure. One other feature of this Scubapro cinch band is that it doesn't loosen after it is wet so much less chance of tank slipping. I replaced the cam band that comes with other brand BC's I have with this Scubapro cinch band.

I can't help but call BS on this. I see nothing in the Scubapro documentation suggesting this BC is made of some special plastic that would make ti more negative than an AL bp/w setup - especially since it has padding.

Scubapro isn't going to compare this BC to any other AL, or anything else, BC in their documentation. I am talking about my experience with two bc's in my most recent trip.

Other manufacturers use "neutral" material/padding in their BC's too btw.

If so, I want a 7mm wetsuit made of this same negative buoyancy padding

Now this is a very ignorant statement to make. Wetsuits need/use material to reduce heat loss not for padding and hence requirements are different.

I also prefer 2 straps. Ive seen too many tanks slip. I supposed one strap properly used can manage, but I prefer 2.

I used to have a BC with 2 straps, but it died. I had trouble finding another economical BC with 2 straps, so I went with a BP/W for my local diving (w a SS plate). You could use an AL or plastic BP if you prefer.

I also bought a HOG Travel Pro for travel, as it was cheap and minimalistic, but still had 2 straps. I considered just swapping out a plastic plate w/ my wing, but it seems like too much trouble, esp. as the HOG was cheap.

Strangely, the regular non-travel HOG Pro only has one strap

It looks like you’re looking for a complicated solution to a simple problem. Your tank slipped NOT because one strap isn’t enough to hold it, it slipped because one strap wasn’t PROPERLY secured. It is super common, if you’ve ever worked on dive boats you’d see how many divers simply don’t know how to use a cam band strap, or even different styles of tank bands for that matter.

I’d look into learning how to do it properly, that’d solve your problem.
LOL. Even the most experienced person diving can have a strap failure. They can slip simply because of different conditions, weather, pressure, etc. And because of all those variables why wouldn’t all BCDs have a second strap in place? That valve strap is only good to stop the tank from dropping to the ocean floor. We could just prevent this with two straps. That said I’ll go back to dive class 101 and ensure I know how to tighten properly. I’m sure you always soak your BCD in the water before putting it on your tank.

I also prefer 2 straps. Ive seen too many tanks slip. I supposed one strap properly used can manage, but I prefer 2.

I used to have a BC with 2 straps, but it died. I had trouble finding another economical BC with 2 straps, so I went with a BP/W for my local diving (w a SS plate). You could use an AL or plastic BP if you prefer.

I also bought a HOG Travel Pro for travel, as it was cheap and minimalistic, but still had 2 straps. I considered just swapping out a plastic plate w/ my wing, but it seems like too much trouble, esp. as the HOG was cheap.

Strangely, the regular non-travel HOG Pro only has one strap
Thanks! That’s part of the issue is the $$$. Appreciate the info.

I’m sure you always soak your BCD in the water before putting it on your tank.
I assume you are saying this sarcastically, and that your point is no one ever does this.
Yet, tanks slip out of straps...do you suppose there is a cause-and-effect correlation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom