Ice Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think that's because it might be, like in my course, that the hole is already there. We did undergo an orientation and section in the course about making a hole, clearing snow around the hole, in the form of arrows and circles.

Seriously? An important lesson in our course was about deciding where to put the hole !!!

(and then we coudln't use a chainsaw to cut it eitehr because of teh damned environmental rules)

Well for me here is a list of some of the stuff I bring:

Dry Suit
Under Armor
Heavy Under Garment
Ring system type dry gloves
My own harness system. I'm kind of funny about my life line stuff. Only trust what I know
Pony bottle
7mm hood

Stove to make hot water
An old large cooler to pour the hot water into. Why??? I stand in it to keep my feet warm while waiting for my next dive

Ice diving is a great way to help the winter pass here in New England, have a good time.

Dry suit?

A good 14mm wet suit with an aeroskin, neoprene socks and a pair of Waterproof Crux mittens will suffice.

It is colder to dive at some place in summer (not in the Greath north) then under the ice.

I can't wait to try Ice diving, maybe this winter and after I'll go defrosting in Phillipines.

is what I'll be divin' should I do any ice diving in the next couple years...

I was wonderin' if anyone was crazy enough... er... motivated enough to ice dive Wet...

I'm about another year or so away from the attempt ,but its something I want to do (tho' I dont relish that transition from wetsuit to dryclothes after the dive).

Is there much of a reverse thermocline? ie. how much warmer is it on the bottom as opposed to near the surface? is there much difference or is it usually a near-uniform temp from surface to bottom?

I imagine that the vis is fantastic , but do you see much in the way of fish? or , does the season change their behavior at all ?

I've heard that breathing/purging a reg while on the surface in cold conditions can predispose your reg to freeflowing underwater, does this mean that when ice diving your not testing/breathing your regs until submersed? (which doesnt seem like a good idea) or do you breathe/test them on the surface as you would normally and just hope for the best in the way of freeflows later ?

I did my class in a 6.5mm 2pc wetsuit. Was in the water for 30 - 32 minutes on 2 different occasions.
As far as the reverse thermocline goes, the surface was 32 degrees (obviously), 25' down my computer showed 35 degrees. That is not enough of a change to be able to feel. The vis was 40'+ in a lake that typically has 10'-15' of vis in the summer. Did not see any fish.
You are right on not test breathing your reg until you are submerged. The water is typically warmer than the air, also the water conducts temp(hot or cold) faster than air. If you test your reg or use your power inflator in the cold air, you run a big risk of Ice forming in the first stage. I oarly inflate my BC prior to entering the water & take my first breath from my reg after my head is submerged. Should the reg fail to breathe properly, I am right at the hole & have a line tender to assist me.

Seriously? An important lesson in our course was about deciding where to put the hole !!!

(and then we coudln't use a chainsaw to cut it eitehr because of teh damned environmental rules)

Yeah I don't remember a conversation about where to put the hole, we probably had that talk and I wasn't paying attention. I do remember needing at least 14 or 16 inches of ice. We did ours in Iowa and it was in a hut. The hut is on the ice for about a month and they can't keep moving it around and cut 4 or 5 holes in the ice in a month.
My thinking is I will go with a guide of some sort on my subsequent ice dives so it will kind of like being in an ice diving class everytime I go. I just don't make that many opportunities to go. I live in Texas...

ACR

If possible do some open water cold water diving first. Maybe you have or you can this spring. With that under your belt it's a cold water dive with an overhead. Being acclimated to diving in water that is below 40F will make it an incremental progression.

Being training dives they are apt to be short so that lessens the thermal challenge even further. There is the chance of being in the water for problem solving so you do want to be prepared to be in there for a while.

The class will include harnessing, rope protocols and rotate you as diver, tender and safety diver. You will learn other considerations that will even enhance your open water cold dives.

Depending on logistics and how your class is equipped it can be a lot of hard work for very little diving. Consider it as a training class that is the gateway to future worthwhile dives.

Pete

Seek out someone you trust, like and that you can speak openly and honestly with, without them getting mad at you.​

You give THAT advice but then took your husband? :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I briefly considered taking the desolate drive up to Iowa this winter but just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.​

... hummm... other things I need to bring:

extra socks
extra warm clothes
extra pair of gloves
clean underwear (in case I have to go to the hospital... I'd hate to embarrase mom...)
thermos full of hot *ANYTHING*
warm boots
something warm to put over my drysuit when its my turn to tend line
dry bag to put it all in

sheesh... BIGGER TRAILER...

For those who are interested in ice diving... If you are familiar with cold water diving at all, then you already know the basics to take along on an ice dive (jacket, gloves, HAT, etc. etc. etc) along with something warm to drink, a towel... If you aren't familiar with cold water diving, it's just common sense when it comes to what you should take along for comfort (you'll be wet and cold).

As far as gear, the biggest issue is to make sure that your gear is compatible with the enviornment that you'll be diving in. A free-flowing regulator in an overhead environment can be rather spooky (I've seen some of the best divers come through the hole with a look of panic). Pay special attention to putting your equipment on, not breathing into your reg until you're under water, stay close to the hole until you're comfortable... Class will teach you all of this....

On the lighter side... Just a few pointers from an "experienced" ice diver... 1. Make sure you're boots (snow boots) are higher than your ankles... 2. The ice-cream headache WILL go away.
3. Don't ever wear a mask with a purge (ice cold water shooting up your nose because the purge froze open will wake you up VERY quickly!) 4. When ascending to check out the underside of the ice and all of it's beauty, put your arm above your head. 5. People in the water CAN tell where you're peeing.... (Nothin like a face looking back up at you!)

Hope you all have a GREAT time! It's an awesome experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom