Gloves for the Classic Viking ring system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Howdy folks,

This questions is specific to the Classic Viking ring system that requires gloves to be pulled over the ring. The system is old and proven but not as fancy as the modern glove solutions. I know a few folks who swear by this approach, but it seems like gloves are not easy to find. I thought I could get any gloves that come without a liner - so latex/rubber on the inside.

@Marie13 - I am tagging you on this thread, as you've sold the system I am after. What's your take? The glove system will be on my cold water suit to be used in Great Lakes and ice diving.

Thank you!

I use lineman voltage glove liners. If you know a lineman. Ask them to grab you an expried pair. They are very expensive new but they are soft and heavy duty.

I use lineman voltage glove liners. If you know a lineman. Ask them to grab you an expried pair. They are very expensive new but they are soft and heavy duty.

Oi... something like this for more than $100?

1703177675036.png

@Tracy, how do you size them for GL diving? I assume the following setup:

- Classic Viking ring system
- A glove liner
- Those lineman gloves

Pull the gloves over the rings and that's that. Right? Do you recommend using additional rings for security?

Howdy folks,

This questions is specific to the Classic Viking ring system that requires gloves to be pulled over the ring. The system is old and proven but not as fancy as the modern glove solutions. I know a few folks who swear by this approach, but it seems like gloves are not easy to find. I thought I could get any gloves that come without a liner - so latex/rubber on the inside.

@Marie13 - I am tagging you on this thread, as you've sold the system I am after. What's your take? The glove system will be on my cold water suit to be used in Great Lakes and ice diving.

Thank you!
I know a number of people who use it and love it for Midwestern cold water diving. I only got rid of it as all the gloves I could find that worked were way too long for my short fingers and kept getting caught in the gates of bolt snaps. That’s a PITA when you dive SM. I also hated not being able to get the second glove on by myself. I use Kubi system now and I have none of the issues.

I never used anything additional, such as an O ring, to hold them on. Didn’t need to.

@Tracy, how do you size them for GL diving? I assume the following setup:

- Classic Viking ring system
- A glove liner
- Those lineman gloves

Pull the gloves over the rings and that's that. Right? Do you recommend using additional rings for security?
Honestly, I have big hands and just used whatever I could get for free. If you have smaller hands, then you might need to be choosy.
Just pull them over and that is it. I never used anything additional.
I don't use them anymore as it is a pain not being able to glove yourself but I do keep a pair on the boat for when somebody has a glove failure. They will pull over any ring system or zip ring and they don't have to miss their dive.

It is interesting that two of you mentioned not being able to put the second glove on yourself... The person who swears by these does that all the time. I wonder if there is any trick. I am trying to decide between these and Rolock90 for my SF Tech.

It is interesting that two of you mentioned not being able to put the second glove on yourself... The person who swears by these does that all the time. I wonder if there is any trick. I am trying to decide between these and Rolock90 for my SF Tech.
The people I know who use these can get their second glove on. It never worked for me. I love Kubi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom