Gloves for the Classic Viking ring system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is interesting that two of you mentioned not being able to put the second glove on yourself... The person who swears by these does that all the time. I wonder if there is any trick. I am trying to decide between these and Rolock90 for my SF Tech.
It can be done, it is just a pain in the butt. Locking ring systems are much easier. These were an answer that worked back when there wasn't anything else available. They still work, but there are better ways.

I’ve been using the Viking rings for over 25 years. Putting on the second glove can be a bit of a pain, but definitely doable.
I mostly dive solo and have never missed a dive because I couldn’t get the second glove on.
For years I used black gloves that were orange inside but have not been able to find them for sometime.

Jill Heinerth shows trick to glove oneself:

For my Viking rings I used heavy-duty rubber gloves for dishwashing and glove liners that I bought at Harbor Freight.

It is interesting that two of you mentioned not being able to put the second glove on yourself... The person who swears by these does that all the time. I wonder if there is any trick. I am trying to decide between these and Rolock90 for my SF Tech.
I have Rolocks and they are excellent. Being able to use the more durable nitrile dipped gloves is excellent and they are pretty easy to setup.

Howdy folks,

This questions is specific to the Classic Viking ring system that requires gloves to be pulled over the ring. The system is old and proven but not as fancy as the modern glove solutions. I know a few folks who swear by this approach, but it seems like gloves are not easy to find. I thought I could get any gloves that come without a liner - so latex/rubber on the inside.

@Marie13 - I am tagging you on this thread, as you've sold the system I am after. What's your take? The glove system will be on my cold water suit to be used in Great Lakes and ice diving.

Thank you!
these also come in a short version. I seen somewhere wher Jill Heinerth 3d printed a ring to help slide the gloves on.
around the 3.30 mark maybe just after.

Based on what I read, it sounds like I should reconsider Rolock 90. I just looked up and DGX sells everything I need, which tells me I wont have issues with finding replacement parts.

Thank ya'll!

I know this thread is sort of old, but I've been diving the classic viking pullover rings for like 20 years. I use cheap outer gloves (currently these: Marigold latex gloves | Seattle Marine) ) and a fleece liner under 'em.

The inside is textured so I just turn 'em inside out and wear them that way. They are robust enough for me, super cheap, and leave me with good dexterity.

I'm diving in 8c/47f waters and I'm old and my hands are workable for the 60-90 minutes I tend to be under.

Yeah, getting the second glove on is a little bit of a pain, but takes me about 5 seconds. Pull a section of the glove over the ring, and trap it against your chest while you stretch the remainder of the cuff over the ring.

I like that while I'm traveling I can literally get some dish gloves if something goes wrong, and the system is so simple.

Never used anything other than the glove cuff compression to keep 'em on, and have never had a flood, and that includes high current, jumping off boats and piers, and all sort of shenanigans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom