Ice Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As the colder weather approaches I have a question for the ice divers among us. I'm interested in taking my ice diving cert at some point this winter and I'm curious to your opinion on the gear required for this variant of diving

What is the minimum list of gear you'd take when ice diving? What redundant systems would you have in place?

Thanks!

Before I would go ice diving I'd just hit myself in the head with a hammer a few time. Same outcome and lots less expensive.

Before I would go ice diving I'd just hit myself in the head with a hammer a few time. Same outcome and lots less expensive.

:rofl3::rofl3: That's funny.:rofl3::rofl3:

If you get set up properly you will be as warm, or warmer than diving the tropics. One problem is over dressing and depending on your activity, overheating.

Go take a class and learn what will work for YOU! What works for me or many others will not necessarily work for you.

Gary D.

I've also wanted to take an ice diving course. If for no other reason than to say "I've been there, done that". I don't particularly like the cold water, but I do dive year round here in KY, to stay in practice. The problem with ice diving here, is that it's only once every 10- 15 yrs that it get cold enough for the waters to freeze solid enough to allow people to go out on the ice.

Much will depend on what your instructor requires for the class. The standard PADI outline doesn't require the use of redundant air sources (other than buddy) or special equipment. You will use a harness under your BCD with a line tethered to you from the surface.

In my opinion, a good ice course (one that I teach), will cover gas management, buddy communication, buddy awareness, and line awareness. I also strongly recommend students use doubles (being proficient in them before taking the class). The standard outlines will cover things like determine safe ice conditions, how to cut a hole, communication with surface, staying warm, etc.

Certainly talk to your potential instructor before signing up for the class. Ask what will be covered for the course. I've seen some very questionable ice courses.

Most of all, have fun!!!

I took my ice diving course a couple of years ago and with any luck I will get my husband to go with me again this year. You will definitely need a diving buddy, that would be my first piece of "gear". Seek out someone you trust, like and that you can speak openly and honestly with, without them getting mad at you. Getting geared up, getting in and out of the water is 10 times more challenging than the actual diving.
Here is my partial gear list to get started:

1) Drysuit- I used neoprene, a Bare CD4. You should be proficient with the use of a drysuit, and be prepared for frozen valves,
2) Regulator- properly maintenanced for ice diving. Mine did not freeze but i saw plenty that did. I recommend Sherwood or Atomic. I have an Atomic B2 and after sealing it for ice diving, it worked great.
3) Undergarments- polyproperlene ( spelling?) underwear, it wicks and keeps you warm all at the same time.
4) Heating packs I put heating packs in my drysuit on my feet out the outside of my thick wool socks but in the drysuit bootie itself. I also had a great Uzzi Dive parka that i stuck the heating packs in.
5) Henderson ice cap, worth it's weight in gold!
6) Topped ice cap with a dry hood.
7) 7mm Bare gloves. I also have dry gloves but found my 7mm kept me warmer.
8) Fleece undergarments as thin and warm as I could get them. I shopped REI for mine.

Trust me... go with people you like. It is a challenging expedition and it can make tempers short. We had a great team when i went and my instructor was experienced, calm, and well prepared. That made us all prepared for the coldest temps Iowans had seen in some years. We went to Iowa to do our course and it was 37 degrees in the water, 19 degrees in the hut ( with a heater!) and -3 degrees outside with a -27 degree windchill. :shocked2:

Good luck, that's all I can think of right now. I have the card but I need more dives to be a true Ice Diver. I did go ahead and get the Texas License Plate for my truck though that says "ICEDVR". Hee hee.....

The one thing that i see missing so far.....a chainsaw or other form of making a hole.

But on a serious note...all good suggestions. You want to make sure that your equipment is rated for cold water diving and that you have the protection to stay warm. I have had frostbite (not from diving)...and it is not fun. Just remember stay safe and have fun.

When I did my Ice Diver course, I asked the instructor if I should carry my pony bottle. He stated that there was no need for it as we would never be more than 100' from the hole & we could breath from a free-flowing regulator for that distance, if needed. A different instuctor, from a different shop, recommeded a pony system. But he also said that there was no need to use one if I didn't already have it.
As others have stated. I would check with the instructor that is conducting the class to see what they recommend. Every dive has different conditions, so equipment requirements do change.

Hey ACR. The quarry that we do our ice class in, is only about 15 feet deep, so I personally only use my double 45's or a single and a pony. If you are interested in doing an ice dive with us, we do one ever 2nd weekend in Feb. at this site. Last time we had about 14 inches of ice.

I have always wanted to try ice diving. Not much of it in this part of the world (obviously), but I don't get the sense that there is a real "tourist" market for ice diving.

When I tried to look into travelling somewhere to do it, the only place I could find that really marketed to tourists was a British outfit that took their divers to Siberia!

Where are the real ice diving meccas in North America? Are there any?

Back
Top Bottom