Hydration and hydrating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wanted to start this thread due to there being a unwritten rule to diving and Hydrating/dehydrating. If you have ever been De-hydrated, would like to hear A) what caused it, B) what you did to over come, C) what lessons you learned, D) what is the further prevention.

1) how much liquid (insert beverage) do "you/diver" consume before a dive ?
2) how much liquid (insert beverage) do "you/diver: consume after a dive ?
3) Do you take hydration with you on a dive? Capri sun, Camel Bak, hydration bag, "FLEET BAG"

Looking forward to seeing this one grow

V/R
Steve

I don't go drown myself but I make sure I hydrate well, probably better than I find the time to normally do.

To me that means 1/2 liter as I arrive at the site and set-up. I may have something as I tear down or drive away, sometimes initially more to rinse the mouth of the salty feel.. If it's a multi dive outing then I'll have 1/2 liter between dives.

I think you can get a good understanding by listening to your body. If you end an hour dive and drive away without ever needing to urinate then odds are you're running on empty. If you go to eat thereafter and consume mass quantities of beverage without needing the restroom then you were probably wanting for fluids.

Pre-dive its water, between dives it may be water or a soft drink depending on if it's with a sandwich. Afterwards water, soft drink at a restaurant.

We do have a local dive to an island that is better than an hour each way. We will pack a 1/2 liter bottle of water that gets consumed on the surface while there.

Pete

I'm puzzled. I see two other factors in your DCS experience: the ASD, which can be a hit or miss thing, and exercise. As Dr. Decompression in our forum what he thinks about the effects of exercise on DCS. (Or just do a search of past threads on the topic.)

Good point John, I considered the exercise but I mountain bike swim and lift weights so a 3 mile walk seems pretty mild. Expecially with an hour long dinner dividing them up.
I don't believe your fitness level has anything to do with the relationship between DCS and exercise. It theoretically has to do with the exercise-induced micronuclei seeds in the tissues, which form whether you are fit or not. There is not a lot of really good science behind it, although some studies do show a correlation, depending in part upon when the exercise was done. Michael Powell (Dr. Decompression on ScubaBoard) admits the lack of clear evidence that but still seems convinced.

Although you will hear many people say that poor hydration is a key (or even THE key) factor in decompression sickness, there is no good research to support that. Being hydrated is important, but not to the point that you have to be drowning yourself in liquids throughout a dive day.

I will also head off another concept I expect to be raised: although caffeine does have a diuretic effect, it is not a strong one. In a typical cup of coffee, you will take in more water than you will lose through the effect of the caffeine.

Boulderjohn, would this put you for or against a 5 hour energy shot, a ,monster, or redbull?
along with the above, could you give an input on EXCEDRIN Maigrane (when it returns to the shelf)

---------- Post Merged at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:35 AM ----------

I actually had water CAUSE kidney stones. Weird I know. When I was in Iraq I would drink over a case of water a day. I had bad kidney stone problems. The doctors think it was caused by the high mineral content in the water. I drink about 100oz of water a day now like you. No problems since I left Iraq.

thanx for serving bro

---------- Post Merged at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:35 AM ----------

My input,
I was deployed to south america in 98, and use to drink mountain dew like it was going out of style, along with the rum presence down there. got a dive in and, headaches, stiff joints, numb fingers, irritated. we had a dive medic with us, and he gave me the once over and said, your severely dehydrated. So I asked the special warfare guys how the hydrate, specially for long periods in the water. the data was astonishing. some actually admitted to intentionally dehydrating so they don't pee as much, but for the most. "THE RULE" is HYPER-HYDRATE" if your not peeing every 15 min, your not "WET ENOUGH"...also when you wake, drink (2) glasses the hydrate, and gulp one to flush.

I'm not big on high dose caffeine preparations of any kind, but not because of hydration issues. Rather, it's because I've seen too many patients in the ER with anxiety issues or even cardiac dysrhythmias from such things. I don't think either cardiac problems or anxiety symptoms are very good underwater.

Although you will hear many people say that poor hydration is a key (or even THE key) factor in decompression sickness, there is no good research to support that. Being hydrated is important, but not to the point that you have to be drowning yourself in liquids throughout a dive day.

It's a fact that a diver is breathing dry and cold air during the whole dive. Compared to normal on the surface breathing, air in the surface has an amount of humidity many times greater that the air in the tank. So, better to be hydrated before the dive and drink water or liquids after the dive to add the amount of water that you lost during the dive.

I'm not big on high dose caffeine preparations of any kind, but not because of hydration issues. Rather, it's because I've seen too many patients in the ER with anxiety issues or even cardiac dysrhythmias from such things. I don't think either cardiac problems or anxiety symptoms are very good underwater.
I'm not a physician, but everything I have read with respect to the so called "energy" drinks (with the exception of marketing of course) would support your comments.

Grandizer, thanks.

Now on topic. I always wonder when folks say they feel better after a dive when they are hydrated, even decompression dives. Of course you do. Diving is work. Diving burns calories and water. It's like me saying I always feel better after a five mile run when I am good and hydrated compared to when I not hydrated. It simply makes sense. Proper hydration in any activity is a good thing. Does it help curb decompression sickness? Debatable. Does it make you feel better after a dive? It should. Some touched on it already, so I will not add much except agreeing with their statements that you can not get hydrated in the hour before you dive by slamming water when you are already dehydrated. It takes a while. When I going to run over four miles I make sure I am hydrated well the day before. If it is a 8-10 miler I make sure I have hydrated all week. Half marathon training, it is a constant everyday all day hydration fear for weeks. Marathon, yeah screw that I am not that crazy.

I think caffeine effects SAC rate. My buddy is a coffee fiend, and since limiting coffee intake on dive days, his sac has dramatically reduced.

Boulderjohn, would this put you for or against a 5 hour energy shot, a ,monster, or redbull?
along with the above, could you give an input on EXCEDRIN Maigrane (when it returns to the shelf)

On your first question, I agree with TSandM. I don't touch those things any time.

As for the Excedrin question, there was an old belief that aspirin (a key ingredient in Excedrin) was useful in preventing DCS, but what little research has been done on that does not support it. Another ingredient in Excedrin is caffeine, and while I said that the amount of caffeine in a standard cup of coffee is not dehydrating, I suspect taking caffeine by itself will have a little negative effect, and I don't know of any benefit to taking caffeine before a dive. The third ingredient is essentially Tylenol, and I have never heard anyone make any case for that being a benefit before a dive, unless you have a headache.

So what would be the point in taking Excedrin before a dive?

Another point to consider.
By the time you feel thirsty you can be dehydrated already. 2% dehydration can cause a 25% reduction in your mental faculties.
I would consider diving an activity where you need your wits about you, so maintaining good levels of hydration is only prudent.
Personally I drink around 5l a day in summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom