Hydration: decompression efficacy vs IPE/IPO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Following from another thread; what is the current thinking regarding correct hydration and possible overhydration (e.g. drinking water before diving) with links to Immersion Pulmonary Oedema/Edema (IPO / IPE)?

My understanding was that it is bad to be dehydrated prior to decompression diving -- thickens the blood? -- thus drinking water prior to a dive is good especially if it's hot outside.

The question is at what point does this increase the risk of IPO/IPE? How much water to drink is too much?

Pretty sure dehydration has been debunked in terms of its importance as a precursor to a dcs event Wibs.

So long as you are normally hydrated (what ever that is) you should be gravy., it's just about balance.

Not good to be dehyrdrated, but that does not mean you drink and drink and drink water. A couple of sips before a dive is normally enough. Yes, over hydration is now believed to be a possible precursor to IPE.

Dumb question…. What is over hydration and what is under hydration?

Obviously we’re not talking about a desert walk without water. However being on a boat in the summer sunshine means you perspire and the distraction can mean you don’t drink enough.

Am interested in the medical view on this and the affect upon decompression effectiveness and bringing on an IPO/IPE

Dumb question…. What is over hydration and what is under hydration?

Obviously we’re not talking about a desert walk without water. However being on a boat in the summer sunshine means you perspire and the distraction can mean you don’t drink enough.

Judge your hydration level by the colour of your pee.

Have a look at the chart at the bottom of this link Hydrate

I agree with AJ and I'd add to avoid excess alcohol. I spent several hours discussing DCS with a chamber operator on Roatan and the message I took out of the discussions was it is all very variable. They had just treated a woman who was treated for a moderate DCS event who had dove a very conservative dive. Completely within the parameters of her computer. I have no knowledge of the software on her computer.

But she ended up needing immediate treatment and her holiday was over. The only contributing event that the treating physician thought was relevant to her getting bent was her drinking alcohol the night before. Which he thought brought on dehydration the next day. Ever since then I have always added five or ten minutes at 15' or so after every dive. The discussions have never reduced my moderate indulgences of spirits post diving. But thats another issue. IMO the concept of dive operators keeping plenty of juice, water, etc. available post-dive is well-founded. Hydration is important.

Every person's physiology is different just as everyone has different air/gas consumption rates. Your computer offers up an opinion on what's safe, so treat it as such.

Probably hard to be overhydrated with immersion diuresis factored in...?

Probably hard to be overhydrated with immersion diuresis factored in...?

Except that supposedly, "excess water" gets pushed into the lungs instead of kidneys, and that's how you get IPE instead of stinky wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom