Hydration and hydrating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been bent. My first 100+ dives I made up to 5 dives a day on liveaboards and at Roatan for 6 days in a row. No problem. At Coz I did 2 dives day one, 2 dives day 2, 3 dives day 3 and was bent. Dive profiles showed no problems. I sent them in to Duke to add to their data base. The one difference was that on Caz I walked in to town (in the August heat) and back. Near 6 miles total and did my usual hydration routine. Water before and after each dive and a reasonable amount otherwise. Upon returning I was checked for a PFO (due to the unprovoked nature of the DCS) and was found to have an ASD (same thing really, just different location).

Although there is no clinical evidence to suggest hydration is a major contributor to DCS my life experience says otherwise. I'm now in the drink a bunch crowd. I only wear a wet suit shirt so I can pee all I want :D

I've been bent. My first 100+ dives I made up to 5 dives a day on liveaboards and at Roatan for 6 days in a row. No problem. At Coz I did 2 dives day one, 2 dives day 2, 3 dives day 3 and was bent. Dive profiles showed no problems. I sent them in to Duke to add to their data base. The one difference was that on Caz I walked in to town (in the August heat) and back. Near 6 miles total and did my usual hydration routine. Water before and after each dive and a reasonable amount otherwise. Upon returning I was checked for a PFO (due to the unprovoked nature of the DCS) and was found to have an ASD (same thing really, just different location).

Although there is no clinical evidence to suggest hydration is a major contributor to DCS my life experience says otherwise. I'm now in the drink a bunch crowd. I only wear a wet suit shirt so I can pee all I want :D

I'm puzzled. I see two other factors in your DCS experience: the ASD, which can be a hit or miss thing, and exercise. As Dr. Decompression in our forum what he thinks about the effects of exercise on DCS. (Or just do a search of past threads on the topic.)

How much I drink and what I drink is highly dependant on where I dive. If its 40 celcius in the shade I drink more than if its 15 celcius.
I dont normally have to think about my hydration, but I and everyone else HAS been dehydrated - regularly.
Dehydration has degrees, just like anything else. When you wake up its highly likely that you pee yellow, which is because you are (slightly) dehydrated..

Peeing silver is gold :wink:

As most people are away, it is said that dehydration can help cause DCS, and even though there is no strong empirical evidence to support this, why would you test it? Better be safe than sorry
Agree completely. Why poke it with a stick?

One message that came out of my first OW class and AOW class in the early '70's as well as my AOW class I took as a refresher in the '90's was "hydrate, hydrate, hydrate." if it ain't broke, I won't try to fix it until it is. Water is good by all today's health advise.

The rule of thumb for hydration: Take your body weight in pounds. Divide that number in half. Drink that number of ounces each day. If you pee clear, you are clear to dive.

Sounds about right, Jill. I may be a slightly special case since I have produced kidney stones since my early 20s. My nephrologist has me drink three litres -- about 100 fluid ounces -- of water every day in addition to any other fluids. This is more than your rule of thumb but I believe that would be a good start for most folks.

Sounds about right, Jill. I may be a slightly special case since I have produced kidney stones since my early 20s. My nephrologist has me drink three litres -- about 100 fluid ounces -- of water every day in addition to any other fluids. This is more than your rule of thumb but I believe that would be a good start for most folks.

I actually had water CAUSE kidney stones. Weird I know. When I was in Iraq I would drink over a case of water a day. I had bad kidney stone problems. The doctors think it was caused by the high mineral content in the water. I drink about 100oz of water a day now like you. No problems since I left Iraq.

I actually had water CAUSE kidney stones. Weird I know. When I was in Iraq I would drink over a case of water a day. I had bad kidney stone problems. The doctors think it was caused by the high mineral content in the water. I drink about 100oz of water a day now like you. No problems since I left Iraq.
Some of the bottled water you get around the world have insane ammounts of minerals in them.
My team of 8 people killed atleast a coffee machine a month because it got clogged up by it..

On the other hand you could focus on depth time and mix will certainly work rather than something which almost certainly will not. Which is not to say drinking is a problem in general.

Back
Top Bottom