Hydration and hydrating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings and I have been dehydrated before and it is not very nice.
I usually get a headache that makes you feel really bad!
This is at work when it is really hot, I used to work in a factory that would get to 120º-130º for 9-10 hrs will make you feel very sick.

When I dive I alway carry a minimum of a gallon of water with a few extra bottles in my dive bag or tub.
I drink large amounts of water off the boat or dive site to keep the hydration going.
When I am doing deep or planned decompression dives this is my practice.

I drink coffee, sometimes a large amount but always water as well so it has never dehydrated me yet.
When I have been diving we carried some capri suns for fun but have not did any planned dives beyond 2hrs yet so no required hydration in water as of yet.
If I was planning to be doing longer dives I would carry a bottle or two of water in my pockets no worries.

Safe diving.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Ive always heard if your dehydrated, your blood is thicker which inturn could delay offgassing possibly. I drink alot of water anyway but not bottled, I filter my own. I also eat alot of fruit , apples, kiwi and cherries every morning along with a small handful of mixed nuts is my usual breakfast but never before 9:30 am. I wont take chances with diving thirsty and the dry air breathed probably excels the effect.

Like most the people posting here, I just always stay hydrated. My body tells me when it needs water. Check your pee. Hotter it is, more water I drink. I will always bring something to drink (750ml or 1L bottle) just because nitrox is dry and I hate cottonmouth.

The problem with just trusting your body is that many people are chronically dehydrated (so I am told) thus their body signals are all messed up anyway. Apart from the possible link to DCS, nobody argues that dehydration leads to cramps, tiredness, headaches, lethargy, reduced aerobic performance, reduced reaction times, and increases the workload on your heart.
Why would you risk all that?

Start hydrating the night before the dive, not an hour before. It takes a while for your body to properly re-hydrate itself, simply gulping lots of water just before the dive will just make you want to piss, and it will go straight through you.

if you're trying to hydrate the day of the dive, its a bit too late. Real hydration (more than just your blood, but hydration of your cells and intersticial spaces) requires more time (like multiple days to a week).

Fwiw, I notice a difference in how I feel after deco dives depending on how hydrated I am. Ymmv.

if you're trying to hydrate the day of the dive, its a bit too late. Real hydration (more than just your blood, but hydration of your cells and intersticial spaces) requires more time (like multiple days to a week).

Fwiw, I notice a difference in how I feel after deco dives depending on how hydrated I am. Ymmv.

+1. I've felt horrible after deco dives when I've been inadequately hydrated. Of course, it could be psychosomatic, but even if it's just to keep your mind happy, why not be hydrated when diving?

Diving I have been dehydrated significantly one time. Normally, we drink a 16oz water before each dive and some diet coke as desired. One day, we forgot the water. Dived anyway and probably would have been OK but we caught a rip current and ended up with a good 30 minutes swim back to shore on the last dive. Both myself and my older son were feeling like crp, almost like the onset of mild flue. My younger son was OK (we all dived together). Doing a skin pinch test it was pretty obvious we were dry. It required about 8 hours to feel normal. Anyway, once was enough to learn my lesson.

We bring water in a camel bak. My husband actually dives with it and I'll take sips off it during the dive as well. Really need to buy a she-p now that I'm using a drysuit!
during the surface interval, I like coconut water, kombucha, bottled water and slices of pinapple or mango. Orange/tangerine slices in season. Berries and other fruits,melon slices, too.
No real sweet drinks, coffee or highly caffeinated tea. The kombucha and coconut water I often cut with water 50/50.
I don't go crazy hydrating but we live in a dry climate and dry compressed air makes me that much drier and thirstier. I'm always drinking lots of water, anyway.

I'm puzzled. I see two other factors in your DCS experience: the ASD, which can be a hit or miss thing, and exercise. As Dr. Decompression in our forum what he thinks about the effects of exercise on DCS. (Or just do a search of past threads on the topic.)[/QUOT

Good point John, I considered the exercise but I mountain bike swim and lift weights so a 3 mile walk seems pretty mild. Expecially with an hour long dinner dividing them up. As to the ASD, yes that is certainly a variable. But I had the ASD during my VERY heavy dive schedule prior to the incident and - no problem. For myself I'm now a believer in the hydration factor. I could be mistaken certainly, but for me and my house we believe :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom