How to say "Octopus" in DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I haven't taken DIR-F, and I'm not necessarily "DIR", but I am interested in the concepts where they apply to me. One thing I'm unable to find online is what type of regulator to use as a secondary. Is it normal to just use a "typical" octo, or is the usual practice to buy a second copy of the primary regulator and just throw it on a short hose?

A (slightly) lower quality, non air balanced reg that is less likely to free flow uncontrollably. Many people I know do use the same reg for their backup as they do for their primary.

Being bungied close under the neck can protect it from flow or turbulence, making it less susceptible to free flow.

P.S. the DIR article link in my signature line contains two links with good equipment configuration. You might want to look at those for some more information.

What cave diver stated and:

Octo = Secondary second stage

Michael

Crap, all this time I've been calling it a backup reg. I hope nobody heard me.

Jeshh, you are way behind in times! Shall I redirect to the valve drills thread?

(She's right too. Back up reg = octo = secondary second stage.)

:)

Michael

I'm thinking "octopus" or "octo" implies a second stage (of conventional or unconventional design, normally on a 36-38" long hose) that is clipped off or secured (but not used during an incident free dive) to a BCD by a diver for use by that diver or another diver in a regulator failure/OOG situation.

In a "DIR" OOG situation, the OOG diver is handed the primary second stage (attached to a long, typically 7') hose that his/her buddy had been breathing just seconds before the incident. This ensures that the OOG diver receives a second stage in good working order AND the appropriate gas. The diver "donating" then switches to a back up second stage (second stage on a 22-24" hose, hanging from neck on a "necklace"/bungie).

I'm thinking "octopus" or "octo" implies a second stage (of conventional or unconventional design, normally on a 36-38" long hose) that is clipped off or secured (but not used during an incident free dive) to a BCD by a diver for use by that diver or another diver in a regulator failure/OOG situation.

In a "DIR" OOG situation, the OOG diver is handed the primary second stage (attached to a long, typically 7') hose that his/her buddy had been breathing just seconds before the incident. This ensures that the OOG diver receives a second stage in good working order AND the appropriate gas. The diver "donating" then switches to a back up second stage (second stage on a 22-24" hose, hanging from neck on a "necklace"/bungie).
I thought being OOG wasnt DIR?
Infact i thought it was woing it WRONG regardless of what agency or philosophy you subscribe to for SCUBA :popcorn:

Infact i thought it was woing it WRONG regardless of what agency or philosophy you subscribe to for SCUBA :popcorn:

I think you meant "doing" it WRONG. :wink:

And OOG doesn't necessarily mean failure to monitor air supply. It could occur due to a blown hose, o-ring, a roll off, damaged valve, reg, or any other situation which makes a gas supply unavailable.

It isn't ideal but it can happen - doesn't matter what agency you trained with or how much black gear you have... :)

Just wanted to add that you always donate the second stage that you are using (i. e. from your mouth). If you need to donate and you are breathing from a stage or a deco bottle, the second stage won't be on a long hose... You can donate and have the OOG diver switch to your long hose after the situation is under control if appropriate/needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom