Suggested rigging for dive flag float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@doctormike,

Nice video!

A more substantial float will give you more options. For example, an automobile inner tube can be rigged with a net or crate to hold things while you're below. And an inner tube or a torpedo float can serve as back-up surface flotation. I understand that some FL divers often prefer a torpedo float when diving deep, where the surface current might be running in a different direction than the current at depth (since a torpedo float has less drag).

rx7diver

Just a thought,

The main line from buoy could be secured to the bottom via reel or whatever when you find a location you like. If you want to wander around a bit, it would be very simple to attach a cavern reel (200'-300') to the buoy line / anchor point and hand hold that cavern reel while exploring within legal distance from dive flag. Use cavern reel to lead you back to the main line. This is the method I'm planning to use out here in the PNW doing some exploratory, solo dives.

Ziptie cable ties can be used as modular breakaways, just add as many zipties as it takes to provide the breaking strength you want. Pretty cheap to test

More float options, just because. The best one I've seen strapped weights and a flag to the hard plastic "lifeguard float" (first item)
Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 13.55.40.png

Just a thought,

The main line from buoy could be secured to the bottom via reel or whatever when you find a location you like. If you want to wander around a bit, it would be very simple to attach a cavern reel (200'-300') to the buoy line / anchor point and hand hold that cavern reel while exploring within legal distance from dive flag. Use cavern reel to lead you back to the main line. This is the method I'm planning to use out here in the PNW doing some exploratory, solo dives.
Here in MO/AR, if I am lazy and don't want to deal with a dive float, I will attach my back-up cave reel (i.e., my cavern reel) to my inflated Carter Lift Bag Diver's Float and pull it (the CLB) around as if it were a "real" diver's float. (It has a sleeve around the top that has a diver down flag stenciled on it. My back-up cave reel carries wreck line.)

From time to time, I will pause and do a "line wrap" around something (to "fix" the floating CLB in place), and then reel out as I go exploring not too far away from the floating CLB. Then I reel back in as I return to the line wrap, unwrap, and continue diving, continuing to pull the CLB.

Easy-peasy--except, I really don't know if I am violating any MO or AR dive flag rules when I do this. Caveat emptor!

rx7diver

Just a thought,

I don't get it. Maybe I don't understand the dive site. Why is having two reels better than one? If you are going to hold a reel, why not hold the one attached to the float?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom