Suggested rigging for dive flag float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a boat snags your float/float line there is a 99% chance that it will be the lower unit/outdrive/props that sang it and it wont last long. The line will immediately wrap around the props and the props will sever the line.

I would never put a break-a-way "part" on my float line.

This video will give you a pretty good idea of what the bottom looks like:
That video is perfect to show what all your conditions are like. You've got a great flag setup for that spot !!

I use a reel attached to the float with a break away but it's attached to me with a bungee cord loop around my forearm. The break away is good but what if the line gets snagged below it? The bungee loop is snug but still has lot;s of stretch to slip over my hand if need be. I usually slide the reel up on my arm a ways to get it out of the way.

The breakaway is just for the risk of the float getting snagged by a powerboat moving fast on the surface. If it got snagged on something below the surface (like a dock or another diver), I don't need a breakaway for that, right? Not sure I understand the question.

If a boat snags your float/float line there is a 99% chance that it will be the lower unit/outdrive/props that sang it and it wont last long. The line will immediately wrap around the props and the props will sever the line.

If the line gets wound around a prop shaft, I don't think that I would be comfortable assuming that there is a 99% chance that the line would be cut. Having seen a lot of fouled props, the blades don't usually just cut the lines free...

I would never put a break-a-way "part" on my float line.

Then you should never do it!

If the line gets wound around a prop shaft, I don't think that I would be comfortable assuming that there is a 99% chance that the line would be cut. Having seen a lot of fouled props, the blades don't usually just cut the lines free...

I've had my float line run over by a boat, slight tug, snap, float gone. I've also witnessed a drift fishing boat run over a diver and his float, cut the float line and destroyed the float.

Only time I've had my float line wrap and not break is when the boat just slowly drifts over the line and the engines are put in gear, they will wrap but not break the line. But once the boat powers up, thin float line is gone.

Back
Top Bottom