How to say "Octopus" in DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a heads up to the board in general. Fred Calhoun has been diving and teaching and preaching here in New England since the dawn of time. For at least the past 15 years he has been sending out (snail mail) "newsletters" to all the LDSs and industry pros whose addresses he can get telling us what we are all doing wrong : weight integrated BCs, back inflate BCs, split fins etc. Diving was perfect 40 years ago and anything that has changed since then is for the worse.

Depending on my mood whenever I get an envelope with his return address I will either toss it unopened or read it for the "train wreck" entertainment value. Apparently Fred has just discovered "the internets" and is now using it to forward his mission that everyone is entitled to Freds opinion.

Do not argue with him information flows only one way with Fred he will not change his mind.

Oh and by the way Fred save a tree and stop sending me your newsletter.

Fred Calhoun has been diving and teaching and preaching here in New England since the dawn of time. For at least the past 15 years he has been sending out (snail mail) "newsletters" to all the LDSs and industry pros whose addresses he can get telling us what we are all doing wrong : weight integrated BCs, back inflate BCs, split fins etc. Diving was perfect 40 years ago and anything that has changed since then is for the worse.

Cool....another true dive god. Never can have enough of them.

OMG, Fred Effing Calhoun. Haven't seen him since the Compuserve scuba forum of about 12 or 13 years ago. And now he's here. This place just got waaaay more fun.

Hey everyone, for fun ask what he thinks of MOF.

Last edited:
Haha, well thanks to all of you who gave relevant information, I got the answer I was looking for and even learned a little more. Now I'm just going to sit back and take on that 'spectator' role that was mentioned..

Just a heads up to the board in general. Fred Calhoun has been diving and teaching and preaching here in New England since the dawn of time. For at least the past 15 years he has been sending out (snail mail) "newsletters" to all the LDSs and industry pros whose addresses he can get telling us what we are all doing wrong : weight integrated BCs, back inflate BCs, split fins etc. Diving was perfect 40 years ago and anything that has changed since then is for the worse.

Depending on my mood whenever I get an envelope with his return address I will either toss it unopened or read it for the "train wreck" entertainment value. Apparently Fred has just discovered "the internets" and is now using it to forward his mission that everyone is entitled to Freds opinion.

Do not argue with him information flows only one way with Fred he will not change his mind.

Oh and by the way Fred save a tree and stop sending me your newsletter.

OMG! I just read his other 4 posts! I hope his newsletter isn't as disjointed and misspelled as his posts! This guy seems like a real character. After reading his profile, someone should really tell him that there are other tanks besides "steel 70's"

This should be fun... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Safe Diving

Back on topic, I have seen some folks using lower quality "detuned" regs as backups, and I have seen some folks with higher quality, adjustable regs as backups. I've never seen anyone with an all-yellow, button, or left handed octo around their neck.

Hopefully you won't see anyone with a yellow backup either. Ideally the backup should be as invisible as possible because the last thing you want is an OOG diver trying to grab it.

Personally, I use identical ATX50's for primary and backup - I just have the primary adjusted for easy breathing and the backup adjusted for much harder breathing so that it won't freeflow. I can always flip the venturi assist as well when the primary is clipped off if it starts to freeflow.

My wife has a yellow cover on her backup. Everybody we dive with knows enough not to grab it, and anyone not diving with us wouldn't be able to tell it's yellow unless they're swimming below us looking up. I didn't purposely go for the yellow, that's just how it worked out. If her fundies instructor didn't make a big deal out of it, I'm not going to worry about it.

Tom

How do I say "octopus"? Same way I always did: palm down with fingers spread.

One of my cave buddies is so terrified of octopuses that he drops his stage bottle whenever I spot one.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom