How much that the LDS tells me can I believe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rafer, you are correct that buying gear should be done with deliberation but it doesn't make sense to rent if you dive frequently. You'll pay more in rent than it would cost to buy new plus rental gear is not usually in the best of shape. If you can "borrow", great. But that gets old on your buddies no matter how much they say they don't mind.

And fair warning, some of us are smitten by the gear bug and find ourselves buying new gear all the time no matter how carefully we buy. Gear changes, diving interests change, and it's nice to have backups. Your buddy is not bad off for having two regs.

I agree that you should have your own gear. Ill agree that renting can/does add up but if will help give you an idea of what you like and dont like in certain pieces of gear. For instance, the borrowed regs Im using...I would never purchase the same set. They dont breath particularly well at deeper depths. They make an annoying squeek noise at depth. I just dont care for them. Fortunatly I have been blessed with friends that will let me try different gear at times so I can determine what I want in my setup and not what a LDS says I need.

We have all been in the LDS that sells this brand and that brand. And according to them, that is the best stuff on the market and it will do everything except file your taxes for you. Then when you go to the next LDS its the same story just different brand.

My point about being patient when it comes to purchasing gear is to buy whats best for you and your wallet. Dont always go on what LDS is trying to pressure you in to purchasing.

On that note, I do plan on purchasing a my own regs and computer within the next 2 months. :)

It is true that a LDS charges more. I think more are honest and thay care about there traid. Most love diving and all that thay do to make it hapen. Thay teach, thay fex, Tray sale and much more. Talk to you treat you like people that you are.
I by thangs off line but don't have a USB port that fills tanks yat. And if i have a computer that needs fixen I have to sent back. use both

Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com

As a college student with no money, I am very up front about saying "I can't afford that, I won't buy it." And if a shop won't lower their prices, I go find a place that can sell it to me for what I can afford to payfor it.

total agreement...leisure pro is NOT an online dealer...they are a local (for NYC) dive shop that just happens to have a robust internet component to their retail.

All products from LeisurePro are warrantied and fully legitimate...don't buy into internet retail? Then go to NYC and check out LP's killer showroom and talk with their people...it's a local diveshop, just one with a great website!

:wink:

personally, i buy the generally more expensive gear online(reg, BC, octo,etc.) but go to my LDS for the more fit oriented items (mask, fins, boots, wetsuits), and that works for me, but find what works for you!

As has been said already... The LDS is a business, with a very, very limited sales base. They absolutely depend on you to purchase from them. Some owners understand that they can't be pushy to get your business. Those are the ones you want to keep as a 'friend'. Buy what you can from them. In the long run, you'll wind up becoming a bigger part of thier community. There are others however, that will do anything to make a sale. Lie, beg, conjole, or threaten. Anyway possible to ensure that their trade remains intact. They prey on the new divers fresh in a dive course. These are the ones you want to stay the heck away from.

There are advantages to buying certain things from your LDS, over an online store. There are definately cost savings though buying online for certain items.

Suits, BCDs, Regulators. More often than not, 'most' LDSs will have suits and BCDs available at internet prices. If not, there usually isn't much of a difference between them and an online store. There are 3 reasons why you 'should' buy your suit & BCD at an LDS. 1. They'll fit it for you. Don't be a prick and have the LDS fit a suit for you and then turn around and buy it online for $20 cheaper. 2. You'll save on shipping costs. 3. If there is ever a problem with it, a responsible LDS will bend over backwards to fix, repair, or replace it for you, promptly.

Regulators & Octos. Almost all resellers sell Regs at the Minimum Advertised Pricing, including online stores. If an online store is selling a reg at substantially less than the MAP, then either its a demo unit, discontinued, or used. Either way, you wouldn't want it anyway, since it won't have a warrenty assosciated with it. The benefits to buying a Reg local, is that your LDS will know its history if you keep its upkeep regular. And, if you ever have problems with it later, they'll take care of you, usually.

Heavier items like weights & tanks are best bought locally as well.

There are a crapload of little things that may be in your best interest to buy online to save $$, like slates, lights, knives, mask & snorkel, fins, boots, gloves, etc. You'll find a better deal most of the time on those items.

Unfortunately, most dive classes require you to have boots, gloves, fins, and mask before the class and typically pressure you to buy on the spot when you sign up for the class. Thus your $175 PADI certificate winds up costing you around $600. You 'could' shave off a $150 or so off that cost. What'll likely happen though, is the instructor will frown upon you coming in with gear that he didn't sell you. Then you're left holding the bag trying to make up some kind of story about how you borrowed it from a friend or something.

Ackward....

At any rate... Shop around both your LDS and online. Just don't alienate yourself with your LDS. They will ultimately be your key to having fun in the hobby. If your LDS owner is a complete arse, find another one. If they're the only game in town... Sorry :(

I have not read this whole thread, which I'm sure quickly mutated into the 20,000,000,000th LDS vs online debate, but I can say with certainty to the OP that you cannot believe much of what your instructor/salesman is telling you. Based on what you wrote in your opening post, he acts like he trained you in order to sell you gear, and now he's using his authority as an instructor to push you into bad buying decisions that benefit him. Not only is he trying to scare you off of gear from anyone else, he's trying to sell you gear that is inappropriate for a beginning diver. A $1000 computer is a waste of money for a brand new diver, and a top-of-the-line aqualung is WAY more reg than you need.

Try to find a mentor in your area that does not want to sell you stuff. And, don't be afraid to stand up to the guy. Believe me, he needs you way more than you need him.

I too, have not read all the replies in this thread. But, has anyone mentioned trying the classified forum here on Scubaboard. Myself and few buddies have had great success and the items are usually close to new. Give it a try.

Cave Excursions East has an online store @ https://www.diveritedepot.com/store/

I've never been to a more helpful and reasonably priced LDS. Manager of their store remembered my name 2 weeks after my first visit and has gone out of his way to help me. Nitrox is $0.08/cuft and you don't pay for an entire tank if you have a half full tank already. Discounts given to regular customers to show appreciation. I send everyone I know there.

My Lds was very helpful. I did some research before hand but I will say they went out of there way for me. He packaged a deal for me on my inital gear, I paid half up front and payments on the rest. I was never pushed towards any brands, they gave me service info on all the products and let me decide what I wanted. They even told me what not to get right away. They could have made huge sales but instead told me to wait for a few pool sessions to see how I felt about some of the gear. Scuba is costly at first, but your gear will last a very long time if you maintain it properly. I know what I have spent as one diver, so I can imagine what two divers together will spend. Rental gear is lost money, If only for research purpose then not so bad. If you cant try another lds then try and bargain with them, but if you already have a bad feeling then I suggest going else where. If your feeling pressured walk away and think about it. Scuba is awesome and trust me worth every bit of your investment. I am sorry to hear your having a rough time. Online shopping is ok, just make sure anything you buy can be serviced locally and parts or acessories can be obtain easily. Make sure theres a manufactures warranty if possible. One more thing thats really important, If you buy cheaper gear you risk paying more down the road for repairs or upgrades and then you really need to remember, your trusting this gear with your life! YOU can't put a price on that.

Take your time and look around, like I said scuba is worth every cent.

Back
Top Bottom