How much dive gear do you take on vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From here I can drive to most ports between Orange, Tx and PC for a 2 day trip. A "dive trip" may be a week in the S FL area diving both coasts and middle keys. Hardware taken includes gear for my wife, and maybe my kids too.

"Local" diving is on oil rigs or wrecks from Grand Isle to Pensacola. # of tanks taken is dependent on boat payload capacity. A hunting rig trip may be 8 to 15 dives a day, but boat payload may be limited to 3 tanks. Dives are short but intense, with the target to be on board with 30-100 pounds of meat with less than 500 psi out of the tank so it can be used for several dives.

My "dive buggy" is a 1 ton Dodge 3500 Maxivan. I've had too many friends loose gear out of a pickup bed (normally at a lunch stop) to stack gear in something that can't easily be locked. Tossing gear out from under a "camper top" is more of pain in the back than it's worth. Having been badly bitten by air station operators/schedules conflicting with boat schedules before I try to avoid the necessity of "must have" tank refills during a trip. If planning a 2 or 3 tank afternoon dive followed by a morning dawn patrol 2 or 3 tank trip, then I'll bring 5 or 6 tanks/diver. BTW the tanks are mine. I don't run a retail dive store or training facility but I have spent 30years "collecting" tanks. When I get a chance to buy them at a good price, often at garage sales I will. Steels last almost forever if properly maintained. Regularly used Aluminum bottles seem to be a 10 or 15 year investment no matter how well maintained. Right now I'm up to about 30 servicable bottles, most being steel 72s.

Minimal air travel gear is what I took to Singapore a couple years ago. 1 minimal displacement mask, 1 BC, and a single reg with simply a single second stage and a SPG. My "exposure suit" was the pair of coveralls I worked in during the week. BC was an old SP jacket. I borrowed fins from the dive shop running the charter. I'd arranged to rent some very negative steel tanks so weights and a belt weren't needed.

My entire gear set fit in my briefcase after a bit of disassembly for better nesting!

FT

hi all,
since most of my dives are in Eilat, and it is 350km from Tel Aviv where I live, and since i have a company car (all expenses paid, including gas), we are using my car (Mazda Lantis 323F), and carrying everything that can get in and what we have...
so, both of us (or 3 in rare cases) carry BCD, and all the equipment, together with our weights and my double 10l steels, so no place in the car for the cute hitchhikers :D
anyway, since tek diving, i have more and more equipment, so we are finding all the time some new methods of getting things into car... sometimes very genuine.

dive safe,
sasha

My wife and I are taking a 5 hour road trip from Seattle to Nanaimo at the end of the month, and we are taking absolutely EVERYTHING with us, including two kids and a Mother In Law! :D

Gear List:
4 LP Steel Tanks (2 Faber 98s, 2 PST 80s)
2 Trilam drysuits
2 Halcyon Pioneer 36 Setups (1 w/ACB30s)
1 16 LB Seasoft Weight Belt
30 LB of Soft Lead
2 Regs w/Long Hose
2 Masks
2 Sets of Fins
2 Suunto CPUs
1 HID Can light (w/charger)
1 UK C80 Rechargeable (w/charger)
2 Scout backup lights
2 Lazer marker lights
1 SMB
1 pair Shears
1 Ikelite Auto35 U/W Camera/Housing w/Strobe
*Most stuff will go in a Large Pelican trunk.*

I'm going to do a "dry run" in trying to pack all of this stuff into our SUV next week. Without the roof pod, there would be no chance. Heck, even with the pod we might end up leaving either a kid or my MIL in Seattle. because there's no way I'm diving with rental Aluminum tanks! :D

If you get the time, could you post the names of some good dive boat operators along the Gulf Coast. I am thinking about jumping in the car and visiting the areas east of Houston this summer. Could you let me know if I must have tanks, or can I pay to rent them, because at the moment I don't own any and I don't have a dive buggy with the capacity of yours. I may not have the convenience of a stack of full tanks, but I will just have to work around that.

It seems a world away, but the Florida panhandle is only a day's drive from here.

If flying, everything but tanks and weights, everything when driving. What everything is depends on the diving conditions; water temperature, planned depth, wreck vs. reef, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom