If you had only 1 day to dive while in Bali...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
mtnpool

mtnpool

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Will be going to Bali for a family vacation with wife and young daughter for 4 nights, so trying to only spend 1 day diving (well maybe 2 if it's not a full day affair) as I want to spend time with family as well. Been to Tulamben in the past for diving, and will be staying in the Kuta / Nusa Dua area - what would be recommended for a one day dive trip? Always wanted to see Mola Mola, so was thinking of Nusa Penida since they can pick up from hotel and go by speed boat. There seem to be a lot of options for day trips for diving, does anyone have any better suggestions?

Also, since I'm only going to be diving for one day, probably doesn't make sense to bring all my own gear... what do you guys usually do? Just rent everything? Or at least bring your own regulator? I have a DIN regulator, do shops have DIN here? If not I guess I can either bring my DIN to Yoke converter or a backup Yoke reg.

Any recommended dive ops? The last time I went diving in Bali was more than a decade ago.

Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions!

I have a three-year-old daughter and a non-diving wife. I get it. Haha.

1. Are you moving around? Kuta and Nusa Dua are two very different places. Either way won't really matter. Diving from either will be a full-day affair from 7ish to late afternoon/early evening. Pick up at the hotel, drive to harbor, wait for others, boat to Nusa Penida, dives, boat back to the harbor, wait for pickup, transport back to the hotel.

2. Based on what you wrote, I would book diving out of Sanur and dive around Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan and see the mantas and maybe even Mola2 if the time of year is right. You will enjoy the heck out of your solo day.

3. There are a number of good options; I would strongly recommend Two-Fish Divers. They are a big player in the Indonesia scuba world and always do a solid job. They get it.

4. I would not bother bringing gear for two or three dives, and any reputable places will have quality gear. Should you decide to bring your own, your din regs won't be an issue, but do let them know when you book. Do know that Nusa Penida, especially during Mola2 season, can be really cold. I would consider bringing my own wetsuit before worrying about regs.

5. Send wife to an amazing spa solo day and rock out with your daughter. :cool:

Hope that helps.

1. Are you moving around? Kuta and Nusa Dua are two very different places. Either way won't really matter. Diving from either will be a full-day affair from 7ish to late afternoon/early evening. Pick up at the hotel, drive to harbor, wait for others, boat to Nusa Penida, dives, boat back to the harbor, wait for pickup, transport back to the hotel.

2. Based on what you wrote, I would book diving out of Sanur and dive around Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan and see the mantas and maybe even Mola2 if the time of year is right. You will enjoy the heck out of your solo day.

3. There are a number of good options; I would strongly recommend Two-Fish Divers. They are a big player in the Indonesia scuba world and always do a solid job. They get it.

4. I would not bother bringing gear for two or three dives, and any reputable places will have quality gear. Should you decide to bring your own, your din regs won't be an issue, but do let them know when you book. Do know that Nusa Penida, especially during Mola2 season, can be really cold. I would consider bringing my own wetsuit before worrying about regs.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much for all the suggestions! Exactly, gotta do what a dad's gotta do! Wife used to dive but didn't enjoy it as much.

We might move once from Kuta to Nusa Dua. Will check out Two-Fish Divers, and maybe just bring the wetsuit like you suggested.

Excellent idea on the spa day as well. Definitely helpful!

Hope that helps.
I contacted Two Fish Divers today, just waiting to hear back. I'm actually going to be spending 6 nights in Bali instead, as Typhoon Doksuri is heading over soon and we decided to leave 2 days earlier (tomorrow). So I can probably dive at least 2 days. What would you recommend for the additional dive day this time of year?

I just checked the weather, it is still cool there, what thickness wetsuit would they wear this time of year? Is 3mm enough? If not, I would just rent as I don't want to bother bringing a 5mm.

Thanks!

I contacted Two Fish Divers today, just waiting to hear back. I'm actually going to be spending 6 nights in Bali instead, as Typhoon Doksuri is heading over soon and we decided to leave 2 days earlier (tomorrow). So I can probably dive at least 2 days. What would you recommend for the additional dive day this time of year?

I just checked the weather, it is still cool there, what thickness wetsuit would they wear this time of year? Is 3mm enough? If not, I would just rent as I don't want to bother bringing a 5mm.

Thanks!
I would stay with the same plan. There is plenty around Nusa Penida to keep you happy for a couple of days. The crew at Two-Fish will have far better ideas than I do.

As for how much wetsuit... I am a certified warm water wimp. Last week Tulamben was a solid 82f/28c from top to bottom. I wore a 3mm with a 3 mm vest and was fine, but most would laugh at that. I don't go to Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida without a 5mm and hooded vest. Your milage may vary.

I don't go to Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida without a 5mm and hooded vest. Your milage may vary.
From last reports, it seems Mola mola season started early in Bali ... that would imply really cold water at depth around NP.
Then if you are lucky, get ready for 20°C or less ... that would mean they're around.

I had a similar journey a few years back. Was in Bali with the family of non divers and young kid, I did one day to Nusa Penida and managed to dive with both Mola + Mantas, and a nice drift dive. It was a great day, though it is a bit of a zoo that time of year at Manta point and Crystal Bay. Some people, including the DM got cold and cut Crystal Bay dive short, which sucked because I'm not sure I'll ever see Mola again.

We dove with All4Diving which is right in Sanur. Overall they were just OK. Day trippers tend to be less serious divers, so I agree if there's a way you can swing it staying on Nusa Penida would be much better (though I totally get it, and having been to Nusa Penida previously, the boat with kids is kind of sketchy).

I would stay with the same plan. There is plenty around Nusa Penida to keep you happy for a couple of days. The crew at Two-Fish will have far better ideas than I do.

As for how much wetsuit... I am a certified warm water wimp. Last week Tulamben was a solid 82f/28c from top to bottom. I wore a 3mm with a 3 mm vest and was fine, but most would laugh at that. I don't go to Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida without a 5mm and hooded vest. Your milage may vary.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to Two-Fish's recommendations and diving with them.

Haha, I was diving in similar temps in a 3mm shorty the other day! I tend to stay warm easily.

From last reports, it seems Mola mola season started early in Bali ... that would imply really cold water at depth around NP.
Then if you are lucky, get ready for 20°C or less ... that would mean they're around.
That would be awesome if Mola Mola are already there, I heard some other person say they don't really start up until September. 20°C - I'll just dive with whatever suit they recommend. Thanks!

I had a similar journey a few years back. Was in Bali with the family of non divers and young kid, I did one day to Nusa Penida and managed to dive with both Mola + Mantas, and a nice drift dive. It was a great day, though it is a bit of a zoo that time of year at Manta point and Crystal Bay. Some people, including the DM got cold and cut Crystal Bay dive short, which sucked because I'm not sure I'll ever see Mola again.

We dove with All4Diving which is right in Sanur. Overall they were just OK. Day trippers tend to be less serious divers, so I agree if there's a way you can swing it staying on Nusa Penida would be much better (though I totally get it, and having been to Nusa Penida previously, the boat with kids is kind of sketchy).
Wow, sounds like you got lucky one your one day out. Hopefully I'll be as lucky and get to see both Mola + Mantas on just one day, and hopefully don't end up with people who get cold easily!

Yeah unfortunately staying on Nusa Penida is not happening on this trip, maybe some other day! Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom