If you had only 1 day to dive while in Bali...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
mtnpool

mtnpool

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Will be going to Bali for a family vacation with wife and young daughter for 4 nights, so trying to only spend 1 day diving (well maybe 2 if it's not a full day affair) as I want to spend time with family as well. Been to Tulamben in the past for diving, and will be staying in the Kuta / Nusa Dua area - what would be recommended for a one day dive trip? Always wanted to see Mola Mola, so was thinking of Nusa Penida since they can pick up from hotel and go by speed boat. There seem to be a lot of options for day trips for diving, does anyone have any better suggestions?

Also, since I'm only going to be diving for one day, probably doesn't make sense to bring all my own gear... what do you guys usually do? Just rent everything? Or at least bring your own regulator? I have a DIN regulator, do shops have DIN here? If not I guess I can either bring my DIN to Yoke converter or a backup Yoke reg.

Any recommended dive ops? The last time I went diving in Bali was more than a decade ago.

Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions!

I understand macro diving doesn’t require stellar conditions, the majority of my dives are in Southern California I understand cold and dark lol! However if traveling half way around world on dive vacation am usually chasing Good vis and warm water! Again to each their own

I understand macro diving doesn’t require stellar conditions, the majority of my dives are in Southern California I understand cold and dark lol! However if traveling half way around world on dive vacation am usually chasing Good vis and warm water! Again to each their own
I hear that! Indeed I do. That's why I was explaining about all the extra protection I had to wear, when I expected to be completely comfortable in a 3mm and maybe having to add a beanie after a few days. That's not whst we got!

But I've been in Roatan, when it was stormy every day and we did a dive where I could barely see my hand in front of my face. We were practically clinging to the wall of a pinnacle. Oh my gosh! The critters I saw on that dive! Turned out to be magnificent from that perspective only.

I dived Gili Tepekong and Gili Mimpang out of Candidasa a few years back (usually accessed from Padang Bai I think). Awesome sites and potential for Mola Mola too. Recommended.

I believe there are several other interesting sites in the Padang Bai / Candidasa area so that would make sense from your location.

I'll be in Bali with my family in 2 1/2 weeks (Amed then moving to Padang Bai). Can't wait!

Please update this thread - I'm interested to hear how it went for you.
Update after getting back - so I did Tulamben, 2 dives on the Liberty Wreck - they arranged a freelance guide from Tulamben since it was a last minute decision, and the guide just took me to the wreck twice. It was decent, saw a turtle, couple of mantis shrimp, swam thru the wreck. Nothing too memorable, maybe because I've been there before.

I also went to Nusa Penida on a speedboat, the guide was from UK and was pretty good, went to Manta Point first and of course saw Mantas (5 including 2 swimming past while on our safety stop), did a lot of swimming in the blue looking for Mola Mola but no luck. It was cold, about 70F or 21C. Second dive was at Crystal Bay, hoping to see Mola Mola but still no luck. Third dive was at Mangrove Point, a drift dive, current was pretty fast, they said the dive could take 20 minutes or 50 minutes, and it took about 27 minutes so was on the fast side. It was fun on the drift but a challenge to stay close to my dive guide as the current would vary in speed if I wasn't next to him - he said it was like playing Mario Kart.

All in all decent diving, but if I had to do it again I would have skipped Tulamben as it was a very long ride back (close to 4 hours) with traffic in 2 main areas - before the Tirta Ganga temple where there were tons of people walking along the 2 lane road in the hills, and then a ton of traffic before the port for Nusa Penida.

Good luck and hope you have a great time in Bali!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom