How long to wait before Diving At Altitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DepDiver was nice enough to Pm me some information, and we discussed it some. Thought I'd post this follow-up...

We drove a different route, so our 1300 foot increase in altitude was more gradual, nonetheless - we rounded up to 2000 feet and approached the arrival as if it was a sudden increase. Based on Padi's altitude training and RDP Air chart - we presumed we were at Table D, and while we did not have a full 4:19 hrs after arrival to clear totally, we were there well over 1:19 hrs to Table A. We added 3 minutes Residual N2 to our dives for the rest of the day.

I like Oceanic Computers, but the barometers are accurate only to within 1,000 feet, so I advised my buddy that what his puter said could be off - reading the dive plan for a 3,000, 4,000, or 5,000 foot dive. I don't recall what they actually said when activated, but we went with 84 feet adjusted to 110 feet, 16 - 3 = 13 min BTime for the first dive.

Our puters were all in the Green for the entire dive, and we did a 1 minute Stop at 42 feet and 3 minutes at 12 feet, but we presumed Padi maximum Table M after a 110 foot dive, followed by 1:26 hr SI, yileding B with 10 minutes allowed - 3 minutes from start, so only 7 minutes BT. We went to the bottom on the second dive, then started a gradual multi-level up, as mostly my buddy needed practice swimming and feeling confident. Again, puters were all in the Green even before the 1 minute at 42 feet and 3 minutes at 12 feet. Next day, we started with a clean slate, no Res N2, and planned and dived similarly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom