Elevation after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These divers are in the NAVY

How do you expect them to get to altitude?
Walk on water and then mountain climb?

Zactly. Testing protocols described in attached. Ascent rate =2,000 FPM.
This is what I was asking. Chamber tests, and not in the Manual. Thanks.
Your snark is ignored.

These divers are in the NAVY

How do you expect them to get to altitude?
Walk on water and then mountain climb?
When I was a Navy diver we could walk on water and climb mountains, but to save time and appear mortal we sometimes rode in helicopters and airplanes :wink:

Best regards,
DDM

We drive to an elevation of ~850m after diving- every other weekend. Have two instances of high elevation, the first about half an hour from diving sites, the second after two hours, like in the chart attached.

Been doing this trip for about 35 years: sometimes after decompression dives although in the last years we seldom do deco dives.

I was once concerned about it, was driving alone after a long series of dives. In order not to get sleepy in the long ride, I opened the window and had the hot desert wind on my face. At some point began to feel my skin itching like crawling with ants, I thought that I finally got a chance to know the chamber from the inside, but after closing the window it went away 😅

So, I tried to read about driving to high altitude after diving and couldn't find much at the time. I did find some medical paper published from Jordan which reviewed several cases of DCS: local divers who drove after diving from Aqaba to Aman. The road climbs up to 1800 meters, and several decompression sickness cases were reported over the years. but I suspect this is quite rare though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241008_225714_Locus Map Classic.jpg
    Screenshot_20241008_225714_Locus Map Classic.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 3
OP should feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there will be a car ride up the mountain before the bike ride at altitude.

Starting off at sea level, how long in the vehicle before attaining any altitude? OP, how long from vehicle pickup until expected bike ride begins?
That is correct. Last dive 5pm the day prior. The next day we will be starting at sea level, driving north in the morning leaving at 8am then staying at that altitude (~2200 ft or 700 meters) for most of the day.

I imagine it could take us one to one and a half hours to reach our destination which is something I didn’t give a lot of thought about until someone here mentioned it. With traffic being a little slow it could take some time to get there and that ascent won’t be too fast.

I’m reading now how these standards were made and when I compare to the navy tables they are pretty far apart. With Navy’s worst case nitrogen loading requiring only 9ish hours of off gassing to ascend to 2000 feet if I read that correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom