Elevation after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It feels to me that there should be some way to use current SurfGF to calculate acceptable elevation? Since that is a real time view of nitrogen loading.
Unless I'm not thinking of this correctly.
I think it can be done via our current understanding of technology. The problem (again in my opinion) is that the people writing the software do not have a clear guide to follow, and they are not anxious to be sued when someone gets bent following an algorithm that does not have a firm theoretical base.

I contacted Shearwater about this years ago, ad their response was that I should follow standard rules about flying after diving before ascending to altitude. It would be easy for them to make minor adjustments to their software to handle this, but I got the strong sense they are afraid to do so.

Another thing they could easily do is allow for different breathing gases during surface intervals. NOAA used to have guidelines for how pressure groups changed during a surface interval when breathing pure oxygen. It should be easy to set up a computer so you can change gases during a surface interval, just as you do under water. Where my friends and I did in New Mexico, the altitude is about 4,640 feet, and we regularly pack up after our last dive and head home over mountain passes reaching as high as 7,800 feet. As we drive, some of us (including me) breathe pure oxygen to lower our nitrogen levels. It would take very little software change to calculate that. As it is now, we are just guessing.

It feels to me that there should be some way to use current SurfGF to calculate acceptable elevation? Since that is a real time view of nitrogen loading.
Unless I'm not thinking of this correctly.
SurfGF is not shown when tissue loading is below ambient (which happens within a few hours of most dives). After that, there's nothing really to go on.

A Duke Univ. study in 2002 did a 55 min dive to 60 fsw, then took people up to 8000 ft elevation (commercial flight equivalent pressure) after various intervals. 8% of the divers were bent after 3 hrs, and none were bent after 11 hrs. SurfGF in both cases would have shown 0, so again, not much use.

To my knowledge, the Navy ascent tables are about the best guide available for this sort of thing.

FWIW, the Sepulveda Pass in LA is more than 1,000 feet and people routinely drive it after even somewhat aggressive Tec dives. There's just no other way to get to the San Fernando Valley from the boats.
Coming out of San Diego heading East is a 5000' pass before dropping back down to the Colorado river valley. Coming off the dive boats, loading gear up, getting a bite to eat then it is a slow gradual climb.

Also add in, look at the remaining tissue loading (great feature with a shearwater) in the morning after several days of tech diving. Barely a blip on the slowest tissues.

Guidelines are based on absolute worst case conditions for the simplicity of not having choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom