Question How long would you wait before calling in a rescue via PLB/satellite/etc.?

How long would you wait before calling in a rescue via PLB/satellite/etc.?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Activating a PLB causes a significant chain of events to start, lacking an emergency on the surface, isn't it prudent to give some grace before calling in the calvary?
If there is supposed to be a boat on the end of my ascent line and it isn't in sight when I surface. That is an emergency. If you are 20-30 miles offshore in 50F water, it is an emergency right now. It takes time to mobilize that cavalry.

I would activate my nautilus lifeline as soon as I surfaced and couldn’t see the boat. I might start with the yellow button to just send my location if I knew the boat’s MMI to get on their plotter, but if I didn’t, I’d be mashing that red button.

Activating a PLB causes a significant chain of events to start, lacking an emergency on the surface, isn't it prudent to give some grace before calling in the calvary?
Have you ever been a boat captain that lost a diver?

Forever?

Then your opinion is merely another opinion.

I would activate my nautilus lifeline as soon as I surfaced and couldn’t see the boat. I might start with the yellow button to just send my location if I knew the boat’s MMI to get on their plotter, but if I didn’t, I’d be mashing that red button.
One problem with the Nautilus Lifeline is that it works only if the boat has programmed their radio to receive broadcasts.

Not all captains have VHF radios that can receive, and many haven't programmed their radios due to the huge volume of false alarms.

Even on my personal boat, with 2 equipped radios, only one is programmed for receiving DSC calls, and it is turned off.

One problem with the Nautilus Lifeline is that it works only if the boat has programmed their radio to receive broadcasts.

Not all captains have VHF radios that can receive, and many haven't programmed their radios due to the huge volume of false alarms.

Even on my personal boat, with 2 equipped radios, only one is programmed for receiving DSC calls, and it is turned off.
I guess you won't be picking me up :)

I guess you won't be picking me up :)
If I had you in the water, I'd turn on the other radio.

An awful lot of folks think it's cute to push the orange button.

I'd be too embarassed to activate a beacon or anything and get all those
agencies out, wouldn't want to get into trouble and be left with a big bill

I'd be too embarassed to activate a beacon or anything and get all those
agencies out, wouldn't want to get into trouble and be left with a big bill

The one time I required rescue, embarrassment was the overriding emotion. Better embarrassed than dead. I think the emergency services would rather be stood down after early activation than perform a body retrieval.

I would be on the side of early activation, but as others have said, it depends on circumstances. I've done fast drift dives when the skipper said he will find me and despite the boat not in sight when surfacing, he did. Exciting diving!

I have waited 15-20 minutes by myself waiting to be picked up from a drift dive in Boynton, Palm Beach, or Jupiter. This has generally been with brisk current and sporty sea conditions. I have not gotten to the threshold of activating my Nautilus Lifeline, I'm not sure what the threshold would be, something a bit longer, maybe with conditions.

Yes, it is anxiety provoking. Maybe more by yourself.

I carry both a PLB in a LM battery canister and a Garmin InReach Mini2 in a thigh pocket. Maybe a little paranoid, but options are a good thing on a bad day. Doing multi-hour blackwater drifts and drift deco regularly, it seems like relatively cheap insurance.

Agreed on quick PLB activation if far offshore, remote location, nearing dark, cold water, etc.

My “Where the hell is the boat?” option in mellower conditions is to message the skipper via InReach. Pre-programming their numbers is easy with the app, and they get GPS coordinates and a map in the message. I let the crew know I’m carrying both devices and ask for a mobile number if it’s a new op for me. Second message is to family/friend, who has the rough dive plan & operator contact on Outlook calendar. With MapShare enabled, they can use the link in my message to send a reply.

If none of that works and there’s no boat traffic nearby, it’s time for SOS on Garmin and PLB activation. How long would depend on location and conditions, but likely not more than 20 minutes on the surface.

Lance

Back
Top Bottom