How long before it's all really dialed in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife takes everything I suggest onboard and through my guidance and advice she has become a very qualified and competent diver. She has told me numerous times that I have taught her far more than she learned from her OW and AOW instructors and countless DMs.

Not understanding why your wife brushes you off when you try to help. Especially with a challenging and potentially dangerous sport. Was she always like this? I sense a trust/communication issue that has nothing whatsoever to do with diving.
oof.. You hit a lot of red flags there! And that's for another thread. Some women are so tired of being told how to do something, that the man/husband/boyfriend mansplaining yet another thing automatically triggers the ignore button.

I am genuinely happy for you that you are able to articulate skills etc, without mansplaining. It's a skill that is lost on most men.

I think time in between is more important than the actual number once you get so many dives under your belt. Yes some things are like riding a bike but if you waited and didn't dive for five years there would probably be a lot of rust to shake off.

Depends entirely on you. The absolute best diver I ever met gave me this advice: "Your card is a learners permit. You need to practice all those skills you were introduced to till you have them down to a conditioned reflex. Do only one at a time till you perfect it before you move on the next. First buoyancy, then trim, then ...And always, ALWAYS minimize your new task load. Never more than one new task till it's reflex.”

Depends entirely on you. The absolute best diver I ever met gave me this advice: "Your card is a learners permit. You need to practice all those skills you were introduced to till you have them down to a conditioned reflex. Do only one at a time till you perfect it before you move on the next. First buoyancy, then trim, then ...And always, ALWAYS minimize your new task load. Never more than one new task till it's reflex.”
When I say skills, I'm usually talking about the (24 still?) things you are taught in the pool (PADI). Buoyancy and trim are what most people mean when they talk of skills-- perhaps efficient kicking. These skills should naturally improve as you continue to dive. I do wonder how many non-pro divers actually practice regulator retrieval, weight belt and unit removal and replacement, no mask swim, etc. after they are certified. My guess would be very very few.

I do wonder how many non-pro divers actually practice regulator retrieval, weight belt and unit removal and replacement, no mask swim, etc. after they are certified. My guess would be very very few.
I briefly swap to my octo to make sure it's working well on every dive. I also do a mask remove and replace on nearly every dive. Not the other stuff though.

Maybe
More experienced divers have different advice about how long it takes before everything is internalized to the point it's just natural and you don't have to think about it. I'm curious to know what people here say about it and what it means.

I assume it will take me longer to get buoyancy and trim completely sorted because my diving is both tropical in either a shorty or rash guard and cold water in a drysuit. I just bought a drysuit that has very different buoyancy characteristics than the rental I used before. At this point, I have a bit over 30 dives in the last 14 months since I got certified. About half are tropical in different neoprene suits and half are cold water. Only the last two (31 and 32) are in the new drysuit. My guess is that about a dozen dives in the new drysuit will get that pretty well sorted. Tropical dives are close to sorted, although ditching neoprene and just going with a rash guard will put a bit of a complication in that. That's probably TMI. I'm curious to know what others' experiences with dialing it all in have been.
40 or 50 dives everything clicked to the point of being reliable. By 75 or so it was well engrained.

Everyone learns at different paces though

I briefly swap to my octo to make sure it's working well on every dive. I also do a mask remove and replace on nearly every dive. Not the other stuff though.
Yeah that's a good one to do. I didn't have trouble with it in the class so guess I never thought about practicing it other than to demonstrate it.

Yeah that's a good one to do. I didn't have trouble with it in the class so guess I never thought about practicing it other than to demonstrate it.
The mask remove is normally to allow me to blow my nose :) . I also like the feeling of swimming a bit with the water in my face. The only times I'll skip it in warm water is if I have a miracle completely fog free dive and I don't want to mess anything up.

If it's cold, I might just do it on the first dive of a trip (unless I really need to blow my nose).

Some women are so tired of being told how to do something.
I don't tell my wife how or what to do in regard to diving (or anything else). I suggest, I demonstrate, she considers and often but not always takes my advice on board. But she always listens to what I have to say because it's usually helpful.

Back
Top Bottom