How do you feel about solo diving?

How do you feel about solo diving?

• Never done it, never want to.

Votes: 57 19.1%
  • Haven't done it, but thought about it.

Votes: 81 27.2%
  • I've done it, but prolly never again.

Votes: 25 8.4%
  • I do it all the time!

Votes: 135 45.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i gave it a lot of thought, and I would dive solo in some very special occasions: when taking pictures in some VERY familiar site that is in shallow water. There is one site like that in Eilat, with a lot of photo opportunities, and the max depts is 4-5m!

BUT, since it is forbiden, if I get cought when I get outside, I could get a fine, my C-card can be revoked,....

sasha

PS: I will put a full face mask so nobody will see me :anon:

Sorry guys to say that I read this saying long time ago I hope it will help the discussion
Dive alone die alone
Dive with a buddy die with your buddy.

If someone has to die if it was from diving or not, no one can help, he is going to die like all of us we r going to die. It's not about how it's about when ????

I do it all the time, yeah..yeah
I do it all the time, yeah yeah

(Violent Femmes) :D

Its hard for me to find a buddy when I'm holding one of these in 10 ft vis, but I actually do prefer having a buddy.

attachment.php

Between work schedules, time schedules, life schedules - I find myself diving solo almost all the time. Sometimes my regular dive buddy will just not feel like diving that day and will stay on the boat and get a sun tan. I suppose it's just a state of mind and what you're used to. Also, could be location. We live in the keys a probably have more diving days than a lot of people.
Bomber

To be honest, I don't see a problem with solo diving at all. I am a self sufficient diver and so are my friends. If we all happen to show up at the same dive site together, great. Even when we're together it's not like we're holding hands the whole time. We lose sight of each other all the time. BIG DEAL. If the training associations would stop forcing this "buddy" system on us then maybe all divers could learn to be as self sufficient as the rest of us who do solo dive. How many times has this senario happened to you. You get on a boat by yourself with 5 other divers. None of which you know. As the DM pairs you up with a "buddy", you start gearing up. Your "buddy" starts to tell you about his wild night at the local bars last night and how he woke up just before the boat left still feeling a little off. So now you are expected to be responsible for his life and safety on this dive? Worse yet he is to be responsible for YOUR life and safety. Come on do you think that you can count on that "buddy" for anything besides helping you put your tank on? With the proper knowledge, mindset, and a lack of co-dependency, anyone can be a self sufficient diver. Wether there is ten other people around you or not.

well SCORE ResQ such a thing has never happened to me. How did you learn to so self sufficint?

Do solo divers ever think about their families? Aren't they more important than spearing a fish? Or just looking around at something?

Maybe the odds of getting it are infinitesmal (sp?), but even those are too great for me.

Diving's just not that important.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Do solo divers ever think about their families? Aren't they more important than spearing a fish? Or just looking around at something?

Maybe the odds of getting it are infinitesmal (sp?), but even those are too great for me.

Diving's just not that important.

Given the infinitesimal difference in odds detween the danger of regular vs solo diving, how do you justify diving to your family at all?

Back
Top Bottom