Local Divers: How long does it take you to get to your favorite dive site?

Local Divers: How long does it take to get your favorite dive site?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laguna Beach, CA used to be an urchin barren. So was most of the coast of southern California. I know the feeling. Laguna has been a preserve now for years and is teaming with life. It's the best beach diving in socal. Unless the lobster and sheephead are allowed to recover, the kelp will never survive no matter how many urchins get removed manually.

Being in the Tampa area, it's about 2-3 hours to Cave Country, 1 hour to Hudson/Buford/EN, or 5+ hours to the Florida Keys. There's just no escaping driving on this side of Florida unless you want to dive the Gulf which isn't my preference.
Only 3-3:30 to Jupiter, Palm Beach, and Boynton :)

Laguna Beach, CA used to be an urchin barren. So was most of the coast of southern California. I know the feeling. Laguna has been a preserve now for years and is teaming with life. It's the best beach diving in socal. Unless the lobster and sheephead are allowed to recover, the kelp will never survive no matter how many urchins get removed manually.
No lobsters and sheephead on the North Coast. Sea stars - especially sunflower stars - kept the urchins at bay but were decimated by wasting disease. Hopefully they are coming back. In the meantime, kudos to Eric and co. for making a dent.

I have unfortunately not made it over to the East Coast yet to do any diving but it is on my to-do list. Some great wreck diving over there I hear.

Wrecks, reefs, drift, shore ... Palm Beach and Broward counties have MUCH to offer

No lobsters and sheephead on the North Coast. Sea stars - especially sunflower stars - kept the urchins at bay but were decimated by wasting disease. Hopefully they are coming back. In the meantime, kudos to Eric and co. for making a dent.
IMG_5482.jpeg

Can you explain, for the sake of foreigners from across the sea, what's going on with the purple urchin population? They have no natural predators or competitors and grow on large numbers? How the urchins impact the local ecosystem?

Here in Red Sea, we have the opposite problem: some disease is decimating several species of sea urchins. We lost almost all Diademas, for example.

Can I raise you 25 minutes
Only if there is a decent path to access that area.

Might be a dodgy giant stride, but then how in hell do you get back up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom