How do you feel about solo diving?

How do you feel about solo diving?

• Never done it, never want to.

Votes: 57 19.1%
  • Haven't done it, but thought about it.

Votes: 81 27.2%
  • I've done it, but prolly never again.

Votes: 25 8.4%
  • I do it all the time!

Votes: 135 45.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
well SCORE ResQ such a thing has never happened to me. How did you learn to be so self sufficient?

I would assume as an instructor, you rarely go diving alone, during instruction or on shop trips. You bring your own crowd.

I travel solo quite a bit, some times hitting two different boats on the same day. In five days of diving in the Keys, I could have ten different dive buds of any level of experience, from way more than me, to aquatically dangerous. I don't worry about them at all, but neither do I depend on them. Solo diving with a buddy, I bet you've done it. :)

I learned to be self sufficient in other parts of life, not just scuba. I think being a Blender, and Gear Tech, gives me more confidence in my gear than some might have. Plus the act of thinking through the contingencies of solo diving, and practicing them. Practicing ESAs from as deep as 90 ft (usually 60), working several hundered yards of cave line in our local quarry ithout a mask, these things make me self sufficient.

Of course, I've never had any of these problems, or even seen others that did.

Perhaps I am missing the point here, but why is this such a controversial issue? Isn't this whole issue simply a matter of different people having different levels of perceived risk, perceived reward, and risk tolerance?

To sum up the thread as I see it:
Solo diving rewards are greater than the risks.
No, they are not... it's riskier than you think.
Yes, they are... I can make it less risky.
No, they are not... There isn't any reason to do it.
Yes, they are... I have my reaons.
No, they are not... Risk is to great and your reasons suck.
Yes, they are....
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.................

Why don't we have this same argument about swimming, diving, deep diving, technical diving, cave diving, ice diving, wreck diving, decompression diving, and every other area in which we decide to add risk to our lives in order to obtain a reward. Hell, the whole issue could be avoided if we all just stayed out of the water where we don't belong in the first place. We all seem crazy to everyone who has a lower risk tolerance than we do. In fact, everyone on this board probably looks stupid and foolish to the guy on the beach who refuses to go in the water at all.

I dive SOLO when my regular buddies are not available.

I DO NOT think SOLO diving is for everyone,,but,,,
I am confident enough in my skills, equipment and preparation to handle it.

I don't However, do any penetration dives or overhead environments while SOLO diving. (wreck diving is my fav..)

It definitely has to be a individual decision based upon a complete and honest evaluation of one's self. Including training, experience, equipment etc...

Just my opinion.

Popeye once bubbled...

Given the infinitesimal difference in odds detween the danger of regular vs solo diving, how do you justify diving to your family at all?

My family knows that my buddies are competent enough to assist me in any type of situation that I might get into. They also know that assistance is better than none.

You might be able to handle an equipment failure by yourself, but what if you've got a medical issue that needs attention and renders you incapacitated? My buddies are there to assist in that also.

Non-Diving vs Diving vs Solo-Diving

Non-Diver: Scuba diving is a dangerous activity. The best way to mitigate that danger is to not dive.
Diver: But I like diving, and rather than not dive, I choose to to minimize the danger as best I can without ruining the aspects that made diving enjoyable for me in the first place.

Diver: Solo-diving is a dangerous activity. The best way to mitigate that danger is not to solo-dive.
Solo-Diver: But I like solo-diving, and rather than not solo-dive, I choose to minimize the danger as best I can without ruining the aspects that made solo-diving enjoyable for me in the first place.

How do those of you who choose to dive, yet criticize those who choose to solo-dive, reconcile this apparent double-standard? After all, if you feel the benefits justify the risks, how can you deny the same justification to the solo-diver? If you feel that special classes and training are a benefit to divers, cave divers, ice divers, etc., even though they do not completely eliminate the risks invovled, how can you justify denying that special training would benefit solo-divers as well?

djhall once bubbled...
Non-Diving vs Diving vs Solo-Diving

Non-Diver: Scuba diving is a dangerous activity. The best way to mitigate that danger is to not dive.
Diver: But I like diving, and rather than not dive, I choose to to minimize the danger as best I can without ruining the aspects that made diving enjoyable for me in the first place.

Diver: Solo-diving is a dangerous activity. The best way to mitigate that danger is not to solo-dive.
Solo-Diver: But I like solo-diving, and rather than not solo-dive, I choose to minimize the danger as best I can without ruining the aspects that made solo-diving enjoyable for me in the first place.

How do those of you who choose to dive, yet criticize those who choose to solo-dive, reconcile this apparent double-standard? After all, if you feel the benefits justify the risks, how can you deny the same justification to the solo-diver? If you feel that special classes and training are a benefit to divers, cave divers, ice divers, etc., even though they do not completely eliminate the risks invovled, how can you justify denying that special training would benefit solo-divers as well?

You can purchase all the c-cards and training that you want, but if you have a medical event or other type of event that renders you incapacitated those c-cards will be worth the plastic that they're printed on. I've got a chance to see my family again. You don't.

detroit diver once bubbled...

You can purchase all the c-cards and training that you want, but if you have a medical event or other type of event that renders you incapacitated those c-cards will be worth the plastic that they're printed on. I've got a chance to see my family again. You don't.

What if your buddy panics, and takes you with him?

That's a chance -I- don't have to take.

How many solo deaths were reported in the US last year?

How many divers died with buddies?

How many buddies died -because- of their buddies?

The odds just aren't that much different.

And practically non-existant to begin with.

And it's not about training and c-cards.

It's about self-confidence.

I don't dive with buddies that don't know what they're doing in all types of situations. For those that understand, it's Rule #1.

How many doesn't matter to me. I matter to me.

detroit diver once bubbled...
I don't dive with buddies that don't know what they're doing in all types of situations. For those that understand, it's Rule #1.

How many doesn't matter to me. I matter to me.

Panic has no regard for Rule#1.

Assuming your buddies are infalible is a violation of Rule#2.

djhall once bubbled...
Perhaps I am missing the point here, but why is this such a controversial issue? Isn't this whole issue simply a matter of different people having different levels of perceived risk, perceived reward, and risk tolerance?

The reason this is so controversial is because there is a certain segment of the diving population who refuse to recognize the rights of other individuals to make rational, sound decisions for themselves as to what is in their best interest.

There is no evidence available today of which I am aware of or conclusive argument to be made to substantiate that solo diving presents a significant increase in risk to the well trained and equiped diver for this activity.

The increased risk encountered when buddy diving tec. dives as opposed to rec. dives is accepted, but this same right is denied for those who wish to take this greater risk in the form of solo diving.

The reason this should be addressed and challenged is because there is already one city that I am aware of that does not allow solo diving. Those who do not recognize the rights of others are likely to initiate and/or support the establishment of regulations without corroborating evidence.

Many activities carry a greater risk when done alone. Something as simple as being home alone or walking down the street alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom