Hose horns. tough as nails or fragile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never bothered with the ring or swapping out the gasket. For those who have, what kind of shape was the fiber washer in after removal? I figured everything is at ambient pressure, so no big deal.

I never bothered with the ring or swapping out the gasket. For those who have, what kind of shape was the fiber washer in after removal? I figured everything is at ambient pressure, so no big deal.
Usually completely dried out, brittle, and in pieces...

I'll take a picture of mine when I get a chance. A few hours in the freezer then into the ultrasonic and I was able to get the ring to budge using a punch as @James79 suggested. I didn't have time last night to get it into the vice but I will today.

The Scuba Museum has the body ring tool. Or make your own. A steel punch will damage the ring.

Using the can horns for leverage not only can collapse the horn but the two little tabs inside the body cut out that you cannot see until removed can be sheared off thus ruining the can.

Make a wooden holder or vice clamp to grip the hookah port. Use the correct tool to loosen the body retention ring. If you insist on not using the correct tool then make a Delrin, phenolic, plastic punch to hammer at the ring notches so as not to deform them.

Nemrod is right, the body ring tool is the best option... I was unaware that the scuba museum was selling them. The punch method is a workaround that can scar or damage the ring or threads if not careful.

We need someone to take up where Herman left off with making the various tools. I was fortunate to have obtained the ones I needed before he stopped...

I was unaware that the scuba museum was selling them. The punch method is a workaround that can scar or damage the ring or threads if not careful.
I find it difficult to browse the scuba museum site unless I have something specific in mind and can do a search for it.

@Nemrod, the damage was already done. I used the punch but the ring wasn't too badly locked after the freezer and u/s cleaner. I was happy with myself that I limited damage to one notch, but when I blow up the pictures I can see that maybe someone used the same removal method previously. Fortunately, I kept the punch on the outside edge of the ring. I don't think I realized how easily the threads could be damaged.

One thing I did have a lot of trouble with was the snap ring filter retainer. It cracked in a couple places when I tried to remove it. Is it possible to replace the snap ring with a star retainer???

@scrane , My washer was neoprene and in good shape.
can in vice.jpg
body gasket.jpg
body ring.jpg

No, you need a snap ring and it needs to be stainless steel.

a star won't hold the pressure to retain the spring (tabs will bend), and/or if you get it in the recess it may not sit properly, and you probably won't get it out without scratching stuff up...

I find it difficult to browse the scuba museum site unless I have something specific in mind and can do a search for it.

@Nemrod, the damage was already done. I used the punch but the ring wasn't too badly locked after the freezer and u/s cleaner. I was happy with myself that I limited damage to one notch, but when I blow up the pictures I can see that maybe someone used the same removal method previously. Fortunately, I kept the punch on the outside edge of the ring. I don't think I realized how easily the threads could be damaged.

One thing I did have a lot of trouble with was the snap ring filter retainer. It cracked in a couple places when I tried to remove it. Is it possible to replace the snap ring with a star retainer???

@scrane , My washer was neoprene and in good shape.
View attachment 813999View attachment 814000View attachment 814001
Snap rings are available and should be used instead of a star washer. Snap rings have a top and bottom. The bottom, sharp, side should go up. If you put the curved side in upward the snap ring can walk out.

There is a specific tool for installing the components including the snap ring upon reassembly. There is also a method using a wooden dowel or a nylon bushing.

No, again, do not use a star washer, get the correct snap ring. A LDS should have one but if not they are available elsewhere. Sintered filter, use a new one, rough side up.

@rhwestfall and @Nemrod , dang, I knew you guys were going to say that about the snap rings, but I was hoping the star retainer might work. I'll get the new filter/ring from scuba museum. I need other parts as well. Band clamp, mouthpiece valves, duckbill, service kit, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom