Hose horns. tough as nails or fragile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boat sju

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I needed a project for this winter so I bought a DAAM on ebay. As I'm watching disassembly videos it looks like the tech is using the horns as leverage. I've been treating them like china. I know it may not be possible to quantify but any insight????

I collapsed one on a DAAM freeing the big nut or something I think

017.JPG

and then rescued it

How did you rescue it?

That "big nut" is the last thing I can't get loose. I need a bigger spanner and my wife has me in lock-down (long story) so I can't get to Home Depot.

How did you rescue it?

That "big nut" is the last thing I can't get loose. I need a bigger spanner and my wife has me in lock-down (long story) so I can't get to Home Depot.
If you mean the body ring (inside the cans), I've removed corroded on ones by leaving the first stage installed and putting the first stage and hookah port in a vise (wood vise jaw covers, close it gently. Goal is just preventing rotation of the body) and carefully using a flat head screwdriver or punch as a drift to drive the body ring around. If you hold the assembly by the can, even if you don't crush the horn you risk warping the can.

I can mock it up for pictures if needed.

Best of luck on it!

Respectfully,

James

James,

Yes, we're talking about the body ring. I know exactly what you mean about the vice with wood blocking. I've done it with single stages. Probably got the idea from you in the first place :). I figured I'd be going that route when I have a chance to get another spanner. The punch approach makes me a little nervous but now that you've approved that method I'll go for it.

Thanks,
boat

PS Should I be concerned that me and happy-diver seem to be on the same wavelength regarding what the "big ring" is?

So even after I bathed my luxurious reg in phosphoric.....

181.JPG

PS Don't be concerned mate, be terrified!

Be carefu
I needed a project for this winter so I bought a DAAM on ebay. As I'm watching disassembly videos it looks like the tech is using the horns as leverage. I've been treating them like china. I know it may not be possible to quantify but any insight????
Try not to bend anything. Some of these are really difficult to loosen.

Well this didn't work until I added a stick

HMM 003.JPG

But this worked perfectly to get rid of the gloop

HMM 021.JPG

Yes basted in PHOSPHORIC for a few minutes label paint sticker and all

HMM 013.JPG

and cleansed with off with water

HMM 023.JPG

It's all about chemistry mate, like on here

unless you're doing Poseidons, where their manuals advise HYDROCHLORIC

Back
Top Bottom