Question (UK) Do I need any special certification to rent/use tech gears (twinset ect)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L2m

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear all,

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who replied on my last post on this sub-forum - all your words were great support and I'm booking my first Fundies class, whereas keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm moving to the UK later this year, and would like to ask fellow UK divers about the renting and using of "tech" gears in UK dive sites. I've been practicing in DIR gears for half a year already (so: twinset, two first stages with long/short hose setup second stages, backplate wing, shell drysuit, etc); however, currently I only had PADI AOW and Drysuit Specialty qualification. I'm planning my Fundies before my arrival in the UK, but as most of you are aware this could not be guaranteed.

I'm hoping to keep practicing under my current equipment configuration once I arrive in the UK, irrespective of the outcome of my Fundies. May I ask fellow divers or dive operators in the UK, do I need any special certification to use and/or rent DIR equipment in the UK? Or do I need to make any skill demonstration, or is it okay to just pay and go?

Thanks in advance for any possible help.

A twin set and two separate regs are not "tech equipment". That is what I used during my first OW course.
Here in Europe, where serious training is done by organizations such as Cmas and Bsac (the latter is dominant in UK) we consider fully recreational to dive in air down to 50m and to make deco stops. This of course is often done using twin tanks.
All of this is standard recreational diving here in Europe..
And your certifications do not state the type of tanks and regs you are allowed to employ, it is like the type of mask and fins, these are just personal choices.

There's not many places you'd be able to rent twinsets + regulators from. Maybe the diving quarries/lakes (Wraysbury, Vobster Quays, Stoney Cove, Capenwray) might have them.

Similarly an instructor might be able to rent you the equipment.

If you're looking at the GUE crowd, then maybe one of them could rent/loan you a twinset?

Normally you'd buy a twinset and keep it in test. These typically go for around £350 in test. A test+clean will cost around £120ish possibly plus disassembly.

Regulators are your own personal equipment.

Dear all,

I'm moving to the UK later this year, and would like to ask fellow UK divers about the renting and using of "tech" gears in UK dive sites. I've been practicing in DIR gears for half a year already (so: twinset, two first stages with long/short hose setup second stages, backplate wing, shell drysuit, etc); however, currently I only had PADI AOW and Drysuit Specialty qualification. I'm planning my Fundies before my arrival in the UK, but as most of you are aware this could not be guaranteed.

I'm hoping to keep practicing under my current equipment configuration once I arrive in the UK, irrespective of the outcome of my Fundies. May I ask fellow divers or dive operators in the UK, do I need any special certification to use and/or rent DIR equipment in the UK? Or do I need to make any skill demonstration, or is it okay to just pay and go?

Thanks in advance for any possible help.
Hi,

If you know which part of the UK your going to be based, you can use the Club Finder to locate a few BSAC Branches in that area. Its worth checking a few out as not all clubs do the same type of diving. Certifications awarded by other agencies are accepted by BSAC, so you can just go diving with them.

As for hiring kit. Yes its possible, but you'll soon find it cheaper (and convenient) to own you own equipment - including drysuit (so you can dive year round).

Hi,

If you know which part of the UK your going to be based, you can use the Club Finder to locate a few BSAC Branches in that area. Its worth checking a few out as not all clubs do the same type of diving. Certifications awarded by other agencies are accepted by BSAC, so you can just go diving with them.

As for hiring kit. Yes its possible, but you'll soon find it cheaper (and convenient) to own you own equipment - including drysuit (so you can dive year round).
Thank you so much for the website - it's really useful and actually helps me identify a dealer of twinset! I'm thinking of buying my own twinset after I settle down and confirm a place (eg. a club or a warehouse) where I could store this giant bulk. I'm bringing everything else with me including a drysuit.

There's not many places you'd be able to rent twinsets + regulators from. Maybe the diving quarries/lakes (Wraysbury, Vobster Quays, Stoney Cove, Capenwray) might have them.

Similarly an instructor might be able to rent you the equipment.

If you're looking at the GUE crowd, then maybe one of them could rent/loan you a twinset?

Normally you'd buy a twinset and keep it in test. These typically go for around £350 in test. A test+clean will cost around £120ish possibly plus disassembly.

Regulators are your own personal equipment.
I think I'll buy one as soon as I settle down in the country, and I have my own twinset regulators (despite that they were pump-styled and I'm not sure if they will freeze in UK water). May I ask if you know any method of identifying local GUE crowds? I think I'll be living near Manchester.

A twin set and two separate regs are not "tech equipment". That is what I used during my first OW course.
Here in Europe, where serious training is done by organizations such as Cmas and Bsac (the latter is dominant in UK) we consider fully recreational to dive in air down to 50m and to make deco stops. This of course is often done using twin tanks.
All of this is standard recreational diving here in Europe..
And your certifications do not state the type of tanks and regs you are allowed to employ, it is like the type of mask and fins, these are just personal choices.
Thank you for your reply. Twinset has been something very clandestine and seclusive to me until I try it on this month - and I feel it actually easier to maintain left-right balance when using a twinset compared with a single tank! However on my first few twinset dives I found it easier to topple over head-down with twinset, which is why I wonder if using twinset requires any additional qualification.

The 'local' quarry to Manchester is Capernwray.

I don't dive with GUE people; have seen them around but they tend to stick together and rarely dive on the dive boats I go on! It might be possible to find them through Facebook or some other way.

Does anyone else know any UK GUE people?

As @Edward3c said, there is an alternative which is BSAC -- British Sub Aqua Club. They do lots of training including on twinsets and the like. They normally work through local clubs of which there's a lot around Manchester. These clubs normally have access to training pools, compressors, oxygen, instructors and dive boats (commonly RIBs).

From what you've said, I think BSAC would be a great start. Then, if you still want, you can make the move to GUE.

Regarding dive boats in the UK... They're mostly a taxi service and aren't interested in your qualifications. Most have the attitude that if you need a buddy, it's up to you to bring one; or, if you're going to dive solo, then it's up to you to bring the experience and skills.

UK diving is generally cold water diving, from 5C in the winter through summer temperatures of 18C on the south coast to 14C in the north and Scotland. Therefore a drysuit is normal for year-round diving.

The GUE UK facebook page is moderately busy and has a good following. Dives are organised through there quite frequently and badged at the appropriate level, Fundies, T1, T2 etc. Anyone can book on spaces and there's often a chat where people can sort buddies if they want. Its quite a wide dispersion of people, so there isn't necessarily a group to join local to you, but you can probably bump into people or arrange to meet at a quarry.
A lot of people are members of BSAC clubs and dive with GUE divers as well separately; that's what I do. You can then access different training and coaching as available, and get more diving in. I'd certainly recommend looking up BSAC clubs near where you settle. Make sure you shop around a little, different clubs suit different people.
Rich

Does anyone in the US know where I can rent/try sidemount gear? I really want to try it without spending thousands of dollars to buy gears first. lol

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom