Don't Get Bent Hoses for Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oya

Rebreather Pilot
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
You've left your Christmas shopping to the very last minute, haven't you? You figured, "It's fine! I'll just go to the scuba store tomorrow or the next day and get some regulators for that special diver in my life and they'll love them!"

May I make a shopping suggestion, rushed though you may now be: be discerning when purchasing for tech (and especially cave) divers.

All too often I get folks down here with regs that lack a swivel turret on the first stage or {shudder} miflex hoses.

Lacking a swivel on the first stage should not be a total deal-breaker. But the swivel is preferable. Backmount or sidemount... doesn't matter. Turret = Good.

You see, sometimes cave or wreck divers need to go single-file through passages. And in the (hopefully) unlikely scenario that divers are sharing gas as they need to fall into single file, every spare inch of hose counts.

Normally, which is to say 99.X% of all dives, the long hose will be stowed. So you're going to pick the nicest possible hose routing for it. Rather have the hose pointed down, to lay flush with your tanks and wing, rather than pointing off at some mad angle where it's just going to reach out and periodically grab the cave.

So lacking a swivel, one would logically pick a port on the first that points straight-ish down.

But as our swivel-less diver immediately discovers during an S-Drill... pointing down is not ideal for a shared hose. Because the fact that it's got to loop down, then back up to the "Out of Gas" diver eats up a few precious inches of hose.

Better to have a swivel where the team can take a moment to confirm that the hose is turned, in that moment, to point up and away from the donor, towards the recipient, freeing up that little, valuable length.

This problem can be magnified by the {shudder} miflex hoses. Which are made to be super bendy. Which seems like a great idea.

Until you donate a long hose and there's no way (or it's forgotten as a step) to swivel the long hose out to the OOG diver. And the bendy hose bends.

Suddenly and completely cutting off gas to the diver who was just out of gas a moment ago.

Not ideal.

Yes, this can happen with rubber hoses, too. It's harder and requires more force on the hose, but it can happen.

So the ideal, what you should be shopping for this week...

A first stage with a turret (and ideally a fifth port to really open up hose-routing options). And no miflex hoses - at the very least not on anything from which you expect to breath reliably.

routing.jpg

You've left your Christmas shopping to the very last minute, haven't you? You figured, "It's fine! I'll just go to the scuba store tomorrow or the next day and get some regulators for that special diver in my life and they'll love them!"
Unless a diver requests a specific item, that's just asking it to be tossed in the same box as the sweater their Grandma or Aunt bought them 2 Christmases ago. At that point, better to get them a gift-card or air-fill card.

May I make a shopping suggestion, rushed though you may now be: be discerning when purchasing for tech (and especially cave) divers.
My suggestion would be "please don't." Because cave or tech divers tend to have VERY specific requirements, or prefer very specific gear. Giving them something, even a very-nice and expensive one, may require them becoming a Christmas-tree diver, or getting rid of something they have which is more suitable for their diving.

You see, sometimes cave or wreck divers need to go single-file through passages. And in the (hopefully) unlikely scenario that divers are sharing gas as they need to fall into single file, every spare inch of hose counts.
If 7ft is not enough, what about 25ft, 50ft, or 100ft?

---

Anyway, 1st stage turrets and 5-ports are nice. If you're on a budget, look into a used ScubaPro Mk10. There are also a number of people on ScubaBoard who service MK10s or can offer advice on how to service them.

Disagree about turrets on the first stage, they are ok but prefer fixed, never had an issue with miflex or miflex like hoses, don’t want or need anyone buying me dive gear or gasping in horror at the amount of gear that’s sitting in the shop, somethings are better off unknown.

I disagree. For backmount non-turret first stages typically allow better hose routing than those with rotating turret. For sidemount or stages, turrets are better as you need to change the routing during the dive.

Yes is that what everyone thinks

scubaprofront-jpg.452834.jpg

ds4-jpg-59755-jpg.452833.jpg

So when the hoses go down and your shoulders are up how does that work

Now in the process of reconfiguration of all my stuff, I've just untied a couple of stage set ups like this
to use elswhere on my tyre pumpers actually and after five years the six inch hoses have not one crack

dst_on_30_large.jpg

Noice!

I was talking about single tank back mounted which in my cases means more hoses than those you have per regulator in your setup and ends up with bad routing.
1671631563327.png

Looks pretty reasonable to me, even if you're doing the whole "I only need a single dilout first stage on my unit" thing and need an additional hose.

I have 1 HP hose (transmitter) and 5 LP hoses (BC inflator, dry suit inflator, rebreather dil hose, short hose secondary, long hose secondary) — this setup is ugly on my Apeks DSTs but looks pretty neat on my Apeks FSRs. All in all you can make it work either way but I find it cleaner with the FSR.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom