Here she comes....Vandenberg!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think this is a payable fine misdameanor. I hope this guy is still in business in July I booked a private charter with him. I can hear lawyers now saying if it was that big of safety hazard then the Coast Guard should have held a perimeter. Anyway, does anybody have any info on this operator, personal exp?

The artificial reef site where the Vandenberg now rests was leased to the City of Key West for 99 years. Anyone who thinks "the legality of it all will be WAY up in the air" is certainly a fool.

FKNMS and COE both have permitting authority here. The COE issues authorizations for artificial reefs for 10 years, which have to be renewed. Not sure what this "99-year lease" refers to. As far as the exclusion zone, the City of Key West has no juice there (only USCG, FKNMS, FWC).

The artificial reef site where the Vandenberg now rests was leased to the City of Key West for 99 years. Anyone who thinks "the legality of it all will be WAY up in the air" is certainly a fool.

first I've heard of this....

of anyone "leasing a reef site" or that "Key west leased the site".

can you provide some more info on this?

links, etc?

if this is true, then there is public information to back it up.

Jeep is locked, loaded and gassed and I have dark sunglasses, headed that way, ETA, two weeks, leaving next week. Maybe a quad sweep, Big O, Miz, Spiegal, Vandenberg. I feel it is time to be banned from Flariduh for a third time, yeah. N

So you're saying that the city of Key West has jurisdiction?

All I know is that a couple of months ago my bride asked me if I wanted to do anything for my birthday (in July), I responded by sending her a copy of our airline and B & B booking for Key West (look what you got me for my birthday). It's going to be hard to keep my mind on work for another month and 1/2.

All I know is that a couple of months ago my bride asked me if I wanted to do anything for my birthday (in July), I responded by sending her a copy of our airline and B & B booking for Key West (look what you got me for my birthday). It's going to be hard to keep my mind on work for another month and 1/2.

That sounds like a good idea. My BD is June 30. Wonder if it will work with Mrs.

So you're saying that the city of Key West has jurisdiction?
Basically yes. But like on land, several agencies are able to enforce the law.

I did a quick search for the lease document, but could not find it (not everything is online). I'm pretty tired after a full week in Key West working with the Vandenberg, so I'm not going to kill myself looking for it.

My understanding is the individual could have gotten away with a simple fine but their behavior earned a full portion of 'public service'.

The more important issue is that the site is now open and truly an amazing dive. I only hope the local operator figure out what they have so we divers can fully enjoy it without having to bring our own compressor & boat...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom