Here she comes....Vandenberg!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it was the captain of the Bansai Divers boat down here. But the legality of it all will be WAY up in the air because it occurred in International waters, etc. So things are already creating a mess down here because no one can get their ducks in a row on what to do from day to day

If I'm not mistaken, Federal waters extend out to 12 miles and further in the Gulf of Mexico.

FWC has jurisdiction over the Oriskany site and it's 22 miles out.

Did it land upright?

I haven't seen the wreck but I have it on good authority that she is upright and that the "dish" issue is being dealt with today on the sight. :wink:

I've been told that the viz inside the wreck is 0'. :depressed: And that it will take a couple days to clear up.

If I'm not mistaken, Federal waters extend out to 12 miles and further in the Gulf of Mexico.

FWC has jurisdiction over the Oriskany site and it's 22 miles out.

Yes, the VANDENBERG is in Federal waters, but outside state waters. So, unless the USCG put the temporary restricted zone in place and there was an active notice to mariners, I suspect the BONSAI thing will be thrown out? But who knows, this whole project has been a charlie foxtrot with a lot of crazy stuff going on.
FWC received title of the ORISKANY from the USN, but their jurisdiction is fairly nebulous since it is beyond state and federal waters. Their oversight can't control who can dive on the wreck or other related activities. Its even questionable if they could do anything should someone recover items from the vessel as things gets real hazy. This was discussed a year or so ago when someone recovered a gauge or something from the wreck and people here on SB made a big fuss.

my understanding is that federal waters (jurisdiciton) extend out to 200nm in the gulf of mexico(the flower garden banks national marine sanctuary which is over 100nm from land is an example),,,,,

reefman
key largo

my understanding is that federal waters (jurisdiciton) extend out to 200nm in the gulf of mexico(the flower garden banks national marine sanctuary which is over 100nm from land is an example),,,,,

reefman
key largo

I'm no expert on this.... but I think it's 12 miles in the Atlantic and something like 30 miles in the gulf. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

However, the 200 miles you're talking about is the "Exclusive Economic zone". this protects offshore resources such as fisheries and mining, drilling, etc.

402px-Zonmar-en.svg.png

in other news... here are some of the first underwater pics of the Vandenberg, brought to you by Bonasai divers. (the ones referenced above by diving on the wreck before it was officially open).

vbuw1.JPG

vbuw2.jpg

Federal is outside 3 nm. State is inside 3 nm. The EEZ generally follows the continental shelf, except in some spots in FL.

The artificial reef site where the Vandenberg now rests was leased to the City of Key West for 99 years. Anyone who thinks "the legality of it all will be WAY up in the air" is certainly a fool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom