Heads up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you say so; I look at the NHC website several times a day when there are potential storms brewing and I never have seen the posted probability for this one higher than 40%.
It could have been a mistake at their end. I've learned not to argue with NHC.

It could have been a mistake at their end. I've learned not to argue with NHC.
I just saw it change from 40% to 50% (last night) and then back to 40% (today), so yeah, it happens.

I was caught in something like this about five or six years ago here. Just before we were going in for our second dive, the call came in the radio the port was closed. We hightailed it back to the marina. I think I was wetter on the boat than in the water.

Today's squall....

IMG_20240831_161002570_HDR.jpg

Those fancy Aldora boat coats came in handy this afternoon … felt like being an NFL player coming to the sideline in a snow game!

So, the disturbance closing on the Yucatan peninsula that did have a 60% chance of organizing in a week went up to 70% this morning, now at 80%. But it may have passed the peninsula by the time that happens; hard to say. I would prepare for possibly heavy rains. Some streets do have poor drainage. That orange area by the Cape Verde islands has a 50% chance in the coming week and it could really develop in the time it takes to blow across the Atlantic.

Screenshot 2024-09-22 153538.png

Now known as POTENTIAL TROPICAL CYCLONE NINE, expectations are growing with Tropical Storm warnings from Havana to Tulum...
1727115499703.png

Winds expected to arrive tomorrow evening...
1727115635975.png

With it probably staying in the channel as it passes, it'll be increasingly fueled by the warm water as it heads towards Chicago... :)
1727115862951.png

Since tropical storms spin counterclockwise and Cozumel is predicted to be on the west, "clean" side of the storm, the island likely won't get much bad weather from the storm. OTOH, for the same reason, any wind Cozumel will see likely will be from the north to northwest as the storm passes through the channel between the Yucatan and Cuba, so the port may be closed for a bit.

Her name will be Helene if nothing changes and she'll make hurricane strength after arriving on the Gulf and growing as she heads for the US.

1727142276883.png

Back
Top Bottom