Have Y'all Noticed Hurricane Rita Heading Your Way...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha:
I'm sticking it out. I have hopes of getting on my plane to Bonaire from IAH on Saturday. I'll take any prayers I can get. I'm 27 miles north of Galveston.

Hey I am the guy from Austin that met you at Sea Space. I fly airplanes for a living. If it is hitting like they say there will no flights out of Houston on late Friday, all day Saturday and most of Sunday. GET OUT NOW! Just my opinion. Airplanes cost lots of money. We fly in absolutely terrible weather BUT we do not fly into a city that is just about to be hit.
I used to live in League City and where I lived would be under water with the type of rain they are expecting.
Bonaire can wait. You can't.

Natasha:
I can't get this link to open. Can you C&P some it . Thanks!

Welcome

Start Messages
Search View

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discussions
Pages 1 2
Read Next

Getting ready Text Size Tools Interest
Will IAH Close? Discussion 4

To ALL
Sep-21 2:30 PM
Msg 4.1
1 of 13

Posts 0

Anyone know if and when george Bush Intercontinental Airport will close?

Also, anyone here from the tomball area?

Rating Options Reply Report a Violation

To ALL
Sep-21 2:41 PM
Msg 4.2 reply to 4.1
2 of 13

Posts 0

Have it from a source in the Continental operations center that normal ops will continue till about Friday at 10am. After that, slowly trailing off with shutdown by 4-5pm.

Northern Spring (200 yards south of Tomball here)

To ALL
Sep-21 3:04 PM
Msg 4.3 reply to 4.2
3 of 13

Posts 0

Since I am supposed to be flying into IAH this weekend for a cruise, does anyone have any idea how long the airport would be closed?

To ALL
Sep-21 3:19 PM
Msg 4.4 reply to 4.1
4 of 13

Posts 0

I believe my sister lives in the Tomball area. Her kids went to Cypress Creek. Are they in any evacuation area? I cannot get through to her because all the phone lines are tied up. Thank you.

To ALL
Sep-21 3:36 PM
Msg 4.5 reply to 4.4
5 of 13

Posts 0

Tomball is not in the evacuation area. However, they are not in the clear by any means. From a previous post I read that in that Tomball area bottled water and canned goods are gone from store shelves already as well as lumber for boarding up.

To ALL
Sep-21 3:42 PM
Msg 4.6 reply to 4.2
6 of 13

Posts 0

I am supposed to be flying into IAH Friday morning around 8am. Leaving at 9:30am. When did you get the update for IAH closing? Just hoping that my flight doesn't get canceled. :)

To ALL
Sep-21 10:01 PM
Msg 4.7 reply to 4.6
7 of 13

Posts 0

Listen numb nuts... The last thing people around here aren't worried about is your flight getting canceled. Most people can't get enough supplies right now because all the stores are sold out. So go tell your sob story about a connecting flight to someone who gives a flying F.

To ALL
Sep-21 10:05 PM
Msg 4.8 reply to 4.7
8 of 13

Posts 0

I booked a flight for my mother-in-law Friday at 9:30, does anyone know if the airport will still be opened?

To ALL
Sep-21 11:31 PM
Msg 4.9 reply to 4.2
9 of 13

Posts 0

Is the operations housed in the Continental office building in downtown Houston? Or are you referring to the operations at the airport? Just wondering. Thanks!

To ALL
Sep-21 11:33 PM
Msg 4.10 reply to 4.1
10 of 13

Posts 0

I don't know about the whole airport, but according to the Continental website, Continental will continue running at least through Thursday and will make a decision at 2pm on Thursday as whether to continue operating throughout the weekend. ( http://www.continental.com/travel/tcTodaysOperations.asp )

Getting ready Text Size Tools Interest
Will IAH Close? Discussion 4

Discussions
Pages 1 2
Read Next

Software © 2005 Prospero Technologies

View Modes
Basic
Framed
Threaded
Discussion Actions
All discussions
Post a message
Mark read
Adjust text size
8 point
9 point
10 point
11 point
12 point
14 point
16 point
18 point
24 point
36 point
Message & Poster Actions
Report Violation
E-Mail this Message
Print Message
Bookmark Page
Add to Friends
Ignore this Author
Remove from Friends List
Stop Ignoring this Author
Rate this message

Discussion Tools
Subscribe
Print Discussion
Interest level
High
Neutral
Ignore
No Chats Available Right Now
Find messages

Advanced Search
View Modes
Basic
Framed
Threaded
My Stuff by section
My Chats
My Forums
My Subscriptions
My Friends
My Preferences
Management Tools

1–Output Debug Messages
2–Extend Script Timeout
4–Don't Cache Templates
8–Enable Trace Mode
16–Don't Cache Stylesheets
32–Don't Cache Content Elements
64–Generate Stylesheet Inline
128–Enable Engine Timers
256–Show Template Rollovers
512–Debug Script Compression
Set Flags Cancel

This morning Rita is passing by Montgomery - over 400 miles away, and we're getting a stiff east breeze and overcast skies from her!
Please, please, if you haven't left coastal Texas, do it now.
For those of you who can remember Carla in the mid '60's; this is much, much bigger. If you can't remember Carla you've never seen anything like this at all.
This is the 1900 Galveston storm again.
Get out.
Looking at this morning's analysis, I'd move the evacuation area all the way to the Louisiana border - Beaumont/Port Arthur...
She's big, she's strong, beyond anything Texas has seen in over a hundred years.
Rick

This little storm has certainly gathered a lot of strength since I posted my last light-hearted words in this thread.

My thoughts go out to those who may be affected by this major hurricane. Be safe!

Best of luck to all of my friends in my former hometown. I lived through 3 tropical storms in Clear Lake, TX and that was enough to convince me that living at 6 ft. above sea level on the Gulf of Mexico probably wasn't such a good idea.

Hoping and praying that Galveston and Houston are spared from the type of carnage that Katrina brought to Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.

parrotheaddiver:
It has been reported today that I45 will be one way north starting at 9:00am..alos reported all hotels in Texas are full...
You may not get room service, but we will house evacuees as needed. Lubbock and Amarillo are ready.

A few suggestions for anyone hitting the road, just in case one might help...

(1) Take more drinking water than you think you'll need. No pit stops.

(2) Take zip lock bags and a secure container to hold used zip locks. No pit stops.

(3) Take room deordorizer. Whew.

(4) Check your radiator along with the rest of your engine before you leave. Wear cool clothing. Windows down and AC off when you're stalled or moving slowly.

(5) Finally, take fill 3 or 4 gallon bleach jugs with non-drinking water and take it, in case your car overheats. Many will.

If you are reading this from the coastal area, you're late leaving. This one is bigger than 1900 storm that level Galveston, the biggest Texas has had in recorded history.

It looks like it is projected to retain hurricane status winds inland as far as Dallas. It could be Oklahoma's first hurricane.

God be with you all...

Sittin' here lookin' at the Satellite loop, and she's just taken a hard right jog... headed straight towards NO!
She did a similar jog yesterday, then headed west again, but this one looks bigger. There should be a new forecast out of NHC here in a few minutes...
Doesn't look good at all.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Sittin' here lookin' at the Satellite loop, and she's just taken a hard right jog... headed straight towards NO!
She did a similar jog yesterday, then headed west again, but this one looks bigger. There should be a new forecast out of NHC here in a few minutes...
Doesn't look good at all.
Rick

Rick we see it that way too. We're still here sticking it out. I'm still praying to get out of IAH..Saturday or Monday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom